It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good Deeds!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
The specter of mass starvation and poverty in our world of opulent wealth, modern science and technology is an abomination that very well may be the reason why the world is destined for destruction.

There are though a few lights going around doing what supposed to be done. I speak of the bad boy actor Sean Penn and a mysterious donor.

HU WITH THEIR OWN MONEY AND TIME IS TAKING CARE OF 55,000 HAITIANS in a camp.

I say praise to this human being for doing his part using his resources to aid his fellow human.

We need more of this or the world may go down in flames

As it then should!

www.showbiz411.com...

www.vanityfair.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
So what are you doing to save the planet or the people on it?

line

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Actually it is not good to advertise what one does for charity.
Doing good in secret is the best.
But I will make an exception here.

I don’t have much being a working person but I do give to what I consider a good charity Children’s International.

When I get pictures of my sponseed child tears come to my eyes and I pray that God relieve all suffering.

For the spirit I have written a book on metaphysics and contribute, I hope, to the lofty search for cosmic truth.

Book:
search.barnesandnoble.com...

Essays:
www.integralworld.net...

www.integralworld.net...

[edit on 11-7-2010 by inforeal]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
In todays world we are all cynical, and when ever famous people do good, i always am cynical like you guys about the reasons.

Who knows why he did this, but if they help someone and made there life better good for them, though i cannot stand celebrity and there obsession with status.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Personally, I believe it's the small deeds that have the biggest impact on our world.

It's not necessary to be wealthy in order to contribute something positive to your fellow man. That small donation made to the Red Cross can go a long way. Better yet, donate some of your time and volunteer at a soup kitchen, domestic violence shelter, or mentoring kids at the YMCA.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I agree with the above posts but still think charity is not enough in this world when there are those with zillions of dollars and are in control of all the resources and when we have a world where--because of mass communication-- WE KNOW ALL ABOUT THOSE WHO ARE STARVING TO DEATH! OR BEING SLAUGHTER UNJUSTLY SOMEWHERE.

In the past when we didn’t have TV, radio, internet computers, etc., where the world wasn’t aware of every part of the globe there may have been an excuse for preventable starvation and death, and injustice, but with knowledge now the human race is guilty of neglect.

How can we dare waste resources going to mars, and building weapons of mass destruction, and building beautiful golf courses with people dying on the streets in the world of hunger?

We have been given the key, finally, to solving many problems with modern science, communication, and technology and we are wasting it.

That is a fact, and how the universe or God looks on this is another fact THAT WE SOON WILL DEAL WITH!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
What Penn is doing is called Philanthropy. He's showing off, Tom Cruise did the same thing after 9/11. He used it as a scientology pusher though.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Those who can do little should do little
Those who can do much should do much

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

Exellent!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
Those who can do little should do little
Those who can do much should do much

Between this post, and Maria_Stardust, The good points are made, imo.

But the question then becomes how does one become motivated to assist in situations and with people who need assistance?

Where is the drive to be charitable? Does it lie in tax deductions, or are there other motives? What motivates a person to do acts of kindness?

Some people seem naturally predisposed to such acts of kindness and charity, while others may acquire it over a period of time due to having gained and developed compassion, or simply from personal experience.

I'm not speaking from a personal standpoint here, as I am in fact, generous in the charity department with both my time and money.

Some people will gladly give their time, but not their money, while for others, the opposite is true.

For many, neither type act ever occurs to them. I've also known people, who, when embarrassed or somehow coerced into giving to charity, resented it later.

I do believe compassion can be taught, and learned at any age, but it seems to be a subject which is often neglected.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

You said:

In the past when we didn’t have TV, radio, internet computers, etc., where the world wasn’t aware of every part of the globe there may have been an excuse for preventable starvation and death, and injustice, but with knowledge now the human race is guilty of neglect.

But you know as well as the rest of us, that we are limited in what we can do. We would have to become a civilization of full-time philanthropists to accomplish tracking down and solving every needful situation.

I could fill the rest of this page with countries, families, and situations that need immediate help.

I can't go to Haiti. I can't go to Africa or Bosnia. But I can drive across town, and I can write checks. I can open the car door for someone who has arthritis.

But to say that because we are aware, through the media, of all the myriad of situations that are needful, and that we are subsequently mindful and therefore responsible and consequently accountable, strikes me as rather unfair.

If this is what you are implying. Is it?

new topics

top topics

join