It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Census just show up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
As a citizen I pay my taxes, vote and sent in my census form ..

I did send in my census form , I only filled in the legal information that they required.. the number of people living here.. I used my right to remain silent, on the income and race and other information.. So today I get a visitor, It's a census worker..

She asked if i would fill out this other forms.. I told them I sent in my form already and that they have that form.. she said the main office may have lost it or something and they just need this information.. it was asking for date of birth for every person names etc.. if I owned my home if it had a mortgage etc.. I said if they lost this form then that is their fault, I even have a photograph of the form I sent in , since I suspected this crap would happen.

I said this is what I'll tell you.. 3 people live here, me, my wife and 1 minor son. They asked if I'd fill out the dates of birth ect. I said really they know all this information through other various sources, and all there legally need to know is how many people live here so they can adjust funding properly..

She was very nice about it all, but very insisting I filled the form out.. I again stated that 3 people live here two adults and one child. thats all you are legally required to know, and thats all I will give.. she then left..

They didn't have a handheld GPS device when they came to the door.. they did sit in there car for a few minutes after they left my doorstep.. mulling around , probably plotting there next harassment.

However this worker seemed to know, that I knew the law and that she could only ASK for the information they wanted and not demand any information beyond the number of people living here and they already had that information.

The Census is to check numbers of people living in areas for funding reasons.. nothing more.. they do not need to know how much i make what race I am or if i own my home have a mortgage or rent it..

If they come back again, next time I wont be so nice.. They now have there required information 2 times.. if they come back again I'll tell them that if they don't leave immediately I will consider it a attack against me and my family and take action in defending myself.. I'll call the police and tell them to remove these people stalking me and press charges for harassment, stalking, and trespass.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Nicely done >P could you explain me what or who Census is? any government related something. ? who are these people.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Good for you mate. Know your rights. Knowledge is power and all that.
I do wonder how many people like you, generally, that census people find themselves confronted with. Kudos to you mate.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Good for you. When your children fail to learn to read and write because school funding was further cut because you failed to fill out information you no doubt have no problem supplying when you buy stuff, be proud you did not answer some non-invasive questions that could do no harm to you. Awesome!

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
A few years back a got a census thingy in the mail. I thought 'oh joy'. I thought about filling it out many times, but knew I never would. I can still feel that erie paranoid feeling of 'omg they sent me the census, its all over now, im doomed.)

Time went on, a couple weeks perhaps, and they sent another one. The questions in these things were utterly ridiculous, I saw one of the question having to do with shower habits or something similar.

I figured they sent it to me to see if I would fill it out, I thought, they should already know who I am anyway why are they sending me a census?

I looked at the numbers on the front of the census, and it says in bold letters something like 'check the code to make sure the form is valid, if its not valid, you don't have to fill it out'. I checked the code and it was not valid, so I was under no obligation to fill it out. I also hear you also don't have to fill it out if it is not addressed to anyone and just says 'resident at so and so location'.

I went online and saw some stories, some people said these people would show up at their houses trying to get them to fill out the census. Well, that never happened to me, but I do recall a lot of helicopters over my house at one time.

Someone told me to fill out the census in red ink, but that didn't sound like an appealing idea.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by E-ville

so other than people that go around giving out fake census forms is there any reason to fear the census or are you just making this up as you go along?

i'm guessing you don't have a clue one way or another and you're just making up all this hype. at least one of the other posters knew enough to check online to see if his form was authentic or not.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Here is the clincher of this whole thing .. a month previous to this visit we got a visit from a different worker.. they were asking about the neighbors.. the neighbors don't live there.. the house is empty , has been for over 8 years.. The worker talked to my wife.. my wife said that we sent our form in and the worker said yes, we received it, we just need to know about your neighbors.. My wife said the house is vacant and no one lives there..

So worker 1, said yes we received it and then this worker today said that they didn't receive it.. So I caught them in a lie.. I also have photographic proof of my original form filled out etc..

Now as for saying that my kids school isn't going to have funding etc.. I pay for schools through my taxes and my child will not attend s public school so there getting a freebee from me anyhow.. I am worried about my childs education, that is why he is not going to a public school..

You'd think this worker would have known I would not do anything more than leagly bound to do.. by the fullsize cargo van with the "Ron Paul rEVOLution" logo painted across both sides. in the front yard.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanObanion
reply to post by E-ville

so other than people that go around giving out fake census forms is there any reason to fear the census or are you just making this up as you go along?

i'm guessing you don't have a clue one way or another and you're just making up all this hype. at least one of the other posters knew enough to check online to see if his form was authentic or not.

I DID send in my form, and the first worker said they DID receive it.. and the second said they didn't receive it, and I answered her questions that I was legally bound to answer.. they do not need or have the authority to ask for any information other than the amount of people living at that address.. the done need to know or have the authority to know my race, or my income, or if I rent or own my home or any other information.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
See we have that here in the UK its called The Office of National Statistics

www.statistics.gov.uk...

They do exactly the same thing, they send you out leaflets, they phone you try and arrange appointments to come out and have interviews with you about nearly all aspects of life.

Now, these guys get #d about a lot. People think they are government spys, which to be honest is sort off true, BUT there sole intention is is to basicaly get accurate information for the government so it can, when possible deliver a better service for you and your familys.

It is honestly that simply, i know a lot of people who work for this office, they are mostly just perfectly normal people, though very well educated, more so than most and have a curious bent for stats and never understand why people waste there time and just #ing help them give them the info they need.

Think your goverrnment gives a # about this data?, nope. There is not some evil spy master hoarding this data chuckling away to himself how he can use it to somehow screw you. But someone who is try to get a bill through that gets funding from the government who is using this data might though, so the more accurate and reliable it is, the better for you.

Having said that, im with the OP, # em.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
It seems a little unfair and paranoid to automatically assume the census workers will keep "harassing" you. While she, or they as you kept saying, but it seemed like you only mentioned the woman, was in her car she was probably checking where she needed to go next.

I don't think the census folks are very well organized. One day, I got visited by a worker, answered the questions and then later that day another one came by. I told her I had all ready been visited and she went on her way. It doesn't seem impossible for them to not know about the empty house or to not know that your census was received.

This census worker sounds more pleasant and understanding than pushy and intrusive. After all, she only tried to get the info from you...two times?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by K J Gunderson
Good for you. When your children fail to learn to read and write because school funding was further cut because you failed to fill out information you no doubt have no problem supplying when you buy stuff, be proud you did not answer some non-invasive questions that could do no harm to you. Awesome!

Is not filling out the DOB and other personal information needed for school funding. That is the dumbest rebuttal I have read regarding the census.

GJ OP, Know your rights and not be bullied into giving information that is not needed.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
When we returned from vacation last week I found 3 notices from a census agent on my door with her name and phone number on them wanting me to call her! I, like the OP, filled out my census form listing only the number of residents and mailed it back on time. I am not trying to be difficult or a bad citizen. I do know my constitutional rights.
I really hope she doesn't come back. I hate confrontations, but I am very suspicious of this entire process right now.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
yeah, I said she was very nice.. but push.. I realize she is just doing her job.. even if she doesn't know exactly what her job is to do.. she just does as she is told.

I don't trust any agency that intentionally misuses there powers.. they are granted the power to poll the populous for only the amount of people living in a general area.. thats all.. they intentionally mislead people into thinking all the questions are mandatory..

The local school system here also does this, they lie and misinforming people , they say kids must be vaccinated to go to public school, even when on the form for the vaccinations there is a opt-out clause.. all you have to do it go take the form and get it notarized that your not partaking in vaccinations for because they conflict with your personal beliefs..

Yet they send letters and publish in the schools monthly newsletter that they are required or your kid wont be able to attend school.. Its a lie and they know it.

This is a total and blatant lie and they perpetuate it like the truth... its dishonest and immoral.

I will have nothing to do with crooked organizations in any way except what I'm obliged to do as a citizen.. and I have done that.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Did not receive form to fill out in the mail..no one came knocking on my door...YEAH!! Am I off "THE GRID"???

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I wonder how many of us actually only answered the first question (number of residents) and sent in the form. It would have been funny to see a census bureau official go on tv and throw a huge hissy because all they received were answers to the first question. I know that wouldn't happen- somebody there probably read the Constitution.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I just got visited by a census worker about 2 hrs ago. He was a young guy and wanted to know if the house across the street was empty on April 1st. I told him I think so, he then took my name and address as a "confirmation."

I shouldn't have answered the door.

Here's the thing though. We have a friend that is a census coordinator, so last time we visited I pumped her for information.

The first question I asked her was why so many forms were not sent back. She said because Congress made it a law that they couldn't be mailed to PO Boxes. Just in our area there were 10,000 forms not sent back, because almost everyone here uses a PO Box.

She also said that the government is wasting money. They sent her to a small town in South Dakota to check empty or abandoned houses, and confirm their status.

She said she was paid $12,000 to just check these houses. This included travel expenses and a hotel while she was there. She said, "Multiply that by every small town in America."

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by E-ville

so it's just as i said. not one single reason why you shouldn't trust the census. for all we know it's perfectly safe to let your children spend the day with them.

unless someone can provide some actual evidence that the census is somehow screwing people over this entire argument is stupid.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I just love how paranoid people get about the Census.

It's like OOOOH there asking questions of me. "maw, get da guns!"

The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.

Article I Section 2 United States Constitution.

(a) Whoever, being over eighteen years of age, refuses or
willfully neglects, when requested by the Secretary, or by any
other authorized officer or employee of the Department of Commerce
or bureau or agency thereof acting under the instructions of the
Secretary or authorized officer, to answer, to the best of his
knowledge, any of the questions on any schedule submitted to him in
connection with any census or survey provided for by subchapters I,
II, IV, and V of chapter 5 of this title, applying to himself or to
the family to which he belongs or is related, or to the farm or
farms of which he or his family is the occupant, shall be fined not
more than $100.
(b) Whoever, when answering questions described in subsection (a)
of this section, and under the conditions or circumstances
described in such subsection, willfully gives any answer that is
false, shall be fined not more than $500.
(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, no person
shall be compelled to disclose information relative to his
religious beliefs or to membership in a religious body.

Title 13, Section 221

So y'all who think that the Census taker can only ask how many people live in your house need to pull your heads out of your behinds and actually look up the law. All you are doing is being paranoid, and being total asses, you are deliberately screwing your state over for representation.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Well, it's all a moot point for me now. My son just told me that a census taker came by a couple of days ago and he answered all of her questions. Oh well. I took the opportunity to explain it all to him and warned him to remember this in 10 years. He'll be 27 then.

new topics

top topics

join