It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California skate park now requires fingerprints to enter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
WOW, I thought California was broke, but I guess now this skate park is better protected than the border!!!!

a fingerprint scan will be required in order to enter the skate park. Skaters will have to register their fingerprints and have a photo taken in advance.

www.10news.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOMALY502

Hmm I wonder how long it will take the liberals to see that things are not getting better under the rulers they have put in office? They are all the same and they are progressives. They want to help us and makes things easier only problem is we have to give up our personal freedom for them to do that

[edit on 10-7-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Isn't there something unconstitutional going on here? Equal protection under the law and so forth.

[edit on 7/10/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
This is just their way of closing the park without closing the park. In a year so few people will go there it will be easy to close it for real. In a year that park will be a parking lot. I have seen this stunt used before and it works.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Just a small detail that was left out of the OP

The city also said the added security measure is an effort to stop an increase in vandalism, drug use and break ins that have plagued the park for the last five years.

And I fail to see how this is a "liberal" move, considering California has a Rpublican governor, I guess facts are unimportant when it comes to partisan politics.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
And I fail to see how this is a "liberal" move, considering California has a Rpublican governor, I guess facts are unimportant when it comes to partisan politics.
The Schwarz is a RINO- republican in name only.
Besides, that is irrelevant as the park is in Poway, California and is administered by the city, not the state.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

I thought the same thing initially. But it's not a STATE park, it's a SKATE park. A city park. The gov't of the city of San Diego started this fingerprinting business. And aren't they liberal democrats?

edit: Jerry Sanders, Mayor of SanDiego is Republican.

www.sandiego.gov...

en.wikipedia.org...(politician)

[edit on 7/10/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

You dont have to be a democrat or a repubican to be a Progressive. You just have to be a damn fool that is so dumb that you think you know everything and that you can protect people from themselves.

Its in California. Even Republicans there are nuts, so does it really matter who is mayor?

I wouldnt be suprised to see a California city force you to where one of those padded Sumo wrestler suits at the mere touching of your foot onto a skateboard.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by ZuluChaka]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

The "small detail" of crime that has been happening in the skate park for the past few years does not give the government the right to treat every person who enters that park as if they are a criminal, or potential criminal. That is not due process of law. Law enforcement has been tasked with solving crimes not treating people as criminals in a hopeless attempt to prevent crime.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Sorry but i can not help it but smile at you guys because you seem so behind the times.

Has anyone checked to see who owns the parks because you might be suprised to find they have been used as collateral for goverment loans.

slap me if i'm wrong but do look.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This is actually unconstitutional in my view.
What about the right to not incriminate oneself?
The requirement for fingerprints is way draconian....im sure the people have a right to go there without providing prints....
If this is actually legal...then any theater, night club or any public venue also has the right to take prints....
Wheres the ACLU when you need em?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Well technically I would say they have every legal right to say you must verify your fingerprints to get in. It is not like they are forcing you to, which would be unconstitutional. If you do not want to do it then quit using the skate park.

Even though it might be constitutional, it is still utterly assinine.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

I agree with you, but they do have a reason for what they are doing. What I find alarming is the parents who say that even this will not stop the crime there. They should have patrols or permanent security at night.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ZuluChaka

All one has to do is read the California State Constitution to know that it is absolutely, undeniably not Constitutional to force people to submit to a fingerprint check in order to enter a state park. The right to privacy is protected by State Constitution in California.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Yup, that was my bad not checking the city politicians.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross

I agree with you, but they do have a reason for what they are doing. What I find alarming is the parents who say that even this will not stop the crime there. They should have patrols or permanent security at night.

NAZI Germany had a reason for killing Jews. Having a reason to do something does not grant carte blanche to do what ever whimsy dictates. If a Constitution can not be obeyed by the government that exists due to that Constitution then how is it any one would expect the subsequent laws would be obeyed?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
This is just like ad agencies using skateboards/extreme sports to sell all their other detrimental crap.

The young kids that have no idea there's anything to worry about are going to grow up thinking about these systems like "Oh this is just like at the park, no big deal..."

On a side note, america has some of the best skateparks in the world, but for the most part they're all bland and rendered almost useless - dangerous even - by the slick anti-graffiti coating they spray all over the cement.

Look at parks around the world where people were allowed or encouraged to paint whatever they wanted. They're beautiful, and look like they have actual history. I still remember parks from canada that I only ever saw in magazines ten years ago, whereas the majority of parks here are all completely white or gray, and terribly depressing if not for the shapes/obstacles.

It's the war on young people.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Pretty darn sick to equate this with the Holocaust.

Fact is there is crime in that park, parents are worried. The authorities had to do something. They could and should have simply posted security guards though.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

The fact is that the right to privacy is an inalienable right. The fact is the State of California is bound by the rule of law. The fact is you can attempt to find all sorts of justification for illegal actions. The fact is that two wrongs do not make a right. And the fact is that long before NAZI Germany began killing Jews that state incrementally began dismantling laws that protected rights. It is pretty sick to keep justifying a police state regardless of the reasons.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
So a City is kind enough to spend Tax Payer money on a Park only used by a tiny portion of its residents. Then the users commit acts of vandalism and use it for a party place for Druggies which is like a slap in the face to the Tax Payers who are paying for it. Then these same people get upset because THEY caused them to have to take action to protect the innocent park users and the Community. That about it?

It would seem to me, the other option would be to close the park to everyone. Instead they only closed the park to criminals. Only a child would take exception to that and in fact only a child who wanted to commit acts of vandalism or wants to use the park for drugs. Everyone else would be fine with it.

Who cares about vandals or druggies? Losers all.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join