It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why ET is smarter than y-o-u

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The reason ET is smarter than you is because he is older than you. His civilization had ample time to master genetic engineering, and they have likely increased their own IQ! Why would an alien increase his IQ?

Let us assume for the sake of argument that the aliens were once like us here on earth, 2010. A civilization riddled with problems from poverty, to disease, to climate change, to energy souces and uses, to political ideologies that keep us distrustful and hostile towards eachother. We could go could on and on with this list, but that is not the point. The point is, how did the aliens deal with these inevitable problems? One solution might be to augment the gene's which are linked to raw intelligence. For the debater, it is easily argued that a smarter society is a better society.

What limits us as humans? Unfortunately for us, the human birth canal has dimensional limits on how big a baby's head can be. That limits the number of neurons that can be packed into that much space. There are only two ways around this problem.

1) Get a bigger head. Perhaps that is what those spindly greys did!

2) Incease the number of neurons in the head.

As we all know, large headed folks aren't always the sharpest tools in the shed. So there is another factor. When it comes to thinking, what matters is the number of neural interconnections. Einstein may not have had the largest head, but his brain had good/efficient neural connectvity. (*Additional studies on Einstein's brain releaved the ratio of glial cells in Einstein's brain compared with that in the preserved brains of 11 men. This could be tweaked with genetic manipulation as well.)

If aliens could figure out a way to reduce the size of their neurons, they could effectively cram more brain into their heads. Whether it is smaller thinking equipment or larger heads, either of these methods could send an alien's IQ off the charts.

With enough brain power, ET might eventually figure out how to solve all his woes, rig the stock market so it always (and I mean always) goes up, and return his gaze onto the final frontier..

-SJ76

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76
The reason ET is smarter than you is because he is older than you. His civilization had ample time to master genetic engineering, and they have likely increased their own IQ! Why would an alien increase his IQ?

Thats quite an asumption right at the start.

You know for a fact that ET exists?

Please explain.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
"ET" stands for extraterrestrial. ET is not one being (except for in the movie), but an ET is one of many intelligent life forms from outside planet Earth. Just wanted to make sure you knew that...

S-&-F

[edit on 10-7-2010 by nicolee123nd]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Slippery Jim

I think he/she believes that the possibility of the existence of ETs is out of the question, as it is for me.

Ever hear of the Drake Equation? Well it's a mathematical equation that concludes that out of the 100 billion stars and 16 billion planets in the Milky Way, about 18 million must support life.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by nicolee123nd
"ET" stands for extraterrestrial. ET is not one being (except for in the movie), but an ET is one of many intelligent life forms from outside planet Earth. Just wanted to make sure you knew that...

Yes I did know that. Thank you for being so patronising.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by nicolee123nd

I think he/she believes that the possibility of the existence of ETs is out of the question, as it is for me.

Ever hear of the Drake Equation? Well it's a mathematical equation that concludes that out of the 100 billion stars and 16 billion planets in the Milky Way, about 18 million must support life.

Can you please get your quotes in some form of orderly fashion?

You reply to me without a quote then reply to me with a quote but then reference the post at the top of the thread!

For your information: I believe in UFOs. I don't know what they are but for some credulous twerp to come on here and start spouting off about how he knows exactly what they are just makes my blood boil!

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Thats quite an asumption right at the start.

You know for a fact that ET exists?

Please explain.

Disclaimer: I, SJ76 have no 100% truthed knowledge of extraterrestrials. I do no claim to have had contact with alien entities. My post is based on decades of study and literature that has been written on the subject matter. After 60 years of ufology, we still seem puzzled by what the real truth actually is. My postulate credits the aliens with puzzling us and conjectures it may simply be a matter of raw intelligence.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

How do you know that most ETs are not just some low level life forms like protozoa or something?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Disclaimer: I, SJ76 have no 100% truthed knowledge of extraterrestrials. I do no claim to have had contact with alien entities. My post is based on decades of study and literature that has been written on the subject matter. After 60 years of ufology, we still seem puzzled by what the real truth actually is. My postulate credits the aliens with puzzling us and conjectures it may simply be a matter of raw intelligence.

Maybe you shouldn'y start a post with:

Stop spouting off your own baseless theories then backing down at the first sign of dissent.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ZuluChaka

If* I were an exobiologist, I would fully expect to find much more of that type of lifeform.

However, various reports suggest aliens might have already found us, something protozoa can't do. If that is indeed the case, I offer raw intelligence as to how they freed themselves from endless wars, poverty, corruption, environmental dangers, disease, etc. How they could locate us in this vast universe. And lastly, why they (and the devices they employ) seem so mysterious to our thick skulls.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Stop spouting off your own baseless theories then backing down at the first sign of dissent.

Relax slippery. I thought my inclusion of some jokes in my OP would lead you to the understanding that it is fun speculation.

However, it isn't a "baseless theory" and I never called it a theory. I called it a postulate! The reason that it isn't baseless is because it's based on how own particular modern predicament. We are left gazing at the stars in wonder yet unable to act as our soceity gets bogged down with more immediate societal problems.

A raw intelligence addresses societal problems that may be inherent to every developing sentient society. It solves Fermi's paradox and validates some UFO/entity encounters. And it explains why the public nor the government (from any nation) is unable to totally understand this other intelligence.

I'm not backing down Slippery. But you will have to debate the existence of ET with me in another thread.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I offer raw intelligence as to how they freed themselves from endless wars, poverty, corruption, environmental dangers, disease, etc. How they could locate us in this vast universe. And lastly, why they (and the devices they employ) seem so mysterious to our thick skulls.

Well there is no real proof that they have visited us beyond antecdotal evidence. Also, you are just theorising that they freed themselves of endless wars, poverty, corruption, environmental dangers, disease, etc.

Since we see from our own planet that the greatest expansion in technology is driven by war we could also theorize that they were even more war based than us.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by ZuluChaka]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ZuluChaka

Also, you are just theorising that they freed themselves of endless wars, poverty, corruption, environmental dangers, disease, etc.

Well unfortunately humans are the only example of sentient beings I have to go on. No one said aliens/ufos was an easy subject matter to brainstorm.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Well, there could be many ways to increase intelligence ...

1) More brain. In other words brain tissue interwoven throughout the torso and limbs of the body. Or even having muscle tissue that also acts like brain tissue.

2) More brains (plural). As in collective consciousness, where beings are part of a network of intelligence much larger than any one individual.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by area6

Thanks for the response area6,

-Your first option is identical to making a head bigger. I'm not sure there is an evolutionary advantage for having brains "woven" throughout your body tissues. Certainly evolution has not created us that way. Although mastering genetic manipulation could open the door for one to imagine some pretty strange creatures.

-Your option #2 reminds me of the borg. I think there is still much debate in the scientific community on what exactly consciousness is. That would have to be worked out first.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   

It's not exactly that hard to be smarter than me. If ET is bragging about that, well, I'd say he's got low standards.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Well said. I didn't know there were any modest people left on ATS.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Well said, OP. We have a tendency to force all hypothetical scenarios into the context of modern humans and our modern technology. The spaceships we imagine ourselves having often appear to be made of metal and resemble large boats or planes. The clothing, habits, language, and societal structure that we envision is usually pretty identical to current Western trends.

If we want to imagine the future in a realistic way, we have to allow ourselves to consider all possible transformations that our species might discover. The same must be true for a hypothetical species that is far more advanced than we are.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnus47

It really depends. I.E. using a plane as an example for what a "spaceship" might look like is a bad idea. There is no air in space, so there is no reason for the ship to have wings.

However, there is plenty of reason to believe our future is entangled with genetic engineering. If humanity is faced with an increasingly bleak future, radical technologies might be our only way out. Bioethics will go right out the door if the situation were to ever get desperate enough. Underneath our refined modern look is still a multi-cellular organismn that will do anything to survive.

Here is a video arguing that human beings are "unfit for the future," and one solution is enhanced intelligence and a reduced urge to violence: Julian Savulecu- genetically enhance humanity or face extinction presentation

new topics

top topics

join