It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Stories of Scars.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I was driving today, and casually and randomly looked down at my knee. I noticed the scars on it, and it brought back all kinds of memories.

It got me thinking about the rest of the scars on my body, and how scars really do tell stories. Some of them ouchie, some of them maybe slightly hilarious, etc...

When you look at a scar, do memories come flashing back to you as well?
I find it to be cool how our skin tells a story.

I actually think certain scars are pretty cool looking. They give a person's skin some personality.

So, what are your thoughts on scars? love em? hate em? discuss.

-Sol

[edit on 10-7-2010 by SolarE-Souljah]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I don't care for my mental scars, as far as the physical ones go, they do tell stories and yes I do flash on them occasionally.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I have one scar that I don't like to think about it brings back too much pain and misery. As for the childhood scars on the knees and such, yes they bring back memories. My boyfriend and I have told stories of our scars, we both have a skating scar on our right knee.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Your right, scars definitely tell stories. I have so many, from my 'wild' days which I have mostly tried to push out of my memory, but when I look at one of them it def does remind me of that story. As far as them being 'cool' lol, nah I think I could do without them, but they def are apart of my character so no ill will. Cool post idea.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I know scars can be a painful topic...

But I kind of see them like natural tattoos trutfully, especially unique looking scars... its like our skin is the canvas and nature has etched something into them.

I have one where they are two perfectly paralell slash marks right next to each other. looks like I got attacked by a wild animal. That is one of my favorites.

Yes, we all have scars we would rather not have, but guarantee you have at least one scar that you sort of like.

-Sol

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I have a scar that happened when someone bumped their bike tire on mine and I ate dirt. It made me a more "cautious" parent.

But getting to know my neighbors and such I found a young woman of 17 years of age and she is a nasty dehumanizer. She will ridicule anyone for any reason of her own mind. But once I saw her scar on her chest and asked about it.... I was somewhat sympathetic towards her because she was once a baby who had a heart condition who had a operation.

She is evil, but I felt so much emotion for her scar. I surmise it is because I have kids though.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Mine runs from my ribs to my belly button

Did you know that if they operate on an unborn baby it leaves no scars.

MM

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Lol, immediately thought of Harry Potter

As for my own scars. I will be really honest... I have a couple scars that I don't actually remember the story too. Not sure why. I remember the stories of some of my scars, but there is a large circular (flesh colored) mark on my right forearm that I just honestly don't remember getting. Same with a straight line scar on the other side of the same arm. I know they aren't weird, because it's not like I just woke up one day with new scars that I couldn't remember getting, but their stories just must not have been important enough for my brain to keep. Hm.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Acne scars don't give someone wonderful memories

I have a scar in between my chin and lips and I cringe when I think of it lol I fell off my bike and then tried to jump out of a moving truck so I wouldn't have to get stitches. I am terrified of needles lol

All my other scars make me laugh

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I have two scars on my head, one on top that's about 7 inches long and one on the left side of my head - travels from in front of my ear to the back of my head - that is pretty impressive. I got them going through a plate glass window when I was a teenager.

I recently got tired of my hair getting gray and wiry, so I shaved my head. To be honest, I expected both scars to be a lot more dominant, but they aren't and I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or not. The 10 inch scar on the side of my head is pretty obvious, but not anything more than a line that runs from my face, over my ear and then to the back of my head. The one on the top of my head - that one I was more worried about since I'd never actually seen how it healed before going ahead and shaving off everything - was a bit of a letdown. I kinda thought I'd have a nice Frankenstein jag up there with cross-stitches and everything. Nope, just another clean line.

I have another scar on my left cheek, just below my eye (fight), and a "smile" on my right hand (another fight), but the ones I really identify with are the ones on my head. Probably now, especially, since the new shaved-head look has reintroduced me to them. I think they go well with overall look. A little character, maybe. And no, no one has asked me about them yet. I guess I find that surprising.

My 1st wife had twin scars on her forearm - about 1.5" long and sort of oblong in shape. I asked her how she got them, and she told me that they used to play a game when she was a teenager, where they'd hold their forearms together and drop a lit cigarette where the arms touched. The first one to pull away in pain as the cherry roasted their skin was a pussy. She played the game twice and won both times. She was pretty tough.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by NorEaster]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I totally jinxed myself by making this thread...

The day I wrote this, later that night, I fell off of a car that was in motion and slammed my head onto concrete and scuffed out my arm pretty good.

I'm doin fine now, but it was definitely ironic.

-Sol

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Got me a recent scar near my solar plexus. Still treating with scar gel and anti-biotics. The size of a penny. Nasty upon my pristine skin and forever a fleshy reminder of `Caveat Emptor`!!!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Posts such as these have zero purpose on this site. Feel free to babble on and on about your personal irrelevant observations on "social networking" sites such as %#*@book. This way, only your inner circle of like minded friends will have to waste their time reading your crap. You have wasted 30 seconds of my life, thanks and congratulations!

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jitombe

Wow! That was harsh and unnecessary. Sometimes people need a way to get away. This is a good thread because it can take people away from the some times devastating threads that can be here.

I think that sharing sometimes can open people up to a place that they are willing to share with others, in a place that sometimes we cant share with people that we deal with every day.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Well, unlike the previous poster, I chose to read this thread knowing full well that I might not appreciate the content.

Scars are roadmaps of our adventures through this life and have many stories to tell. They tell these stories to ourselves when we look at them and to others we tell about them. They can be conversation starters or closers.

I have so many small scars that tell so many stories, I could write a book. The bigger scars would fill a smaller book, but lots of people have the same types of those scars, so they wouldn't be as fun to talk about.

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Ceriddwen]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jitombe

I personally think this thread fits perfectly into the board that I posted it in. Go doom and gloom somewhere else. This is actually a pretty deep topic if you really get down to it.

-Sol

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jitombe

Posts such as these have zero purpose on this site. Feel free to babble on and on about your personal irrelevant observations on "social networking" sites such as %#*@book. This way, only your inner circle of like minded friends will have to waste their time reading your crap. You have wasted 30 seconds of my life, thanks and congratulations!

ouchie!

That little swipe's gonna leave a scar.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I have many scars and I have a problem with them that If I go swimming at my gym I wear a vest because the scars I carry are a little unpleasant to look at. I have stab wounds, slash wounds, and a very long one that traverses my midriff.

Those are just ones I am willing to mention.

Scars of a physical nature always leave twined scars in the psyche too but mostly we can suppress them and pretend we are not bothered by them. I am not bothered by my scars unless the sun is blazing and I have an urge to go pretty much go topless and then remember, I am a train track.

Each scar is twinned to it memories and some are more psychologically painful than others. At this time in my life I am working on getting over them so I can just not give a damn if I find someone looking at them.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Have a couple bullet scars, shrapnel scars and ptsd from 4 tours in vietnam when was young and stupid.. Also have a heidelberg scar from fencing when was young. Scars are part of what make us what we are.. and reminders not to pull stupid stunts..

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jitombe

you did realize this thread is in the "philosophy/metaphysics" forum, yeah?

which sounds to me like a fancy and polite way of saying: please post "personal irrelevant observation" HERE.

so... if the 30 seconds were wasted, were they ever really yours?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join