It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is your favorite pro wrestling superstar?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
All time? Stone Cold, Flair, Magnum TA

Now: Randy Orton and I am digging Seamus though they have booked him horribly in bioth title reigns thus far.

posted on Sep, 17 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Trailer park eroticism taken to high art only appropriately appreciated when hammered on Quaaludes and Pabts blue ribbon beer.

edit on 17-9-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
As a little kid: Road Warriors, Honkytonk Man, Michael Hayes, Randy Savage
College years: Austin, DX (mostly their skits/mic work...), Foley, Anything & everything ECW (and I mean ECW, not that watered down crap WWECW 'rebirth')
More recent: Not alot. I generally DVR Raw & Impact and watch both shows in about a half an hour courtesy of the fast forward button. Most of the time the only thing I don't FF through involves the Divas/Knockouts.

I miss ECW greatly. I miss even the scrubs from ECW. I'd rather watch Roadkill & Doring take on the FBI or see 911 choleslam Fonzie straight to hell than watch the boring edgeless product WWF puts out these days. TNA I had hopes for, until that one trick pony Bischoff came in to rehash his sole good idea for the umpteenth time, with the nWo shtick wrapped up in a different package ("They"), but essentially the same as it was the last 13 years. I have a tough time keeping interested in most of the former ECW guys these days, because they are merely mimicking what they once innovated. I can't say I'm a Tommy Dreamer fan, or a Raven fan... but I can easily say I was a huge fan of Raven & Dreamer beating the holy crap out of each other.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I was a fan of Dreamer's in ECW and I always have been. I especially enjoyed seeing Raven and Dreamer go against each other back in the mid 1990s. Especially "The Bowery" match that they had in 1996, had to be one of the most violent and vile chairshots that I have ever seen someone deal and someone receive. Another truth about ECW is that Raven and The Sandman also had some brutal matches. One thing that we absolutely cannot forget about ECW is that Heyman had brought in some of the best talent from Mexico and Japan. Names like Mysterio, Psychosis, Juventud Guerrera, Eddie Guerrero, Dean Malenko, Chris Jericho, and the Suicidal..... Genocidal.....Homicidal.....Sabu. If it wasn't for ECW, most wrestling fans here in the states would know of those names that I've listed. ECW was definitely the best wrestling of the 1990s just do to the fact that it was the edgiest wrestling product that was being put on the air, whether it be on cable or pay per view. Even though Todd Gordon and Paul Heyman didn't have the money to wrangle the 'big names" away from either Turner or McMahon, ECW was by far the best product. Later on, when we basically saw the writing on the door for ECW, they still had some of the best matches out there.

Balls Mahoney vs. Axl Rotten

In one of the greatest moments from ECW, Terry Funk needs a chair and boy did he ask for it.

Masato Tanaka vs Mike Awesome

Joey Styles said it right when it came to Awesome. "Would you look at this MONSTER??" Mike Awesome was indeed a monster to behold when he wrestled in ECW and in the FMW Promotion in Japan.
RIP Mike!!

This match has to be one of the greatest and hardest fought tag team title matches that I have seen.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Ol' school

edit on 21-10-2010 by BlackOps719 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
BTW, worst kept secret in the internet wrestling community but maybe some are unaware of it, lookup "botchmania" on Youtube if you haven't already done so. They get pulled often, and the guy's account frequently gets banned, but they are among the funniest and best videos I've ever seen on YT. Easily the best wrestling related thing online since the dude at Wrestlecrap.com stopped doing captions some years ago.

From Botchmania, I was able to relive 3 of the greatest promo flubs of all time:
3. Owen on the Titantron telling his brother "Remember when I kicked the leg out of... uh, your leg?"
2. Sid telling Hall & Nash "you may be twice the man I am, but I'm half as smart as you are" and being 100% incredulous of his uninetntional error while Hall & Nash almost collapsed in laughter in the ring.
1. Shockmaster's amazing intro into WCW. (Poor Tugboat... what a buffoon.)

Memories.

Oh, and ECW... they flat out invented the WWF "Attitude" era and the WCW Crusierweight division. I have always felt that their ultimate downfall was Heyman's piss poor money management skills. If he'd had Turner's pockets or McMahon's bargaining skills, ECW would probably be rolling in money today. There's a lot wrong with the fact that TNA hired one trick pony Bischoff while Heyman sits at home, not booking for a major fed. I can only imagine how sweet TNA would be if they'd simply handed the keys over to Paul E. and allowed him to drive the bus.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Favourite wrestler?

Hard to call, my top three are definitely (in no order):

Chris Jericho
Raven
Scott Hall

Ric Flair is definitely up there too, probably number 4 actually.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
It has to be Shockmaster...

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was cleaning the house the other day and stumbled on some of my old wrestling tapes,so bump.If I had to pick one wrestler overall it would be Chris Benoit based on his in-ring performance alone and disreguarding the horrific acts of violence in the final days of his life.

I haven't watched wrestling consistently since,probably 04 or 05, I would occasionally tune in to try to catch a Benoit,Guerrero, or Angle match since then.When the Benoit tragedy happened I quit watching entirely,not soley based on the incident,but also because the quality of the product was going downhill.I have tried over the last couple of months to watch some pro-wrestling again and find it to be damn near awful,with exceptions few and far between.I find both of the major promotions to be rather low quality, and will probably go back to not watching wrestling at all.

As a couple of other posters elluded to I miss ECW,the original version not some WWE owned mockery of it. The original ECW was genius in so many ways,it was counter-culture and adult themed which at the time was unheard of.They had guys who were by no means great wrestlers but were willing to go to the extreme and push the boundaries of pro-wrestling guys like Sandman,New Jack,Balls Mahoney etc..

They also had great technical "pure" wrestlers i.e. Benoit,Dean Malenko,Eddie Guerrero,Shane Douglas etc., And the ECW actually let guys like those ply their craft,and truly wrestle which the two majors would not at the time.Yes Benoit,Guerrero,and Malenko went to WCW, but most of their matches were little 7 or 8 minute matches that half the time would end with a senseless run-in.And the great learned fans of ECW appreciated great technical wrestling in a way the mainstream fans of WWE and WCW did not at the time.ECW also pushed some of their excellent "pure" wrestlers to be harcore and it melded them beautifully.

ECW also had a great cruiserweight division,and let them also ply their craft,I don't remember if they had a title though.The WCW had great cruiserweights but never gave them the correct exposure and push.ECW had the likes of Tajiri,Lil Guido,Pyscosis,Rey Mysterio, although many of the cruiserweights did not stick around long, it was ECW that inspired the shape of the WCW's poorly run cruiserweight division for years to come.

Then they had guys who were very good "pure" wrestlers,but integrated the "extreme" into their matches so fluidly.Guys who could be excellent straight-up wrestlers without things like tables, barbed wire matches, ladder matches etc.(almost forgot about the scafolding match),but mixed the styles almost perfectly.Guys like RVD, Taz,Jerry Lynn,Mike Awsome etc..In my opinion it was the integration of all these styles that made ECW what it was,as many people think it was just a bunch of hacks putting each other through tables and they couldn't be more wrong.
EC f'n W!!!!!

As for my favorite all time wrestler, I gotta go with Benoit.One of the greatest technical/chain wrestlers ever,also would do some high-flying stuff,great high impact moves,always good in hardcore type matches i.e. ladder matches,cage matches etc., very intense, always was very believable in the ring and sold everything in the ring extremely well.Easter Egg - a young Benoit was awesome in Japan in NJPW as Pegasus Kid and Wild Pegasus,some of his best stuff was done in Japan,as at the time it was very condusive to his style.Some of my other favorites...

Eddie Guerrero
Bret Hart
Jushin Liger
Kurt Angle
Mitsuharu Misawa
Dean Malenko
The Great Sasuke
Randy Savage
Kensuke Sasaki
Rob Van Dam
Tajiri
Psycosis
Jerry Lynn
Terry Funk
Jake the Snake Roberts
Fit Finlay
Sabu
Mike Awesome & Tanaka (awesome matches together)
Chris Jericho
Kanyon

edit on 25-6-2011 by KaiserSouszay because: spelling

edit on 25-6-2011 by KaiserSouszay because: spelling

edit on 25-6-2011 by KaiserSouszay because: addition

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Stone Cold Steve Austin was always the best!

Best match ever? Mankind VS Undertaker at hell in a cell.
edit on 17-7-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
Stone Cold Steve Austin was always the best!

Best match ever? Mankind VS Undertaker at hell in a cell.
edit on 17-7-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

I dunno, Stunning Steve in WCW was a great wrestler, Superstar Steve in ECW was awesome on the mic but I could never get into Stone Cold at all. Ok, maybe I lied, I could but not as much as the other two gimmicks.

Then again, I got bored of the WWE product in September 1997 and stuck to watching just WCW and ECW until they were both closed in March 2001 and I had no choice but to go back to WWE.

Mankind vs Undertaker was a good match and showed how tough Mick Foley is despite the cage roof giving way by accident but I honestly think the best HIAC match was Taker vs Lesnar in 2002.

No clue what my favourite match is, one would have to be the 6 man tag from ECW Barely Legal 97 when some of the Michinoku PRO guys competed. Also the four way contract match at TNA Destination X 2011 between Austin Aries, Low Ki, Xema Ion and Jack Evans blew me away.

May sound controversial here but while my rare times watching WWE Raw have seen me agreeing with everything CM Punk has said since June, I think Austin Aries is a much better talker and wrestler than Punk and much more exciting to watch. It just seems like WWE are getting desperate, know business is bad for them and are trying to push their bland and boring product onto the people who tune in week after week while also trying to lure the internet fans in by making Punk say the things we've all said about the company for a decade at least.

It's like they knew he was an internet darling and super talented, knew he had the right look and personality to be able to pull it off and decided to drop kayfabe somewhat as a sly nod to the IWC to keep people not only talking about WWE but watching their horrible shows too by having a guy consistently hailed by the net as one of the best.

Notice how most Punk supporters are too busy agreeing with what he says about WWE as a company as well as Triple H, Vince McMahon, Stephanie McMahon, John Cena etc to notice that Cena is about to demolish a guy from one of Mexico's other great and legendary wrestling families to win yet another title match and have yet another title reign he doesn't deserve.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Hey, wait a minute, hammered on what now?

Sure, WWE limits women's wrestling to the point that great wrestlers are held back and fans give mild applause to models and brainwashed into thinking people like Trish Stratus are the best wrestlers ever btu if there's a good women's match, I appreciate it and am completely stone cold sober.

Maybe you should look at some SHIMMER or WSU matches? All Japan Women? GAEA? Some of the TNA Knockouts division matches?

You know, GREAT women's wrestling that involves no BS?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
"Who is your favorite pro wrestling superstar?"
I have to make that superstar(s).
I grew up in the era of terratories,AWA,NWA,WWF,WCCW.

I have had my share of favorites throught my years,different superstars through the each "era".

Midnight Rockers

Jake The Snake Roberts

Undertaker

The nWo

And seeing as someone brought up womens wrestling,anyone remember this?
LOL

GLOW WRESTLING

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I don't remember that GLOW match at the time but I did see it online a few years ag.

I'm a huge fan of Daffney, in fact I'm a fully paid "Daffanatic" (she also thinks I'm awesome and hilarious which is a bonus).

I'm not so much a fan of the old school women's wrestling but give me a match involving Manami Toyota, Cheerleader Melissa, Daffney, MsChif, LuFisto, Beth Phoenix, Nattie Neidhart, Molly Holly and the like and I'm a happy man.

Also a huge, HUGE nWo fan to the point I had their logo tattooed on my forearm back in 2006 so everyone could see. When they said "nWo 4 Life" I bought it as a teenager and have been wearing the colours ever since.

Guess I'm luckier than most fans here because not only did I get to suggest in March 2006 that Mick Foley maybe wrestled Terry Fun if he did the One Night Stand ppv and he agreed it sounded great (the match that happened was Mick Foley, Edge and Lita vs Terry Funk, Tommy Dreamer and Beulah McGillicutty.....yay me!), I also had Bret Hart call me a ladies man for getting him to sign various copies of his book for three of my female friends and those friends also happened to be my fellow mods and admin running Batista's official website (and who two of them I vacationed with in Orlando for WM24 where we got to hang with the man himself the day before the event and he told us that Taker/Edge would headline and that his match with Umaga would suck other than the entrances....honest guy lol)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

hafta go with Eddie Guerrero because of times like thise. I was never much of a fan but Eddie kept me laughing

R.I.P Latino Heat

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I would have to say Razor Ramon aka Scott Hall, he was the cream of the crop back when I was more into pro-wrestling. Stone Cold and Sycho Sid Vicious are also my favorites. Currently...Kurt Angle is the dude, cuz he's actually an Olympic gold medalist, that says more than enough.
edit on 17-10-2011 by laiguana because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I was always a fan of Big Van Vader. From his days as World Heavyweight Champion in WCW to his jobber days later into his tenure with the World Wrestling Federation. WCW used him correctly when it came to a champion, but the WWF just turned him into a mid-card monster.

This match is from his time in the Orient with All Japan and New Japan Pro Wrestling. This is his infamous match with Stan "The Lariat" Hansen in Tokyo.

The Mastadon........... VAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Curt & Bret..Mr Perfect vs The HItman

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
GOLDBURG!!!

I quit watching when he left actually...

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Big Van Vader and Bam Bam Bigelow

Anything that involved Road Warrior Hawk

Slick Ric Flair

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join