It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get in touch with people

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Young people are out of touch with real people because they are into their tech.

If we don't get in touch with people, that's it.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Catwhoknows

Hey - I think you summed it up quite well.

No need for a second line

Cheers
Shane

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
As a parent, this is something I worried about ever since my son was born. Will he learn from me, or will he get lost in a sea of information, never to recover, only to be swept away from the neverending whirlpools of lies and deceit? How can I reach out to him before its too late?

Then it dawned on me earlier tonight. Pay attention to him. Sometimes I find myself too becoming a product of my environment. Simply put, I need to walk away from the computer, or get away from what's being spewed forth from the telly. It is not enough to say I love him, but be there and pay attention to him. His thoughts/ his feelings. hell, if it weren't for my parents loving me and demonstrating just that, I wouldn't have made that connection several years later

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
There are positives to this too.

People like me prefer nothing to do with humans, and are quite happy with technologies like the net to keep us occupied.

Not everyone is comfortable with people, seeing as around 90% of humans are wannabee murderers.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
There are positives to this too.

People like me prefer nothing to do with humans, and are quite happy with technologies like the net to keep us occupied.

Not everyone is comfortable with people, seeing as around 90% of humans are wannabee murderers.

I get your point, although I believe she was referring to us being mentors to people who are lost, or need guidance in some way. Some of us can be mentors and will, some of us can't be and won't. You aren't a parent are you?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

Yes, keep into your tech!

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

Na the world is full of all types of people, and alot of them, have no real want for humans as a need for them anymore.

Just imagine 15 years back before the net hit everywhere on mass, humans needing other humans was still a big thing.

Personally i do not care for that stuff, and i can see why humans do not bother with other humans and have there lifes in to the net and gaming or what ever nowadays.

Thankfully the net filled a gap that humans needed others to fill before, and although not quite the same, its far safer sticking with the net and games or what have you over spending time with wannabee murderers.

There are loads of reasons why staying away from other humans is a positive thing, plus humans have always did that to a certain degree, not just with the net.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Eh, Touche! Well if what you said wasn't true, I probably wouldn't be on here right now discussing things from the safe comfort of my computer chair.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I do totally agree with you OP, but there are Pro's to tech.

I can keep in easy contact with friends all over the country and world, which for me is the biggest bonus of the internet. Some really good friends I've known since infant school and still keep in contact with 30+ years later. It's nice and easy and doesn't spank the hell out of my phone bill.

On the other side of that though, there's a guy I work with that just plonks his kid down infront of the Xbox, the boy is a sweet little dude, but he has no communication skills at all, he's really going to suffer at school because of this.

Children and adults need interaction to be functioning members of society, of course some adults don't want that and that's fine for them to choose.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
No human is born out of a rock.

We have and will always have families, relatives and friends along the journey of life. Mankind were not meant to live alone like robots, but given the gift of love, to know love, its beauty, its joys, its pains, its redemptive powers.

And beauty of life is more than just skin deep, beyond the metalic cage of self imposition of loneliness we encase ourselves inside, as examplified by Beethovan. He was borned deaf, and yet could compose such beautiful melodies as this. It comes from within and should be shared.

Such makes us human not robots. No person needs to live in isolation and loneliness, and must share life so that we will know the practicalities of our aspirations and common aims through discussions and debates, and not the theoratical fantasies or delusions that a coped up person will descend into.

I fear for those whom lives revolves around the computer. It only creates isolation and theories, which will not be of any use to anyone no matter how good or informative one learns from the net. And when we are alone, we will be easier to be dealt with by those who sought to enslave us - keep us entertained and glued to the comp, live to pay for access, and robots will we become...

[edit on 11-7-2010 by SeekerofTruth101]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Hi Cat, this cartoon I found recently sums it up nicely.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Ha, that cartoon sums up ATS nicely.

line 2

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
No person needs to live in isolation and loneliness, and must share life so that we will know the practicalities of our aspirations and common aims through discussions and debates, and not the theoratical fantasies or delusions that a coped up person will descend into.

I fear for those whom lives revolves around the computer. It only creates isolation and theories, which will not be of any use to anyone no matter how good or informative one learns from the net. And when we are alone, we will be easier to be dealt with by those who sought to enslave us - keep us entertained and glued to the comp, live to pay for access, and robots will we become...

Explain to me why i and others who do not want anything to do with humans have any need to change. Just because you think humans are great does not mean we all subscribe to that belief.

There has always been a percentage of humans that want to be alone, and thankfully the net and other things help in that direction.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
On the other side of that though, there's a guy I work with that just plonks his kid down infront of the Xbox, the boy is a sweet little dude, but he has no communication skills at all, he's really going to suffer at school because of this.

Children and adults need interaction to be functioning members of society, of course some adults don't want that and that's fine for them to choose.

What about these people who cannot really communicate, do you not think the net helps them, and where would they be without the net, nowhere, as society thinks humans are all out going wannabee murderer types who need certain things, but what if you do not want these things.

Everyone here seems to think humans can and want to be like them, but its not true.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Me to explain? Am I your teacher? More so to you whom already made up your mind to be alone and better off encasing yourself within that computer box?

No. What matters is not what I think. What matters is what you think, for it is only your own life, no one else can live it, and either benefits or suffer for its consequences.

I and others can only offer insights, and up to you to consider if you chosed not to ignore our posts. It's your freedom to reject or accept it as it is. It's your gift of life and how you want to make full use of it.

At the end of the day when our shells/bodies return to dust, and our consiousness return to the cosmos as matter, just have no regrets for the lives you touched, could have touched and those you did not touch that could have made a difference in your life....

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

yep, i am sure i made the right decisions, and thankfully my communication skills also helped in me being this way and choosing this way.

But i am just speaking up for those who want to be alone, and alot of us are better of for it. Life is short in real terms, and thankfully you only have one chance at it.

I am just glad i found out the monsters that exist in humans before i wanted to travel down the road most people follow.

There are positives and negatives for everything in life, and the net has helped people like me thankfully it exists just for that positive, although there are negatives.

But i am for one glad that the net has taken some of the need to be with others away, and thankfully the net came in the right time in my life, as life is so boring what ever course you travel.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I think you took that a little out of context, or I did not make it clear enough - what I mean is that people are a myriad of things, the internet is neither benign nor malign, it's just a tool.

For some people this can be a very useful thing, for others just a minor distraction, others still a way of life, a way to be whatever they want to (online). I think the biggest danger of the internet and/or technology is as I previously mentioned, when it takes the place of parenting - I think it totally sucks that my colleague just puts his little boy infront of the X-Box because it keeps him quiet.

You as a (hopefully) rational adult can chose to do what you want (within reason and certain limitations) and that's totally fine.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Andy is 100% correct. The net provides an interface and an outlet for those that are not socially oriented. But Andy, you seem to think that 90% of people are "wannabe murderers"? What's up with that?

ETA:

Lyrics for Andy...

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me;
I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

And a rock feels no pain;
And an island never cries.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by mishigas]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
Young people are out of touch with real people because they are into their tech.

If we don't get in touch with people, that's it.

Kids may not have face to face contact, but the trend that I find most disturbing is children of 8 or 10 years old with a cell phone.

When you do talk to them, or see something they have written, they use text lingo.

While it may actually be easier for them to contact, or talk to people via the internet or a cell phone, they are missing out by not having a baseball game with the other children down the street!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

If you went through what i have you see what people really are. Like the saying, you see who your friends are when things go wrong in life.

If you see another number to be placed in my 90%, thats your choice.

For me 90% of people are a waste of time, and love to violate and destroy others period.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join