It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds Of Fishermen Missing Checks From BP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

GRAND ISLE, La. -- Hundreds of fishermen from Lake Charles to Moss Point, Miss., were supposed to get checks from BP on Wednesday but didn't.

Wednesday night, their lawyer wanted answers.

Jeffrey Briet represents more than 500 fishermen, and he said the payment system he set up with BP required his clients to be paid every 30 days. Now that process has suddenly changed without warning, Briet said.

Not only did they spring it on us that the process has changed, but the people I've been dealing with for six weeks who've done a good job said, 'We don't know what the process is going to be. We're not authorized to talk to you about it. Someone from BP will contact you,'" he said.

But Briet said he hasn't heard from BP or its lawyers. He said the claims people have been given so much conflicting information about the process that they can't provide answers.

"They couldn't tell me," he said. "And I said, 'I've got 500 people I'm meeting on Saturday. They want to know what the process is.'"

It's not the first time BP has given conflicting information.

On June 11, BP's security contractors tried to keep WDSU from speaking to cleanup workers despite the fact that BP released a statement two days earlier saying the workers could speak to the media.

On May 14, St. Bernard Parish fishermen were upset with low pay and out-of-towners taking their work.

Briet said he's meeting with some fishermen from Moss Point Thursday morning and more on Saturday in Jennings. He said BP hasn't given him any indication when the payments will resume.

Just like the 40,000 people who are having thier claims reduced by BP, now the cleanup crews are getting screwed on the pay that BP owes them!

once again... I feel like I'm on a ride at a carnival... I hurl!

This spin HAS GOT TO GO!!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
A majority of these "fisherman" do not keep tax records. If they do, they keep a majority of the income "off the books". Hard working people, no doubt, but when it comes to proving income, they are up a creek.

As a car salesman that used to work in South Louisiana, I know all about banks requiring "Proof of Income" to obtain car financing. This is pretty much the same thing. Prove how much you are losing, or you never made it in the first place.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by Carseller4]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

already posted

you should know cuz
u posted it

[edit on 11-7-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
S&F just another example of how BP has screwed over our nation.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
That's rediculous what they're doing to those people. I wonder what the heck they're doing with the 20 Billion Claims Fund that was made for this sort of thing.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lupin
That's rediculous what they're doing to those people. I wonder what the heck they're doing with the 20 Billion Claims Fund that was made for this sort of thing.

I posted this on the other thread that the OP started.
But since we're gonna have 2, I'll post it here also.

"while this story sounds really bad,
I'm sure we don't know the whole story.

BP may be ridding itself of false or fraudulent claims.

It would have been better if BP had of commented
on the story to give reasons for this. But their silence
only emphasizes the negative aspect of this story. "

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Lupin
What 20 billion dollars?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5cf2e010fde0.png[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Hahaha!... that's a different issue posted at that link My brotha from anotha motha! =
=

This one is about the missing paychecks, and that one is about the fact that BP has shortchanged 40,000 claims against it.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

That's awful I hope they find those fishermen soon. And i am glad BP are checking to see where they are
I wonder if they got their cheques yet.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by tarifa37]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Megiddodiddo
reply to post by boondock-saint

Hahaha!... that's a different issue posted at that link My brotha from anotha motha! =
=

This one is about the missing paychecks, and that one is about the fact that BP has shortchanged 40,000 claims against it.

sorry
did not mean to offend

but are they not related in scope ??
both groups have been shortchanged
by BP. Could they not have been melded
into one post with multiple links?

just asking

new topics

top topics

join