It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hover Board (AS in the back to the future variety)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Gentill Abdulla

A hover board? I guess google could help you out on this.
However, I am quite tired of ths futuristic stuff. that never seems to materialize.

By now I was supposed to be vacationing 5 days a week, riding in flying vehicles that I didn't even need to drive. Computers would do it all. Robots would clean my house and fix my meals.

I consider my Grandpap, back in the 1960's saying, wow. I was born when we had to ride mules and plow fields on foot behind such mules. doctors could only give us morphine or prescribe us marijuana, yes, he said that, or cold compresses and war was fought on horseback or on foot, and a soldier looked his enemy in the eyes, usually, when he killed.
I have seen flying machines created, I have seen great massive steel machines of war devastate entire cities of innocent people, I watched humans land and walk on the moon. And people no longer want to pay a bit for some fresh homemade bread baked by your Grandmum, and instead want to buy some crap from a factory. I have seen so much. And I fear what you will see in your lifetime. It's amazing times we live in, Junior, it can be a blessing or a curse. I enjoy seeing this all happen, because I am living in a great history, but I think no good will come of it all in the end. And I am happy to die before I see much more.

Good luck with the hover skateboard. I'd love to ride one someday! Will it come with handlebars? I'm getting kind of shakey here lately. lol

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gentill Abdulla

And I also thought after to recharge the magnets to use wind turbines to help power the magnets while the object is already moving.

Also I don't get this bit. You are going to "recharge the magnets"? How is this performed? Why do the magnets need recharging?

This will have wind turbines too? If your hoverboard is self propelled the wind turbines will create drag and cause you to lose more power then you gain.

I think you may need to develop your idea a little further and explain it better in order for anybody to help you. Otherwise the best proof of concept is a prototype.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by GobbledokTChipeater

Hovercrafts are different than hover boards.

While a hovercraft uses a cushion of air hover boards do not.

But aren't you pushing the air down tubes which get smaller and smaller? If that's the idea, then while not actually a hovercraft, you are still using air pressure. Otherwise how does it hover

It does do that. But it's better than those and goes higher.

If you see how normal hover craft work they work differently than hover boards.

Some people usually say magnetism is the best way for a hover board.Others go with air, but I thought of using both.

If the heated air is used then the craft begins to weigh less and act like a hot air balloon.

And the magnetism increases pressure and intensity using gusts magnetism and a little heat.

Here is a link to how a normal hover craft looks like, oh and I forgot to mention that hover crafts contain the air in something called a skirt but I release it increasingly to provide lift...

www.urbanjunkie.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   

And I also thought after to recharge the magnets to use wind turbines to help power the magnets while the object is already moving.

Also I don't get this bit. You are going to "recharge the magnets"? How is this performed? Why do the magnets need recharging?

This will have wind turbines too? If your hoverboard is self propelled the wind turbines will create drag and cause you to lose more power then you gain.

I think you may need to develop your idea a little further and explain it better in order for anybody to help you. Otherwise the best proof of concept is a prototype.

I previously stated that I could use either electro-magnets or ferromagnetic materials, or even both.

The turbines do produce drag but the wind can be redirected in a way that brings more power.

Magnets would need to recharge as they lose power when this occurs.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   

I previously stated that I could use either electro-magnets or ferromagnetic materials, or even both.

The turbines do produce drag but the wind can be redirected in a way that brings more power.

Magnets would need to recharge as they lose power when this occurs.

Aside from the normal problems you would come up with (power requirements, lift, control) I think the whole thing is based on airy-fairy sciences at best. Already you are talking about a machine that creates more energy than it uses, which, unless you are awesome, is scientifically impossible.

I'm sorry to tell you but it won't work. I would love for you to prove me wrong though. Once you have one built let me know and I will help you promote it

[edit on 11/7/10 by GobbledokTChipeater]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
This thread should be in skunk works, come on everything proposed in here is laughable at best. I must say the OP is doing a good job of brushing past the very basics of known and proven physics. I guess if we ignore the rules, they'll just go away lol.

Hot air balloons, air moving magnets, mini turbines, a hover board sized object having the lifting capacity of a hot air balloon.

This surely is a troll / joke thread.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by who-me?
This thread should be in skunk works. I guess if we ignore the rules, they'll just go away lol.

Hot air balloons, air moving magnets, mini turbines, a hover board sized object having the lifting capacity of a hot air balloon.

Would you care to elaborate?

And I never said that it would have the LIFTING CAPACITY of a hot air ballon.

I said the concept would be SIMILAR to a hot air balloon.

But you are right it should be in skunk works.

I'm going to see if I can't get a mod to move it.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by Gentill Abdulla]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
use sound waves in a beam....

blah blah resonance blah blah lift blah blah?

[edit on 11-7-2010 by Wertdagf]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Aside from the normal problems you would come up with (power requirements, lift, control) I think the whole thing is based on airy-fairy sciences at best. Already you are talking about a machine that creates more energy than it uses, which, unless you are awesome, is scientifically impossible.

I'm sorry to tell you but it won't work. I would love for you to prove me wrong though. Once you have one built let me know and I will help you promote it

I am in no way saying that this doesn't use a lot of power.I am just using this thread as a rough draft.

It's not creating more energy it is just trying to get back some that it transformed.

See the heat made it light the rotation helped increase pressure pushing it.

The turbine used the wind that was caused by the pressure and uses that to recharge the magnets.

Nothing more nothing less.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   

It's not creating more energy it is just trying to get back some that it transformed.

If you create drag then the machine will use more energy that it would without the turbine. Even if you harvest some of the energy, the net energy usage will still be higher than without the turbine.

See the heat made it light the rotation helped increase pressure pushing it.

The turbine used the wind that was caused by the pressure and uses that to recharge the magnets.

Nothing more nothing less.

I will give you a basic idea:
If you take a look at this wiki page you will see that 1 cubic metre of air at 15 degrees celsius weighs 1.225 kilograms. The same volume of air at 35 degrees celsuis weighs 1.1455 kilograms.

Therefore, if you increase the temperature of a crapload of air (1 cubic metre) from 15 degrees celsius to 35 degrees celsius (this will take a lot of energy) then you will save approximately 80 grams. You can probably save more by having a pee before hopping on your hoverboard.

The other ideas I can't touch on because I don't fully understand.

But you don't need to convince me, build it!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Get going on your idea and give Nils guadagnin some competition.

Who is Nils guadagnin? I never heard of him either until I ran across an article about him and his hover board design.

He has been working on a hover board for a few years now using electromagnets, only problem with his idea (if he ever develops one to support human weight) is, you will be limited to a set track or course, which is kinda lame.

Here is a thread I started last month about his board.

Here is a demo video.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Gentill Abdulla

To elaborate, you'd need a cubic kilometer of air all heated from 15 to 35 degrees to lift the average man. This is of course assuming your now gigantic hover board itself is weightless.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
It looks like somebody beat you to it:

The more traditional version (also a video):

gizmodo.com...

www.trendhunter.com...

cannot overstate the significance of this news. French artist Nils Guadagnin has done the semi-possible: He's recreated the hoverboard from Back to the Future II. And it totally works...so long as no one stands on it.

The board floats through simple electromagnetism, but the more brilliant part of the design seems to be a laser stabilization system that, we're assuming, dynamically adjusts the magnets to keep the board afloat under duress. Just watch Nils push on the board near the end of the clip. It responds with little more than a shrug.
Source: gizmodo.com...

Also, just to note, I don't think that your legal disclaimer is really valid. I don't think it would when you any court battles if someone stole your design.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   

I'm sorry to tell you but it probably won't work. I would love for you to prove me wrong though. Once you have one built let me know and I will help you promote it

Yes I feel the same way,

A contraption would suck the air in and exhaust a suitable amount of pressure out to not only hover but also carry a person. I do not know the pressure per weight ratio so it's really impossible to guess, also the size would have physical limitation and must be sorted out before you can even make the design.

The other way is creating a magnetic current to negatively or positively charge against the Earth, like pushing a negative and positive magnet together,
sounds very simple but no one seems to have done it yet (we think).

Overall the design must be intrinsic to the mechanics unless there is some breakthrough or new invention.

all the best.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   

If you create drag then the machine will use more energy that it would without the turbine. Even if you harvest some of the energy, the net energy usage will still be higher than without the turbine.

I will give you a basic idea:
If you take a look at this wiki page you will see that 1 cubic metre of air at 15 degrees celsius weighs 1.225 kilograms. The same volume of air at 35 degrees celsuis weighs 1.1455 kilograms.

Therefore, if you increase the temperature of a crapload of air (1 cubic metre) from 15 degrees celsius to 35 degrees celsius (this will take a lot of energy) then you will save approximately 80 grams. You can probably save more by having a pee before hopping on your hoverboard.

So ok how about I cut the turbines.

Now I just use the heating and expulsion of air.

Remember though these are small there are many of them.

So it still needs a stronger power source for the heat.

I guess it would be good for a hamster, but it would have to have a lot more heated air for a human.

As far as I can see you would have to wait until you accumulated enough air inside the air place to be more than a humans wait for lifting.

But you have seen the power of these hot air balloons right?

They are huge!

Again just a thought of mine.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seventytwo

Yes I feel the same way,

A contraption would suck the air in and exhaust a suitable amount of pressure out to not only hover but also carry a person. I do not know the pressure per weight ratio so it's really impossible to guess, also the size would have physical limitation and must be sorted out before you can even make the design.

Overall the design must be intrinsic to the mechanics unless there is some breakthrough or new invention.

all the best.

I wish there was some way of grabbing the magnetic field of our planet and using that to accelerate us into space.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   

As far as I can see you would have to wait until you accumulated enough air inside the air place to be more than a humans wait for lifting.

They are huge!

Yep hot air balloons are huge because they have to be!

In the example I gave earlier (1 cubic metre of air heated from 15 degrees celsius to 35 degrees celsius) you would need 750 cubic metres of heated air to lift a 60 kilogram person off the ground.

That is a box about 9 metres by 9 metres by 9 metres. It's not a hoverboard now, it's a balloon!

For the individual jets to do anything, you either need to create a large high pressure area under the hoverboard, the same as a hovercraft, or you need to generate thrust, which you won't be able to do with a fan.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   

They are huge!

Yep hot air balloons are huge because they have to be!

In the example I gave earlier (1 cubic metre of air heated from 15 degrees celsius to 35 degrees celsius) you would need 750 cubic metres of heated air to lift a 60 kilogram person off the ground.

That is a box about 9 metres by 9 metres by 9 metres. It's not a hoverboard now, it's a balloon!

For the individual jets to do anything, you either need to create a large high pressure area under the hoverboard, the same as a hovercraft, or you need to generate thrust, which you won't be able to do with a fan.

I have another question because if it is right then the hoverboard would be possible but I wouldn't be able to do it.

What speed will the air catching hollow ring need to rotate to get that amount of air?

Should be pretty fast, because if there is high pressure then it could be caused by the speed.

I think I know of a way but I don't want to resort to it.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   

What speed will the air catching hollow ring need to rotate to get that amount of air?

Should be pretty fast, because if there is high pressure then it could be caused by the speed.

How long is a piece of string? There are a lot of variables.

I can't answer that question because I don't really understand what you are saying nor do I think it will work. You realise 750 cubic metres is 750 000 litres right?

You will need do a lot more learning and answer it yourself otherwise you will never get this thing off the ground.

Edit to add: I've learnt the best (and most fun) way to learn is to just get in and build it! Then if you want to know what it will do if you make a particular modification (for example) you can just do it.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by GobbledokTChipeater

What I am saying is that it is dependent on how fast the hollow air catching ring can go not the heat.

(You really contradict yourself when you say you don't understand what I am saying about it but think it wont work.)

Because if I can get more air in over a period of time then it would be easier than heating the air due to the amount of air there is.

I was wondering if using a weight system to cap the tubes until lift off would be necessary.

It would ensure that you would have the correct upward distance.

And then the original magnet system can be used to keep the velocity going.

It would still need a fuel system.

Rechargeable battery?(As in the fat car batteries.)

[edit on 11-7-2010 by Gentill Abdulla]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join