It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A meditation from Wandering Scribe

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Seeing numbers everywhere in life, is actually a normal part of life. The mind of a human loves to conceptualize and form patterns as it seeks understanding of it's surroundings. Because we are a creature with an advanced brain chemistry we get bored if we do not seek meaning, entertainment, and enlightenment from that which surrounds us.

So, we form patterns.

By considering a certain number, in this case 1111, we will begin to focus heavily on it. Then, one day you wake up at 11:11 and consider it something spiritual. In reality, all you have done is pre-determine this as the time you will awaken because of heavily focusing on it.

Then, you consider the number 44. Suddenly you realize in your morning ritual of waking up and getting ready for the day you take 44 steps. Why? Because you already associate the number 44 with some kind of importance in your life.

Not that numbers cannot have a relevance in our life and world. The mathematical Universe, the Golden Ratio and the Fibonacci Sequence, along with Pi all lay claim to the importance of numbers in our Universe. Take, for instance, the Qabalistic approach to numerology:

00 — this is the number of perfection
01 — this is the number of unification
02 — this is the number of expansion
03 — this is the number of constriction
04 — this is the number of order
05 — this is the number of abundant energy
06 — this is the number of equalization
07 — this is the number of combination
08 — this is the number of separation
09 — this is the number of conceptualization
10 — this is a combination of 1, and 0, causing perfect union

So, take 11:11 for instance... 1 + 1 means a strong blend of unification. The second 11 is also 1 + 1, meaning another unifying force. So 11:11 is a number of intense unification, partnerships, and relations with others. 11 also starts a new cycle of 10, meaning it is the second cycle's 1. Which tells me you are in a period where new introductions, jobs, and people will help unify much of your life's mysteries.

Let's look at 44. This is a combination of 4 + 4. 4 is the number of order, control, and security. So a surplus of these indicates a controlled, comfort-seeking nature in you. By seeing 44 you are also indicating the 4th number of a 4th cycle of 10. This gives your sense or order, comfort, and security a doubly powerful nature as a 4th cycle, with a 4 + 4 is a whole lot of order.

So, speaking in numerology, the 11:11 and 44 suggest that you should be seeking new relations and associates, while helping to build a strong foundation in this life. Once you've found a new sense of order (be it a family arrangement, or a new job, or a new school) and made some new acquaintances (a new friend, co-worker, boy/girlfriend).

I suspect 11:11 and 44 will be replaced by new sets of numbers. These new numbers suggesting archetypes, shadows (Jungian), and symbolism you should seek to attain next.

Now, I am not a numerologist, so do take my advice here with a grain of salt and compare it around with authorities on the subject. I would hate to mislead you, so my analysis might be incorrect in certain spots, but it is what I know of the subject.

~ Scribe

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

I'm not in the mood to argue over what constitutes and does not constitute a meditative practice, as New Age spiritualism has attempted to redefine the practice as something other than what it really is.

However, there is one point on which I must disagree: what Zen Mind is. You say that contemplations of the body, and the attempted disconnections from such discrimination is not Zen Mind. In reality, that is exactly what Zen, and Zen Mind is. Zen is about stilling the mind, separating body from mind, and achieving the mind-over-matter state.

Zen, after all, is a Buddhist sect, built upon Buddhist ideals and philosophy. Buddhism is a way of living by disconnecting body and mind, then disconnecting self from mind, so True Mind can be attained.

Anything which induces feeling, thought, perception, taste, or smell is not a practice of meditation, but is instead a method of trance work. Psychic abilities, gateways to higher consciousness, re-energizing yourself, and all of the other things you discussed are concepts of the physical world, making them the opposite end of the spectrum from meditation.

To each their own though, if your trances and New-Age spirituality works and makes you feel good and special, more power to you. Those of us seeking higher states of being by disconnecting from all faulty conceptions of psychic power and gateways to Higher Selves will be waiting for you on the other side when all Atman's reach Nirvana.

Such is the way of the Bodhisattva-Mahasattva.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

Wow that is very interesting and what I have read. I have always had a thing for numbers and can be quite supersticious with them. When I flew last month my flights and seat numbers had to have 3 in them, weird I know but 3 is a lucky number for me.

As for seeing 1111 on the clock all the time, I have just thought it was an internal clock thing. I have never used an alarm clock to wake up. If I need to be up at a certain time I tell myself before bed to be up and I am up at that exact time without an alarm clock. It freaked my ex out a little lol. He insisted on setting his alarm all the time but I always turned it off and woke him up.

I do find it weird that I am also noticing 11:11 for another time zone, where my bf is. I have my phone set to the time in Italy and I just happen to pick up my phone at those times when here it's 6hrs earlier and not 11:11. Again I don't really think anything of it, I just laugh and say, "there it is again," I have also had some insane synchronicity lately involving my bf and these numbers..it's kind of creepy but I take it as I am on the right path.

I take most of what I read in regards to this with a grain of salt but I do believe there is something to it but what I do not know. I have always been into numbers, since I was little and my own personal numerology is dead on accurate with my life..I am not saying it's true for all but for me it's creeped me out some.

Thanks for the info!

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I just wanted to add this, I put the full quotes and discussed it a bit on my first thread I linked just now, and will include a short simple connection to Higher Self, in a bit, after grabbing coffee for the crew, on that thread as well.

But I just did some searches, because I have only good benefits, and realized, I'm not wearing sunscreen, I 'd read years ago that it blocked the beneficial rays, and let in the bad ones, plus its toxic. Why put chemicals on your skin? I don't like sitting in the sun for long, I don't sunburn or suntan even, just get a natural glow as I move in and out according my comfort zone. I usually pay attention to my body and its needs.

But corrective lenses should be removed. When its really bright I close my eyes and the colors burst any way and I still feel energized, the sun brightens up for me, and can get very very big. Even last winter, it warmed me up so much I had to put a tshirt on outside, and if I'm depressed, and the sun is behind thick clouds, I would suddenly have encouragement and a feeling of contact with guides/family/friends, and messages in my mind to be good myself, to always do things wiht love, the simplest is best, and just positive thoughts. I look up and for the only time that day, the sun was huge bright glow, nearly cutting through the clouds, illuminating everything.

Now, I don't eat a lot of grains. Foods that emit toxins and possibly those with chemicals, non-organic, are emitted through the skin, so its a good idea to reduce chemical intake and eat as much fruit as possible.

Here are two links that I found, that discuss eyesight improving, pineal glands enlarging, and benefits, I have increased energy, (chronic fatigue syndrome here), increased health (was sick nonstop Nov-April every year for a decade, not so last year, barely got sick and not for long), clarity of thought, joy. I've also had my pineal gland, my third eye area, vibrate for a long time during and after this.

I get called out, subtely when its just perfectly filtered through the cottonwood leaves outback. Different times seem to give different colors for the chakras, seems more reds and oranges morning often and more higher ones in the late afternoon. The colors can lead to a spontaneous chakra meditation.

She brings in the the wish factor. Akin to manifesting. Prayer, meditation. I call it pouring my heart sometimes and then having ideas come.

The point is, just live more spontaneously, less rigid, less in the idea, you have to do something one way, or the guru's know best, and find the way that just frees your heart and mind, and gets you into zen, and an altered state or raised frequency.

And this is said out of much love and light, and wishing the greatest happiness and joy for you each and every day, and that all lessons or growth factor moments in your life are positive.

I am very interested in some of the eastern techniques, and the chakra meditations, tai chi, and quiqong, energy healing, utilizing energy. I can feel aurals, energy fields around people, and have done some minor healing htat way, but would love to take reiki and also, spoken affirmations, utilize the throat chakra and harmonics, and they are very useful for manifesting. Positive ones. A toothache could hurt me for hours, and have been able to take them away within minutes, this way.

www.lockergnome.com...

sunlightenment.com...

The point is about mediation and meditative states is it flows, in the moment freeform, spontaneously, intuitively, joyfully.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwytch
Hey there Scribe, this is a great thread for anyone wanting to get to grips with meditation ... just be sure to keep an eye on things ... you know there will be people who try to turn this thread into something that has no sense of reality.

Let's face it there are enough of those kind of threads floating around ... this one needs to be kept 'clean'.

People wanting to learn the reality of meditations and the door opening this involves are going to love this.

Woody

Agreed. Nicely planned out

To be honest this would even be useful to experienced meditators not just beginners.

As for numbers, I've always had a liking for the number 6, the smallest perfect number in mathematics. The number 12 seems to pop up a lot in relation to a friend of mine
One day I'll work out what it means

- Phoenix

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by phoenix_zephyr

Welcome aboard Phoenix, thanks for the compliments. And I did my best to be as in-depth without getting too religious or dogmatic with it as I could. I'm hoping it is helpful for others.

~ Scribe

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   

I can see you have things in hand (never really doubted you for a second).

I think a thread like this is long overdue ... I know from experience that the majority of people confuse 'real' meditation with things like visualization / imagination / and pure fantasy ... so hopefully this will help people to determine the difference and enjoy the benefits.

As for discussing PLR techniques ... it would be my pleasure ... I 'know' that you are the kind of person who would understand the concept of my technique and the simplicity of it. People just love to complicate things don't they ?

Anyhoo, loving the thread and I shall enjoy following it ... I'm pretty sure there will be plenty for me to learn myself.

Woody

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

Mornin' Woody,

Yeah, I'm pretty determined to not let visualization, sun-gazing, dolphins and whales, natural vibrations, or anything else that isn't pure meditation infiltrate this thread.

There are millions of threads out there about self-induced trances, and training yourself to have specific visualizations and dreams. As I am sure there are meditation threads too.

I just did my best to remove the dogma, the religion, and the mystical over-hype of meditation to present it as what it really is: sensing the body's movements, sensing the mind's inclinations, stilling the body's movements, stilling the mind's inclinations, removing discrimination from your perception, and disconnecting internally from the physical vessel.

You don't need to believe in a deity, or an extra-terrestrial, or a religion, of a spiritual pathway to receive the benefits of meditation. It is healthy for you, and by doing so it helps you overcome the natural discriminating nature of your mind.

In short, you can beat the ever-loving crap out of an uncontrolled ego just by learning the patience, disconnection, and personal insight that meditation teaches.

And you're always welcome to put in your own 2¢ as well. I'm by no means the Grand High Meditation Master. I just practice Yogic meditation, Chakra meditation, breathing meditation, and some empathic meditations. There are hundreds of way to meditate.

I do get tired though, of seeing people confuse other spiritual concepts for meditation because they haven't bothered to do their homework.

Practices have names, names are words, words have definitions, definitions convey meanings, and meanings imply the nature of the practice.

People need to learn to read, and study, and research what they do before they claim it is this, or that.

Perhaps at some later point we can include some P.L.R in this thread too. Assuming you're comfortable with it. If not, there's always U2U which can lead to quicker communication methods too depending on what kinds of programs you use.

We shall see.

~ Scribe

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Scribe, one of the strings to my bow is 'Meditation Tutor' (I personally tend to focus on the chakra and breathing kind ... they seem to be the easiest for the novice to grasp) ... but that said, I have read enough of your posts to know that I can also learn a lot from you myself because your approach / techiques are different to mine.

I seem to recall mentioning in another thread that however much we already know ... there will always be something new to learn. And I truly believe that.

I'd love to make some contributions at some point ... but I think it would be a good idea to let the thread establish itself with your direction for a few pages first.

Thanks for the invite.

Woody

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwytch

I myself am trying to figure out what the best avenue to proceed with would be for this thread. Naturally, I'm always open to questions as a method of advancement, and I could always go back and update each stage with more in-depth information.

There's also always the possibility of other avenues too, like the numerology which has already surfaced once. Perhaps I could open the thread subject matter a little more and discuss more than just my meditation outline. I know about a lot more than just meditation, so that might be a healthy avenue for the thread.

I'll wait a bit and see though, maybe someone will have some interesting questions which I can use to digress into non-meditation topics.

Now for the waiting.

* goes to meditate *

~ Scribe

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Perhaps I can assist
I recently had someone do a tarot reading for me, which turned out to be fairly accurate and they suggested I take a look at Tao Te Ching. The funny thing is, I've been meaning to get The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet for a while now, I just haven't had the time.

Where would you suggest is a good place to start with this?

- Phoenix

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Tarot readings are always fun, I love just sitting back and interpreting the Tarot when I have no other avenues to pursue at the moment.

As for the Tao Teh King/Ching, luckily it is an abundant little book. Almost any bookstore with a section on "Eastern Thought" or "Eastern Philosophy" will have a copy/several copies of it.

My own copy is from the Æternal Library, and it cost me a pretty penny to get, ha ha. But there are simple versions available almost anywhere.

As for interpreting it... that is a bit harder. You'll have to sit down and first find which Chapters speak to you. Then you'll have to try and analyze what is being said — is it about human nature, proper conduct, how to govern, or natural nature — and then try and find practical applications for the lessons in your real-time life.

So, my advice would be to pick up a copy and read through it — one night for the Book of Tao, and one night for the Book of Teh — then bring your insights here and we'll see what our collective consciousness can put together.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Like Scribe said, it is extremely easy to get hold of from most book stores. With you being in england, you should know of Waterstones, which is where i picked up my copy of it, costing i think roughly £9.99; it wasn't hard to find either, just in the "religions" section. I also got an E-book version which i plonked onto my iphone so i can read it whenever, which is rather handy.

One thing that does strike me as abit of a problem with any book of the Tao Te Ching is the translations. Several problems arise when translating the book, one of them being the difference in the forms of the two written languages, the two completely different cultures (western and eastern) and finally the time frame between now and then.

I am still in the process of finding out who's translation is the most accurate of all the translations; if anyone here has any idea on that, it would be most appreciated.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
May I just ask a question about this. I started practicing meditation while learning Shaolin qigong. There was no method with this so I've just done free form meditation all along. My question is this: Why have I from the beginning and still to this day got spontaneous mudras going on all the while? I feel my hands start moving of their own volition during most meditations. Other things happen as well, but if you could kindly explain how these mudras come to me, I would be most grateful. I don't know what they mean nor why I have them in my meditation sessions. At what point in the practice of meditation should these be utilized? Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

Welcome CosmicEgg,

Well, involuntary nerve-actions might be something worth looking into before considering these spontaneous mudras as a spiritual event. Do you have any nerve damage, or any history of nervous system disorders in your family?

If not...

Then the first step would be to discern what mudra you are forming while meditating. The easiest way to do this would be to take a picture of yourself doing the mudra. You don't have to be meditating to do this, just hold your hand appropriately and use the auto-timer function on a camera (if you have it), or have a friend/family member take a picture of it.

Then, we can start to discern the meaning of the mudra and compare it with your free-meditations and Qigong practices. I myself do not practice any Qigong, so your own input to help us along the way will be essential.

That would be the best place for you to start I think. Feel free to bring pictures of the mudras back to this thread if you like, there's a lot of bright people on here who could probably help you figure it out.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by OrionTri

While I agree that the language barrier via translation difficulties can cause a headache, the essence of the Tao Teh King is not lost just because a word is not translated as closely as it could be.

Take, for instance, my favorite chapter:

LXXXI

Faithful words may not be beautiful,
Beautiful words may not be faithful.

Those who love do not quarrel,
Those who quarrel do not love.

Those who know are not learned,
Those who are learned do not know.

The riches of the self-controlled man are in the Inner Life.
When he spends for others, he has more for himself.
When he gives to others, he has much more for himself.

Heavenly Tao blesses all and hurts no one.

The way of the self-controlled man is to act and not to fight.

Now, I've seen this chapter translated many different ways, where the words change. But the essence is always there, always peeking through about discrimination, the Inner Life, true understanding and knowledge, and the importance of honesty and loyalty to the self and the self's actions.

At least, those are some of the lessons I pull from this chapter, to each their own.

So a different translation isn't necessarily a bad thing. As long as the essence of the chapter remains intact.

An E-book version is a good idea though, I didn't think about that. Very versatile and mobile. I must look into getting one for myself too.

Thanks for joining the thread as well, OrionTri. I was hoping you'd show up. Wouldn't be complete without you.

~ Scribe

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Actually, that's pretty true. The truth behind the chapter is still there, even though the physical face may change; wow, there's some pretty philosophical stuff in that, and if i wasn't as tired i could probably expand on it. I'll save it for a rainy day - oh wait, i live in England, that's everyday.

An E-book version is a good idea though, I didn't think about that. Very versatile and mobile. I must look into getting one for myself too.

No problem, glad i could help.

Ha, i was following the thread and saw a topic that i could put atleast a little bit of info into so i thought i should comment; after writing a reply i chuckled to myself with it looking like "the gang" was back together.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wandering Scribe

Tarot readings are always fun, I love just sitting back and interpreting the Tarot when I have no other avenues to pursue at the moment.

Indeed they are fun, the person asked for some volunteers as they were a bit rusty, I was actually quite impressed given the question I asked.

As for the Tao Teh King/Ching, luckily it is an abundant little book. Almost any bookstore with a section on "Eastern Thought" or "Eastern Philosophy" will have a copy/several copies of it.

I shall have a looksie for that next week when I get a chance

As for interpreting it... that is a bit harder.

That's half the fun thought isn't it

So, my advice would be to pick up a copy and read through it — one night for the Book of Tao, and one night for the Book of Teh — then bring your insights here and we'll see what our collective consciousness can put together.

That sounds like an excellent plan

Originally posted by OrionTri

Like Scribe said, it is extremely easy to get hold of from most book stores. With you being in england, you should know of Waterstones, which is where i picked up my copy of it, costing i think roughly £9.99; it wasn't hard to find either, just in the "religions" section. I also got an E-book version which i plonked onto my iphone so i can read it whenever, which is rather handy.

Indeedy, Waterstones was were I planned to have a looksie whilst also gathering presents for my other halfs birthday

E-book also sounds like a plan, I'll see what I can snaffle up online.

I actually attempted to meditate the other night. Now normally, on the bus ride home after work (it's about a 30 minute journey) I tend to doze off/daydream, but I thought hey why not try. There was no risk of missing my stop either as my other half was with me.

So, I close my eyes and still my movement and notice that the noise of the engine at least partly counteracted my tinitus. Possibly acted as a distraction, I don't know, perhaps music at home would have a similar effect now, it never used to but it's worth a try
Anyway, this is fine, I then focus on my breathing, partly as another means to distract from the tinitus. I saw a fleeting image of a male face, sort of like how you see the metal pin art impressions of faces. Then suddenly it was as if all itches and tickles had amassed at once
This broke my concentration and I had to stratch them
Well, it's a start at least, I managed about 10 minutes I think

- Phoenix

Edit to add: I normally feel sleepy when getting off the bus but I felt quite refreshed

[edit on 14-8-2010 by phoenix_zephyr]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Found a site related to Tao Te Ching and briefly having a look through the chapters while at work. I think this was the one she was pointing me to, not sure though:

The best of man is like water,
Which benefits all things, and does not contend with them,
Which flows in places that others disdain,
Where it is in harmony with the Way.

So the sage:
Lives within nature,
Thinks within the deep,
Gives within impartiality,
Speaks within trust,
Governs within order,
Crafts within ability,
Acts within opportunity.

He does not contend, and none contend against him.

Or possibly this one?

Water overcomes the stone;
Without substance it requires no opening;
This is the benefit of taking no action.
Yet benefit without action,
And experience without abstraction,
Are practiced by very few.

- Phoenix

[edit on 14-8-2010 by phoenix_zephyr]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I'm really not sure how to answer this. The only thing that springs to mind is "LOL".

No. No nerve damage. But do you really think things are as mundane as you present them here? Seriously? I'm concurrently amused and bemused. Flabbergasted? Maybe.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join