It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunspot 1087 growing / Solar Update

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Megiddodiddo

Thanks for linking the picture... A nice addition.

thanks again!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
thanks anyway,

we need OZ over here to clarify!!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by redeyedwonder

feel free to delete this as its a tad off topic. I know before i get griefed its Richard Hoagand on RT
______beforeitsnews/story/98/695/Richard_Hoagland:_Sea_Floor_Set_To_Erupt.html

Richard Hoagland:Sea Floor Set To Erupt.?

Add to that the effects of whats going on? Now im starting to feel a bit wary.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
reply to post by redeyedwonder

feel free to delete this as its a tad off topic. I know before i get griefed its Richard Hoagand on RT
______beforeitsnews/story/98/695/Richard_Hoagland:_Sea_Floor_Set_To_Erupt.html

Richard Hoagland:Sea Floor Set To Erupt.?

Add to that the effects of whats going on? Now im starting to feel a bit wary.

and as I mentioned above, with the cap being off this would be bad timing indeed...

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
So putting aside doom scenarios for the minute, what could we realitstically expect if such a solar flare was to hit earth?

Would it effect the entire globe?

Would all electronics be knocked out?

Would it affect us physically or cause us any pain and would such an event be visible to us?

[edit on 11/7/10 by Kram09]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Not sure if everyone has missed this or it just has not been posted cause it was no in the direction of Earth....but as this sunspot started to show on the eastern limb....on the 9th of July.....it did produce a c3 solar flare....

From Spaceweather.com on the 9th of July....

On July 9th, magnetic fields overlying sunspot 1087 became unstable and erupted. The explosion emitted a bright flash of UV light (a C3-class solar flare) and hurled a massive plume of hot plasma away from the sun.

So far none of the eruptions has been Earth-directed, but this could change in the days ahead as the active region turns to face our planet. Stay tuned for space weather.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
So putting aside doom scenarios for the minute, what could we realitstically expect if such a solar flare was to hit earth?

Would it effect the entire globe?

Would all electronics be knocked out?

Would it affect us physically or cause us any pain and would such an event be visible to us?

[edit on 11/7/10 by Kram09]

The answers are

no, just the side that happens to be facing it...

possibly again the side facing it...

physically i doubt it, and keep an eye on the auroras, it will be a nice light show.

I am off to work for now and will answer any questions put to me tonight when I return home...

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

I have recently kept a open mind about this and not taking other peoples word for it that 'we' wont notice it.

I think if someone is outside, and there is a change in the electromagnetic field around them due to a rain....and a pulse from the flare passes through their area at the right time of them being outside and the changes occur in the field....I do believe that a 'pulse' feeling can be felt. Almost like a 'scattering' of the mind for a second...the body may feel 'jolted' ....possible small vertigo feeling or a amp in energy.....

This is not proven though, and many dispute the idea of such things being able to happen.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I have been following the sunspot since it occured - there is another thread on ATS about it. Day before yesterday NASA seemed to think we would be fine. Yesterdays report seemed a little more grim as the spot had increased rapidly and it will face the earth soon. The links provided here by the OP appear even more grim. Awaiting NASA's report today which should be out early evening.

This is a bit scary - if it affects the grid - things will shut down mostly likely in a lot of locations. I doubt there would be any harm to humans or animals but I am not an expert.

I could not view the vid re the sea floor collapse - I was interested - any other links for this possible occurance?

Thank all of you for your posts, let's keep an eye on this one!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Anything further to add from anyone?
The topics on all related threads have stood still for a while now?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I did want to ask if anyone knows just when the flare is due to face the earth. NASA just states soon - wish we knew how soon. My boyfriend is a Ham Operator and he is experiencing a lot of interference now.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
from the article on space weather the following

Sunspot 1087 is developing into a behemoth many times wider than Earth. It now has dozens of dark cores with a long magnetic filament snaking among them. "What amazing active region!" says Britta Suhre who sends this picture from his backyard observatory in Rosenheim, Germany:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
This sun spot will be turning towards the Earth over the next few days...the latest pic is here showing its enormous magnetic filament and dozens of dark cores. The flare that occurred on the 9th is the largest it has produced and this was not projected towards Earth.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

Sun spots, solar flares, and eclipses (solar and lunar) have been tied to earthquake activity.

A Big earthquake has been predicted to happen during the next few days.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Thanks for answering my question - in the next few days. BTW awesome image!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The thing that most concerns me about a major solar flare is satellite orbital control. Who cares if we lose communications, that can be patched, rerouted (sure it's a hassle, but it's tolerable).

The real problem is if several dozen, or even maybe hundreds of satellites lose orbital control at once then the possibility of The Kessler Syndrome really begins to take shape.

Imagine, satellites crashing into satellites, creating huge debris clouds that spiral out of control, crashing into other satellites, etc. Very soon those clouds could make it impossible to have anything in orbit because we would be surrounded by a virtual shooting gallery of satellite debris.

Maybe that's why these large military aircraft contractors are getting back into large airship design. Once we lose satellite capabilities, we'll need to have some form of high altitude platforms to provide communications and aerial surveillance.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

As of now 1087 remains quiet, but the new sunspot in the southern region is getting more pronounced...

Source

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Awesome pic thanks, I dont like the idea of a filament over it as well. We will just have to see how this progresses, but its huge!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Interesting how the shape of the 1859 sunspot and the pic of today kinda resemble each other,.. Hmm

[edit on 11-7-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Wow good info and link. I was just looking at an image of all the earth satellites yesterday, so many of them out there.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join