It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carl Sagan - A world not made for us.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Contact was a great film ,it was very touching for me on many levels .I thought the part when she meet the Alien who had taken the form of her dead father was somehow very beautiful and appropriate .I also remember the scenery on the planet she visited ,it was very magical/dream like .

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by phineasJwhoopie
Carl Sagan was a bum, a sellout, a liar. He knew the truth but lied to all of us to protect the government. He got funded and set up nicely, all he had to do was not speak the truth. He was a sellout of the highest order.

This is a harsh way of putting it, but true. All of his adult life he was dishonest with the public by constantly saying, "Yes, they are out there, but they can't get here, (Einstein says so).

Sagan was an avid UFOer before he realized what he must do to make it with his Ph.D. There was no future for him in that direction. Rather than preach UFOs, he preached the wonders of what is out there to a very, extremely ignorant human race. He helped build the bridge that many of your parents traveled to accept that there MAY BE other life forms out there, and truly helped put you at ATS today.

Actually, he believed life would be found on Mars. Personally, I admire the man for what he did do, but on the other hand, I dispise him for what he could have done but didn't. Would it made a difference in where we stand today? I don't know.

(For anyone disbelieving that Sagan believed in UFOs, please take the time to read William Poundstone's biography of Sagan: Carl Sagan: A Life in the Cosmos.)

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
I've only learned of Carl Sagan's existence a year ago. I bought his Cosmos series on DVD and I've seem numerous videos of him passing by. Especially on ATS.

I've got a lot of respect for this guy and I think he is one of the most brilliant and open minded scientist I've seen. I applaud his logic and his talent to let the common man understand what he so passionately tries to teach.

Again in his video, He brings the concept of religion, and he slices of what can't be right, using common sense and logic.

His view is almost my view. I can relate to his conclusion and I admire this man just a little bit more for it.

His biggest abnormality is his voice or rather his dialect. I read he was born in New York, He sounds like he is from a whole other country.

Sinter Klaas,

Carl Sagan was indeed a very insightful and down-to-earth-scientist.

If you like the video, there is much more to learn.

I found the "Planetary Society" , which was started by him and others, is a very interesting place to start. I have been a member for many years.
Look here:

www.planetary.org...

[quote]The Planetary Society, founded in 1980 by Carl Sagan, Bruce Murray, and Louis Friedman, inspires and involves the world's public in space exploration through advocacy, projects, and education. Today, The Planetary Society is the largest and most influential public space organization group on Earth. Dedicated to exploring the solar system and seeking life beyond Earth, The Planetary Society is non-governmental and nonprofit and is funded by the support of its members.

Also I belong to Seti@home which, IMHO, is doing worth-while number crunching of the data from the Arecibo radio telescope.
It's free, just uses processor time when you are not using your computer.

setiathome.berkeley.edu...

Note: see the link in my signature for an example of SETI@home results.

Enjoy and 73's,
tom (KC5ILU)

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

You sure make posts I can read without getting mad when I am pissed.S&F!

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
His biggest abnormality is his voice or rather his dialect. I read he was born in New York, He sounds like he is from a whole other country.

Carl Sagan was born in a different era of New York when people from other countries all had their own dialect. So indeed, he had an English dialect interpreted by a whole different country. But during his adulthood years, his speech would have placed him as a New Yorker as it had the most immigrants.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Sagan says there is no purpose in life. That is very misguided and I question the wisdom of that great scientist.

OP, thanks for sharing anyway.

edit: spelling

[edit on 12-7-2010 by AllIsOne]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

He didn't say life has no purpose, he's saying that people are waiting for some "divine" meaning to hit them and sadly that isn't the case. Humans must find their own path, Sagan was saying to embrace reality, not fantasy and ignorance, and instead of conforming to this system that human kind is stuck in, break out and create real goals that will help all things. I think you missed the point and to be perfectly honest I had to watch it about 5 times to absorb as much as I could.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Think about it the way were going it looks like we have outgrown the planet.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13

He didn't say life has no purpose, he's saying that people are waiting for some "divine" meaning to hit them and sadly that isn't the case. Humans must find their own path, Sagan was saying to embrace reality, not fantasy and ignorance, and instead of conforming to this system that human kind is stuck in, break out and create real goals that will help all things. I think you missed the point and to be perfectly honest I had to watch it about 5 times to absorb as much as I could.

Please check the facts and then you can distort them as you will ...LOL. He did say at 7:42 in the OP's video. Please watch it again carefully. Maybe you think that "life" exists outside of the universe, I don't. Maybe you missed his "scientific" point of there being no purpose in life ...

"There is in this universe much of what seems to be designed, but instead we repeatedly discovered that natural processes, collisional selection of worlds, or natural selection of gene pools, or even the confection pattern in a pot of boiling water can extract order out of chaos and deceive us into deducing purpose where there is none."

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Originally posted by Faiol
religion is a tool
religion is for the weak

I do not agree with that.

If it was not for christianity the west would never have been, and we would all be like africa and india still.

Think about it.

reply to post by andy1033

haha. learned aren't you?

i don't even what to say and where to start!

cheers

[edit on 12-7-2010 by letmeDANz]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Originally posted by Faiol
religion is a tool
religion is for the weak

I do not agree with that.

If it was not for christianity the west would never have been, and we would all be like africa and india still.

Think about it.

That is really funny. You made my day

Maybe you should think about the fact that Christianity is a middle-eastern cult that freely borrowed from the ancient mystics. Go West

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Again he's refering to religions "divine" purpose. Save your childish insults for someone who gives a #, clearly you see things as exactly what is said and you have no room to read between the lines.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
If you read Cosmos, you will read the history that Christians actually destroyed western civilization with the burning of the Great Library of Alexandia and brutely raped a woman that teached math and geometry to slave children. Thank you christians!

In fact, you will find that anything that Christians had "discovered" had actually existed in the materials of the Great LIbrary: such as mathematical proofs, the evidence of the sol-centric solar system, the evidnece of a spherical earth, stream powered machines, evidence of evolution, cell batteries, atomic theory and many other lost information. If you want to know how we know what books existed in a destroyed library, I will reveal that Arabs and Hindus had borrowed books from the library and simply returned copies of the original works. I will also remind people that the Greeks - that discovered all of these inventions and theories (yes, the spherical world is a theory in science) - had very little religious purpose and faith. c

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by phineasJwhoopie
Carl Sagan was a bum, a sellout, a liar. He knew the truth but lied to all of us to protect the government. He got funded and set up nicely, all he had to do was not speak the truth. He was a sellout of the highest order.

Really? We will need some more information, or you will be assumed to fit into the category of "Bat# crazy ATS wingnuts who think everyone from Mother Theresa to John Lennon were demonically possessed NWO agents."

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

Ah, I see you read my post re your inaccurate statement. Relax, it happens to the best ...

Best,

AIO

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

I remember vaguely watching cosmos on tv, but I have reached the same perspective as Sagan as far as our insignificance in the perceived Universe, on my own.

I felt really disillusioned when I came to the conclusion that

#1 Everything I know its that the Universe and my understanding of it varies. Its never constant its either expanding and contracting or some kind of fractal design. Kind of "I only know, I know nothing" or very little at best.

#2 Vanity its our biggest enemy. As humans, we might conquer all our gaps in understanding our common reality, but we mostly fail at remaining humble after such a conquest; making the entire endeavour purposeless.

Where I went after feeling insignificant its my own path. I wish for every one of the 6B people on this rock to try to follow their own path explore the possibilities and stop being followers of dogma and tradition, explore your reality, if possible keep a log of your explorations or confide on someone close. Or just post at ATS.

It may seem like what im saying its anarchist but its the natural thing to do and nature seems to be an expert at "extracting order out of chaos".

[edit on 13-7-2010 by LoKito]

[edit on 13-7-2010 by LoKito]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LoKito

I own the whole series. I bought it on dvd. I don't think it is legal to embed it, is it ?

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by lifecitizen

when did he die
or got killed
carl sagan

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne
Sagan says there is no purpose in life. That is very misguided and I question the wisdom of that great scientist.

OP, thanks for sharing anyway.

edit: spelling

[edit on 12-7-201www.youtube.com.../f/43/3ESWF3JOMSQ
maybe he was bouth off

or the oly purpowse is live0 by AllIsOne]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by icecold7
reply to post by lifecitizen

when did he die
or got killed
carl sagan