It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for advice and help on Spirituality

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Hello AtS members

Before i waste some peoples time i will say this is just a call out for opinions and advice, nothing to share or fascinating to tell, so from here press your "back" button if you have no advice on the subject. Thank you for checking this thread out though

I am an 18 year old, recent, highschool graduate. I have read a lot of things on AtS that have changed my opinions and views on many, many aspects in life as you all know this site is one of a kind (:

Something i have always wanted to get into is the field of spirituality. I have always wanted to better my life, with my spirit/soul. So this thread is to ask those who practise and take spirituality serious for advice on how i should start out "waking myself up" sort of speak

Some things i would like to know is/are; different meditation practises and a preference of which to start with, ways to relax my body heart and mind, things to think about or look for etc ..

I really want to take this/these practises and lifestyle seriously, as I myself would love to become what many call 'enlightend'. I want to connect with the spirit world around me. I have a really positive/loving attitude, and at 18 I am in Love with a young beautiful girl. I know many of you are thinking puppy love or some sort but we've been together for 10 months now and I haven't met anyone more amazing as the one I am in love with. The point I'm making by this is my heart is filled with love and I am not one of those social magnet teens, I have a lot of care for nature and the beings that are on planet Earth. I adore plants and animals, and I'm a very caring person.

I feel I have many oppurtunities in society to be successful, but society i do not agree with... My opinions and feelings about society prevent me from working at the moment, the only thing I would like to work on is being in touch with my inner self but I want advice where to start and good healthy practises i should begin with.

So for those who are enlightend or are really in touch with their inner spirit, please leave me with a bit of advice as i would like to better myself before my life journey begins.

Best wishes to all on their life journey and thanks for taking the time (:

Kelliott

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
First piece of advice is question everything and don't accept anything unless it first makes sense and then is confirmed within you. If you are not familiar with this it is a sort of inner knowing when something rings true. As you put your focus on spiritual things eventually you will begin to have more spiritual experiences. Be patient and also don't dismiss things out of hand either. If they don't make sense at first by all means don't accept them but then put them on the shelf for a while as some further light and knowledge might clarify them so they makes sense. Be open to all things but not so open your brains fall out.

The first test of truth is reason and logic then the inner voice or confirmation. If it doesn't make logical sense chances are good it may be false. But as I said don't be to quick to dismiss things either give it some time.

As for Meditation try several different types and use what feels best to you don't be afraid to experiment. Or just sit in silence and sound the Aum three times then concentrate on your breath and try to visualize a point of light coming down and engulfing you.

Here is a good place to start some reading: freeread.com...

Good luck and happy seeking!

[edit on 10-7-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Hey! You sound a lot like me.

I'm 17, dropped out of high school because that method and mind set of teaching is against my morality. (I take university courses online. Although i don't get a piece of paper when I am done a course
)

I am very spiritual, and its a very fun path. Being young, it is easier.

I can give lots of advice, but to sum it all up, try to stay away from beliefs, live in the now, meditate regularly(The way you see fit, not what others tell you)

Since you are not working, try this!

Go around you neighborhood and put up posters that say "Will cut your lawn for free! call *** *** **** and leave your address and the best time for me to come!"

This will get people a little confused, inspired, and it will start your path.

PS(doesn't have to be landscaping. Offer your services for free, what ever you see fit)

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Thank you for the insight hawkiye (:

I will check out the website and read as much as possible.

Very much appreiciated

Kelliott

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Follow your intuition. Take whatever goodness and light that you can find and incorporate it into your life. Meditation is something different for everyone. For some they may choose a guided meditation to listen to or to watch with beautiful imagery and nature scenes. For some, it may be sitting in silence and simply quieting the mind. For some, just being out in nature is a meditation in itself.

Live your life with love and compassion and appreciation for everyone and everything in your life. It sounds to me as though your intuition is already guiding you. There is no right or wrong way and it is a very personal thing. In time, you will discover what works best for you. Love and light to you.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

Thank you for your advice Night Star
very much appreciated as well.
Cute kitty btw ;P hehe. I love cats

anyways thanks a bunch and have a good night

Kelliott

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Kelliott

Well you have two paths to chose from. I am going to get a lot of flack from this but I have to be honest with you. Path one is to become enlightened by Jesus Christ and by studying the Bible. The other path is to choose anything but Jesus Christ. It is black and white, period. No matter how gray someone trys to tell you that it is; the reality is that it is black and white. You can chose many methods of false "enlightenment" but like someone said a post or two above me question everything and take nothing for fact without first confirming it. The only true knowlegde that you will find that will lead to peace and blessings is in the Bible (it must be the original King James version). You may run into some fantastic false teachings such as sorcery, satanism, white majic, the use of the Jin, chanting, spells that offer short term affects but be very carefull what you ask for. For example (and these are just random examples) asking for more energy may end you up with a pacemaker, or weightloss may end you up with some dreadful disease, or the ever popular money, have a dear loved one you wouldnt mind giving up for an insurance settlement, or maybe the loss of a leg in an accident that yeilds a personal injury settlement. Just ask God for wisdom and you will be amazed at what will open up to you. Now let the brow bashing begin.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by Melissa101]

[edit on 10-7-2010 by Melissa101]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Do you seek Enlightenment for yourself?Or do you seek Enlightenment for others?The answer to these questions starts your Journey.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
You're going to get a lot of varying advice here, so I just want to keep my reply as simple as possible.

First, don't waste time end effort trying to quieten the mind, instead, focus your Intent on what you want to do.

Second, when you practice do it as if naked.. meaning don't have any Beliefs, Concepts or preferences about anything.. as they will Limit what you can Experience.

Third, if what you arew looking at is convoluted, complex and requires a lot of study or blind faith without direct experience then drop it for something more effective.

Fourth, all spiritual stuff is very simple really.. hence why we simplify and let go of all Beliefs about everything.

Fifth, I've been teaching the methods I used on myself for over 12 years now and they work for the majority of people who practice daily with them.

Sixth, find the link to my website in signature.

Seventh, practice every day, set a time and do it every day at that time.

Eigth, FEEL is important. All things you meet, all scenarios you find yourself in have a certain feel to them.. like a signature of sorts.. and thisd FEEL has all the necessary information you need within it. So as you go you will learn how things feel to You.

Lastly.. two things here.. Have Fun with it, and, take your own experiences seriously as offering directions for you to experiment with.

Be well.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
A'ight Kelliot,

I just posted this in another thread where some people had been throwing around discussions on how they do all this meditation and get all these great results.

I noticed however, that no one ever posted WHAT they did to meditate. So I decided to be a pioneer and do so. Here are the two "single posts" where I explain one of MY personal meditation routines. Feel free to try it out if you're so inclined.

Part 1

Part 2

If you're uncertain of anything in there, let me know and I can further detail it for you when I have the time to sit down and type up mass quantities of information.

Good luck on your journey!

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Melissa101

Melissa101,

I don't have too big of a problem with fundamentalist Christian belief, or even fyndamentalist Christian spirituality. So this isn't intended to be an "attack" on you, as much as it is curiosity. So, here goes...

You tell Kelliot to:

question everything and take nothing for fact without first confirming it...

But then, immediately following this you say:

The only true knowlegde that you will find that will lead to peace and blessings is in the Bible (it must be the original King James version)

Assuming that I am someone uninformed on spirituality, like Kelliot, what kind of confirmation could you provide on the infallibility of the KJV and it's spiritual implications?

A lot of fundamentalist Christians have told me that the Bible is the infallible word on the truth of spirituality, and all that. None have ever shown me how this is so.

Could you be so kind?

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Hey bro I probably am not as experienced as everybody, but I feel the main thing is to do things that interest you. Part of being enlightened is knowing that we are spiritual beings in a human shell. The body is a means of transportation is this life. I hardly meditate ( though I wish I can ), take nature walks or do any of the things most of these people are saying. What I do is keep a positive attitude and try to plant seeds so that others can follow. I led myself into this spiritual enlightenment without even realizing it.

I used my 6th sense without even knowing about there being a sixth sense. What really sparked my interested into all of this was and still is to this day, Astral Projection and Lucid dreaming. Just researching the following has led me to sites that talk of intuition, made me have weird ass days where things happen so IRONICALLY that it just couldn't be coincidence. Then the numbers 11:11, 1:11, 2:22, 3:33 start popping up.

This may seem like me typing a bunch of random stuff but the point i'm trying to make is, I never asked people to tell me what to do or where to start. I found a path through my own means and haven't looked back.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

WS (for short) thank you for the advice, it shall come in handy on my journey throughout life

much appresiciated! :hai:

Kelliott

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Kelliott

Here's an awesome little edit for you:

visit my THREAD on meditation. Which I just created! With more information then my two little posts! It's right here!

And you're welcome. Always willing to help out a fellow seeker.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   

one night I went to pick up a small green Gideons NT that a woman had left on the bar a few days earlier and as soon as I began to open the cover I heard an AUDIBLE voice as if sitting to my left that said-my name, I am Jesus I died for your sins believe in Me and you will never perish- AWESTRUCK (i was not raised churched or knew any scripts) I stood to my feet turned to the voice and said yes Lord, and years later came across these-

I tell you the truth, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live.-John5.25

Christ has indeed been raised from the dead-1Cor15.20

For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died.2Cor5.14

But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said:
"Wake up, O sleeper,
rise from the dead,
and Christ will shine on you."-Eph5.13

Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.-1Tim1.15

For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.-John6.40

I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand.-John10.28

[edit on by No King but Jesus]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by No King but Jesus

So, your proof of the infallibility of the Bible is that you heard a disembodied voice speak your name, and tell you it was Jesus, and several scriptures in the Bible itself say it is the spiritual truth.

I can accept this as a legitimate personal conversion. So long as you would accept a Buddhist meditating under a Bodhi tree who reaches Nirvana to be proof that Buddhist spirituality is a legitimate spiritual path as well.

I guess I am looking for something non-canonical, and not from scripture, to support the spirituality of the Bible. Surely the world (if it were created by God) must be full of examples of Christian spirituality, like it is of many other diverse spiritual paths.

Anyway,

Thank you for responding to my message for Melissa. I don't want to unnecessarily clutter Kelliot's thread so I'll cut my response short here.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   

understand the implications, before I read any scripture I heard that AUDIBLE voice as if sitting on my left, then I read where it was written, but even before that I had seen an angel?(cherub-another poster said) with wings bright white everywhere like lightning even the eyes @13ish-

For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."-Rev19.10

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by No King but Jesus

I understand this, I am not discounting your personal experience. I am asking if you would consider similar personal experiences from other spiritual faiths to be as valid as your own.

There are people who feel the energy of the Buddha.
Who have encounters with pagan deities and beings.
Who touch their spirit guides.
Who find their spirit animal while on Quests.

All of which are similar to your experience.

Do you believe these people know spiritual truths too? If the answer is no, and you would discount their experiences, why do you not discount your own?

My apologies, Kelliot, for this interruption of your thread. Maybe it will serve some purpose though, about the tolerance, or intolerance, of spiritual paths. I can only hope.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   

seems to be something beneficial everywhere I suppose some more than others but here is one raised from the dead who did no violence

So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being" ; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit.-1Cor15.45

For God so loved the world He gave His one and only Son-John3.16

Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing in the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. He had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth.-Rev5.6

how many continents or seas?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Wow, you sound like you have a great heart. I was in love like that when I was 18 too
Always remember that this love is something you will never lose, within yourself. I am the same way with "work" and have the same attitude towards "education" it is difficult, but it just shows that we are being honest about the absurd situations in society and the world before us (not to be confused with the world around us).

There are so many places to start. One thing I like to do is always have a new book about spirituality, wisdom, or even religion. I read them slowly and as I feel like it, never rushing it. As much as I want to tell you a list of books, I'd sort of rather you pick your own out. And also I don't want to suggest any as noone else has - I'd rather you get that sort of advice from many perspectives as well. But if you want advice on books, just ask directly and we'll open the floodgates, lol.

Back to spiritual advice: Just be honest with yourself, "to thine own self be true." It's good to have a spiritual practice, but never make yourself do anything you don't want to deep down. Notice that *most of this advice on the thread is not trying to force a path down your throat, but helping you walk down your own. That's very good to see. And it IS what's most important for you right now.

Now more to the path, merely suggestions: You've already found meditation, I would also suggest dreaming, lucid dreaming, and perhaps astral projection (who knows, you may have a knack for it). These things allow you to experience more in your sleep, and be aware of it. They don't really effect your path, dreaming and dream recall is just a win-win scenario for your body, heart, and mind. As some Christians will try to be close minded about Astral Projection - there are actually quite a few examples on ATS of Christians who have Astral Projected! Some who saw Jesus in their experience as well. I hate to give Christianity so much advertising - the wisdom of Taoism, Buddhism, and Hinduism will give you more perspectives and good attitude towards your life and practice as well. Understanding any culture will expand your awareness.

Last but not least I would suggest ATS/BTS, there are so many perspectives and open minds on here. This place is proof in itself that there are indeed 30000 different versions of Christianity. A lot of ATS'ers do their own thing and offer their own perspectives. Any time you have a question, POST IT! With your good attitude and heart people are going to be glad to help, and in no time at all you'll be the one giving the advice as you find your own path. Cheers!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join