It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Debate Forum.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I was perusing the forum and noticed it didn't have an Intro, so here it is. Some are shocked to hear that ATS has a Debate Forum. We do and it's some of the finest debating you'll see anywhere. It hones your skills at debate, gets you in touch with members you may not normally come across and it's damn fun to match skills with the best.

In this forum you need "Fighter" status. That's easily obtained. The Mods most common in the forum are chissler, semperfortis,MemoryShock, etc.(sorry if I forgot someone). You want a debate? Find an opponent and a topic, serious please, no Coke vs. Pepsi, and contact one of those guys and they'll hook you up.

If you just like reading good debates here you go:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now that you know there's a forum, I look forward to some new faces. See you there.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Nice intro Intrepid.

As a 'Fighter', I can say that it is WELL WORTH taking part as a debater. The topics are very interesting, and you can learn a lot about yourself, other people, and unusual subjects by taking part.

Plus, you don't have to deal with retarded kiddy comments - these debates are high class discussion, for people that actually give a damn about sensible, intelligent discourse.

Get in there and make a challenge!!!

Parallex.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

The Debate Forum is also a great source for important information. Off_the_Street debated Memory Shock on Ancient Technology and raised some great points that are often overlooked.

Another was the 9/11 debate between Schrodinger's Dog and Souls. Some of those links about market manipulation in the days before and after the events made a serious impression on me. I've been puzzling about that ever since. Maybe it's not the 'smoking gun,' but you can damn well smell the cordite!

I haven't read all of the debates, but one thing really stands out on those I have read...sportsmanship and manners. Some of them represent the essence of ATS and participating members earn respect.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Nice thread.

I've never actually posted in the debate forum (yet) but it does look like it'll be alot of fun to do so and I'm sure alot can be learned from participating and it's so great that it’s moderated in such a way so that (as Parallex already mentioned) you don't have to deal with childish posts, random users or anything like that.

It's just like a breath of fresh air really to argue a topic in such a way that you don’t have to worry about any outside factors what so ever but instead just thoroughly concentrate on the topic.

I really look forward to having my first debate on here whether it be through a random challenge match or through a tournament if possible.

Although hopefully I won’t have to wait long.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Aaah ... debating.

Endless hours of research, reason manipulation, intellectual creativity, strategizing, gamesmanship ...

Pitted against grandiloquent masters such as Ian McLean, Maxmars, MemoryShock, and the rest of the Fighters ...

Often defending the indefensible, embracing the objectionable, championing one's opposite convictions ...

Stressing over deadlines, character counts, and Socrates ...

Fate and denouement in the heart of faceless judges and their wise caprice ...

All for no reward other than the process itself ...

Best part of ATS really.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

You have eloquently captured the spirit of the ATS Debate forum.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Heck, I'm a fighter! but i don't think i will fare too well in the debate forum. Maybe I should at least try.

I kinda thought almost every thread was a debate.. or so it sometimes seems.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I'm terrified on the debate forum.

Really I am.

The ammount of knowledge and ability shown by each of the fighters is far beyond anything I've seen on ATS in other sections or on the internet for that matter.

I'd love to do take part, but don't, out of fear of utter failure and rejection

Maybe one day, my Kung Fu will be strong enough. For now, I am but a young grasshoper.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Sounds like a lot of fun. I play chess, well, am versed in the Art of War (and Learning) and treat all my adversaries with respect. I tread lightly though, and as such have developed the ability to discern all the characteristics of a skill-fully interwoven piece of straw[man], causing hindrance to my pass through the already treacherous path of a warrior. But these only ever strengthen my resolve, as "my only aim is to move forward" - in the words of Afro-Samurai.

So pray-tell, how may i enter the debating forum to try my hand at verbal combat?

As Sun Tzu once said..

"form is emptiness, as emptiness is form"

So with that in mind ima go take a piss, then come back with an empty bladder. On Form, hoping for a reply.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
Aaah ... debating.

Endless hours of research, reason manipulation, intellectual creativity, strategizing, gamesmanship ...

Pitted against grandiloquent masters such as Ian McLean, Maxmars, MemoryShock, and the rest of the Fighters ...

Often defending the indefensible, embracing the objectionable, championing one's opposite convictions ...

Stressing over deadlines, character counts, and Socrates ...

Fate and denouement in the heart of faceless judges and their wise caprice ...

All for no reward other than the process itself ...

Best part of ATS really.

uh.....

Really? I would have thought it was the discussion forum for it where people got to throw fun jibes and barbs without risk of consequence but that's just me

new topics

top topics

join