It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal Workers Swept From Jobs in 'Silent Raids'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Illegal Workers Swept From Jobs in 'Silent Raids'

www.nytimes.com

Obama illegal worker plan leaves immigrants jobless, but still in U.S.
BREWSTER, Wash. — The Obama administration has replaced immigration raids at factories and farms with a quieter enforcement strategy: sending federal agents to scour companies’ records for illegal immigrant workers.
Over the past year, Immigration and Customs Enforcement has conducted audits of employee files at more than 2,900 companies. The agency has levied a record $3 million in civil fines so far this year on businesses that hired unauthorized immigrants, according to official figures. Thousands of those workers
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.michaelsavage.wnd.com
www.drudgereport.com

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Obama illegal worker plan leaves immigrants jobless, but still in U.S.

The above headline is how I see it, Why not enforce our Laws?
Great, You have them fired, but not deported. What sense does that make?

"Employers say the audits reach more companies than the work-site roundups of the administration of President George W. Bush." Quote from article.

Republican lawmakers say Mr. Obama is talking tough, but in practice is lightening up.

“Even if discovered, illegal aliens are allowed to walk free and seek employment elsewhere” said Senator Jeff Sessions of Alabama, the senior Republican on the Judiciary Committee. “This lax approach is particularly troubling,” he said, “at a time when so many American citizens are struggling to find jobs.”

Yes, They are replacing these illegals with guest workers.
But what of the illegals, I mean why not deport them, Fine the corporations and businesses that hire them, but they should be deported.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I don't know the exact legalities of what I'm about to bring up but I'm just going to throw this out there:

--Why don't we give any illegals we're finding working jobs a choice of outcome if they qualify? It would be one of two:
A.) They decide to enter into the citizen process with intensive scrutiny and a strict probation plus receiving a jail sentence (under one year) and fined for being here illegally and could qualify for participation in any Alternative Sentencing Programs (i.e. electronic monitoring or work program). This means people get on the path to become citizens while paying back their debt to society in a less costly manner to the State.
B.) They don't want option A and they get put through deportation proceedings. They have a choice and if they pass on it then oh well...

Now, one wouldn't be eligible if there's any criminal convictions in that person's criminal history. And the companies will be prosecuted to the extent of the law.

Now this is only possible, of course, if the security of the boarder is maintained.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mistafaz

That is a really good idea, the people that think deportation is inhuman should like this idea.
Because no-one wants criminals in our country, so, as you stated here: [Now, one wouldn't be eligible if there's any criminal convictions in that person's criminal history. And the companies will be prosecuted to the extent of the law.] end of quote.

I think that would work.
Great Idea and it gives the illegals a chance to become legal with out having to return and apply for their pass port and visa. This will also keep the families together every one is so worried about breaking apart.

Of course I would just deport them all.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Star and flag. Deport all the illegals and make them come back and do it legal and proper from the beginning.

[edit on 7-11-2010 by groingrinder]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I think the reason they don't deport them is that they realize the futility of it.

The same person they deport can easily be back in a couple of months or less. I have met someone who was deported six times. Thats just one person. They would have to militarize the border (I support that) for deportation to be an effective option at all. We should just start shooting people once they cross the border, then they realize they are better off alive in Mexico then dead three feet into America.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 7/11/2010 by DYepes]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

That first option would cost LOTS of money. There is not even any money for LEGAL citizens, so how can we afford to spend money on illegals? \

Oh WAIT a second, I may be wrong in my assumption. ACTUALLY, there is NO money to go around for LEGAL American CITIZENS, but theres ALWAYS PLENTY of money available for other countries and NON-Americans.

So maybe they will take you up on your suggestion since its all about assisting/funding/paying out for all but Americans citizens, so perhaps they will just LOVE that idea!!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
My biggest problem we have today is, Obama wants those new voters for his party.
He wants a new class of people to be totally dependent on the Government.
He's not looking to the future of America, he's looking to create one large welfare state called America and Obama will be your leader and take vacations every month and go golfing.
You, will be working the fields and the sweat shops to keep Obama and his party in money to spend on themselves, not you and your family, your just a body that was born to serve the party.

All you'll remember is, YES, WE Can.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
quohua, in case you're interested in the comments, I think this same or really similar stories with a different twist were already posted twice under both Breaking News and in US Political Madness, but more with a headline more like "illegal workers being rounded up while law enforcement turns a blind eye to the employers who did the hiring."

Here's one of them. Link

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

You know what? People said the same exact thing about Bush wanting the votes. I think the root issues are way beyond who wants what votes, don't you?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

You know I used the Search Function but I didn't change the wording in the Heading of the article.

Thanks for the update on that,

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Baloney

Not exactly sure how it's going to cost LOTS of money?

On the state level, the fines and fees paid for the sentencing would go towards that state's ICE office's operations of catching more illegals. Cost is reduced even more if the person qualifies for an alternative sentencing option such as Electronic Monitoring and Work Programs, both require fees paid to the Sheriff's Department. The option is MUCH more cost effective than proceeding with the deportation procedure since the State will end up paying more for keeping someone in custody.

The option also has the ability to create more jobs for both government and private industries. With greater demand to secure the boarder and catch illegals in the states already, there will be a hiring rush on all levels of law enforcement positions. Private companies win, except for those caught hiring illegals, by providing paid services to assist those in the citizenship process. And companies that create ankle monitoring systems would find themselves gaining government contracts then they can hire more case managers for growing numbers in EM programs. The Electronic Monitoring program is largely paid by the people serving the sentence.

So there, American citizens have an entire field of Immigration Enforcement open to them for jobs.

Any option we put into play to stymie the problem of illegal immigration will to an extent, even the most direct way of just deporting each illegal, is going to cost an amount of money that each side will say is too much or misplaced. In the realm of securing our boarders and stopping illegal immigration, money should be of no object if it means the safety and security of the country.

[edit on 7/11/2010 by mistafaz]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Ok, I'm Canadian, so we don't really have an illegal alien problem.. We mostly get the draft dodgers form the USA when there is a draft

It seems to me that the strategy imposed by the government, is exactly backwards. Your taking the aliens that have jobs, mortgages, kids in school and removing them from their livelihood and fining the companies that hire them. This is causing defaults on payments that support the economy and raises the costs of the goods the companies produce.

The illegals that are the cause of most of the concern aren't being affected by this at all. I mean, a Mexican, comes up into the states, joins a gang and start flogging drugs or enforcing for the drug dealer, car thief or what have you and there is no papers to check up on..no employer to fine. Crime and misery prevail. Who thought up this great scheme? I mean come on, you American who keep voting in these guys really need to get your act together and stop voting for the status quo.

True, Canada isn't much different, and I don't really have much to say about our electoral process. We get hosed about as much as you guys, but with this illegal alien issue I really think there is a better solution.

..Ex

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by guohua
My biggest problem we have today is, Obama wants those new voters for his party.

I think if you were being totally objective, you'd admit that's baloney.

We've had one illegal alien amnesty and one attempted illegal alien amnesty, both under republican administrations. Arizona's illegal population grew 70% from 2000-2008 under the republican administration and has decreased 18% in 2009 under the democrat administration. Mexicans are staunch conservatives and deeply religious, far more likely to vote republican than democrat.

So, if the republicans have a history of offering amnesty to illegals and the democrats are demonstrating tighter controls on illegal immigration, why is this suddenly such a hot issue? Could it be because Jan Brewer is up for election and her poll ratings showed she was a sure loser before she started this illegal immigration flap? Maybe. And maybe the republican voters are being suckered once again.

Rasmussen Polls

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

This has been a growing and pressing issue since 1980, through all the administrations since then. And it's part of the deliberate dismantling of the American workforce that's been going on just as long.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
So they're going after the employers, which is a good thing
Yet they are leaving the illegals free to stay here with no fines, no jail time, no deportation

So again American citizens are made to obey the law or suffer the reprocustions for failing to do so and the people sneaking across our border are being rewarded for breaking our immigration laws, I'll never understand it

Many workers lived in houses they rented from the company; they were given three months to move out.

I find this interesting, sounds like a situation of endentured servitude.

In Brewster, truck payments stopped, televisions were returned, mobile homes were sold, mortgages defaulted.

How do Illegals get a mortgage, or buy a truck ?!

“Many people are still crying because this is really hard,” said M. García, 41, a former Gebbers packing house worker who has been out of a job since January.

Yeah I know all too well how hard it is having been out of work since 08' myself. Question is how are they surviving with no job and no income ? Could they possibly be receiving welfare, food stamps, state health insurance ?

So perhaps this.....

The agency has levied a record $3 million in civil fines so far this year on businesses that hired unauthorized immigrants, according to official figures.
Is only being done to help pay for the benefits they receive when allowed to stay here.

Although I am glad to hear that they are cracking down on the businesses that are employing illegals they need to do the job all the way and start deporting the illegals when they find them.

www.nytimes.com...

Edit for spelling error

[edit on 7/11/2010 by chise61]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Why I disagree with it, and all amnesty type programs is that you are rewarding people for bad behavior, and punishing people for good behavior.

All the people who break the law get a "choice" to become expedited citizens, but all the people who were going through the proper channels get no such favor for being law abiding, rule respecting future citizens.

My other objection is economic, though many of you could care less about economics.

There is a greater supply of labor than there is demand for it. Labor is deliberately kept in greater supply than demand in order to drive the price of labor down. (The preferred number is 5% unemployment.) Bringing in new legal labor by giving amnesty is simply increasing an already too large labor pool and increasing downward pressure on wages.

All the arguments that they do "jobs Americans WONT do" are ridiculous. They do jobs Americans cant AFFORD to do, because of nearly 100 years of artificially low wages CREATED by illegal immigrants in certain fields. Americans would pick crops if they could pay their bills doing so. The wage for that type of work need to rise, and in a free market it would.

But thats what "free market" capitalists dont tell you, and most of you are too ill informed to figure out on your own, that the market in terms of labor has never been free, it isnt free by policy and design, and there is enormous pressure to make sure it is never free, and that labor doesnt get paid a FAIR market value for its efforts.

Yes, prices would go up, but they should be up. And if wages were also where they needed to be, the price increase would not be a huge issue.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Thats because neither party wants illegals out of the country, for slightly different reasons. One wants the cheap labor, the other wants the votes.

Our politicians keep giving amnesty despite the enormous and overwhelming lack of popular support for it because they do not work for you. They work for themselves, and it butters their bread to keep them in the country.

The Republicans are just in the lucky position this round to be able to use illegal immigration as a talking point, and promise they would do something about it, when in fact, as you pointed out, they never have, and they never will. They want them here. The Democratic politicians also want them here.

As long as you continue to vote for two parties that could care less what you want, and promise you whatever you want to hear with NO intention of delivering, you will get nowhere.

Vote them out. Pick a third party, and start voting it.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

So, if the republicans have a history of offering amnesty to illegals and the democrats are demonstrating tighter controls on illegal immigration, why is this suddenly such a hot issue?

Bolding mine

How exactly are the democrats demonstrating tighter controls on illegal immigration ?

<<   2 >>

join