It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preferences

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
It is my general observation that the majority of personnel on this web site far prefer fantasy issues to those that have and will affect our real daily lives. Can anyone explain to my why this tendency exists?

It is both perplexing and discouraging for me. Several people have already suggested that I am simply on the wrong communication site, and that I should leave. I would like to determine if that is in fact an accurate assessment.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
It tends to be this way because this web site caters to alternative topics, which brings in a wide variety of members. There are all types here, as you know, ranging from the very scientific, to the complete 'everything is a conspiracy person', as well as new agers, spiritual people, and we can't leave out the trolls.

It's the nature of the site. Like minded individuals that come to be with other like minded individuals that have no outlet in the real world because most people aren't tolerant of conspiracies, even if proven with fact to back up their claims. If there is a concern on your part, just don't visit the forum topics that aren't believable or interesting to you. Simple. It's ok to have an open mind, but if this bothers you so much that you can't avoid the various topics you don't agree with, then maybe you are on the wrong site. I would say either accept it or don't. Can't get anymore complicated than that. I don't think you need to be told what you like in a site, and what you should live with, do you? I'm sure there are more than enough forum topics to go around, that you can find what you're looking for without having to entertain the extreme alternative theories.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Could you be a little more specific, please, about which topics are fantasy and which affect daily lives?

Perhaps those that you consider fantasy others consider real and part of daily life?

There are many boards on ATS. Why don't you frequent only those that suit your style?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
One person's truth is another person's fantasy. Try telling someone who has been dealing with ET abduction for years, that they weren't abducted. Absence of evidence is not absence of truth.

More people claim to have seen UFOs than have seen God. Yet people still believe in God.

Try telling the church they are perpetuating myth. People get awfully upset with this.

Same with people dealing with paranormal issues. Just 'cause someone has never seen a ghost, doesn't mean they definitely don't exist.

Science is science fiction until it is real science.
Enough said.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Truth1000

You mean like the huge amount of dream threads and the like? Well we're all (most of us) wondering where we came from and what is the reason for everything, life, the universe etc. so maybe that explains it. Existential frustration.

Don't you want the answer to just about everything? I do. And they're out there.

Just need...

to...

find...

them..

Bah, it's gone!

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Have to agree with SeenMyShare up there...this is not just a conspiracy site, it is a site for alternative topics, stop just looking at the front page for topics and go to the boards to find what it is you're interested in...

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

It is my general observation that the majority of personnel on this web site far prefer fantasy issues to those that have and will affect our real daily lives. Can anyone explain to my why this tendency exists?

Because linking an "alternative" topic, such as a conspiracy[pick one of a million] to how it will affect our daily lives often requires a great deal of research, a very sound understanding of history, geography, economy/financing, politics, logic and more often than not common sense.

Unfortunatly that is greatly lacking in a lot of threads/posts so wild specualtion on fantasy concerning how we might like things to be, are rife, as apposed to how things actualy are.

Being impartial is also something that must at all times be stressed and applied to any post, a serious lack of impartiality often leads to people being under the impression there view, however mis guided or ignorant, is often the truth or the fact of matter, when in infact it could be so far from the truth it is often not even worth pointing out.

Also many people are drawn in by sensationalist tactics such as those employed by the powers at be. Many begin to believe and trust highly untrusted sources such as Alex Jones, David Icke etc as they believe there world views are somehow similar and refuse to accept they have been suckerd in by the same tactics that brainwash so many millions of "sheep" in the mainstream media, simply because they are blinded by impartiality and need to somehow validate there beliefes one way or another.

The New Age money making scam is a good example. Pieces of inanimate quartz that cure cancer, LOL ok then.

Just because someone proffeses to believe in UFO's or vast world banking conspiracys doesnt mean to say they are not a gullible moron, because chances are...

[edit on 10-7-2010 by Johnze]

[edit on 10-7-2010 by Johnze]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
There is a reason people have so many different kinds of interests, because each person has lived a life that is unique to their own experiences. For that reason, there are many topics and boards available for the different types of issues each person finds interesting.

However, some issues are globally important. If we go to war, why did we go to war? Why are we putting the lives of our young people in the way of danger?

When our government chooses to create financial policy that is contrary to the good of the masses, yet is beneficial to a very small, already rich people, why do we not hold our leaders responsible?

When we use and abuse the people of other nations around the world, and allow our leaders to perform actions that are absolutely against the wishes of the American public, that is highly important to virtually all Americans. The other citizens of the world will hold us accountable, yet we fail to react accordingly. Why shouldn't the people of other nations become upset with our actions?

While all people are able to look for those topics that interest them personally, when the option of having these type of actions explained are ignored, and not supported, why then do these same people claim they are upset that more disclosures are not revealed?

These types of issues truly affect the daily lives of a majority of our citizens, rather than small groups of people with particularly unique experiences.

Therefore the question remains, what types of "truths" actually are acceptable for discussion in this format?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Truth1000
There is a reason people have so many different kinds of interests, because each person has lived a life that is unique to their own experiences. For that reason, there are many topics and boards available for the different types of issues each person finds interesting.

Very true, there are many topics.

However, some issues are globally important. If we go to war, why did we go to war? Why are we putting the lives of our young people in the way of danger?

The people don't have any power any more. They don't hold the leaders accountable enough. Therefore, the leaders don't listen to the people, because they no longer feel they have to. They keep getting voted in. War gets started for whatever reason, resources, power struggles, etc. and enough people follow the leader blindly...

When our government chooses to create financial policy that is contrary to the good of the masses, yet is beneficial to a very small, already rich people, why do we not hold our leaders responsible?

The rich few have the power that money brings. Our leaders are pandering to the rich. Regular people don't get heard anymore.

When we use and abuse the people of other nations around the world, and allow our leaders to perform actions that are absolutely against the wishes of the American public, that is highly important to virtually all Americans. The other citizens of the world will hold us accountable, yet we fail to react accordingly. Why shouldn't the people of other nations become upset with our actions?

They do. But all the leaders are corrupt in their own way.

While all people are able to look for those topics that interest them personally, when the option of having these type of actions explained are ignored, and not supported, why then do these same people claim they are upset that more disclosures are not revealed?

These types of issues truly affect the daily lives of a majority of our citizens, rather than small groups of people with particularly unique experiences.

Therefore the question remains, what types of "truths" actually are acceptable for discussion in this format?

All truths (legal) are acceptable for discussion. Aren't they?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Like some have said, it's a forum for alternative topics. I'm not exactly sure what you expected to see here. I wouldn't go to a knitting forum and say, "what's the deal with all these people talking about knitting".

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

You said:

The boards are there.....you can go explore them for yourself.
You will see whether you believe they have anything to offer you, and whether you have anything to offer.

Only you can make this determination.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I appreciate the responses.

The knitting analogy is basically the conclusion I have already reached. I am not of the correct mindset for this site, and it is likely the wrong forum for my purposes.

Thank you each very much, and have a nice day.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   
It is ok of you are a skeptic and prefer topics that have tangible evidence, however keep in mind that you get a wide spectrum of people on this site who will not agree with you. They many wanna discuss the NWO, God, Bigfoot, Aliens, or that they are aliens themselves

It kinda comes with the territory.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Actually I just took a look at some of your theads, and you seem like a compatible ATS member. In fact I read several of your OP's and found them quite interesting.

So I guess it's just a matter of personal enjoyment. ATS doesn't have to be a "do or don't" thing. It can be a "sometimes" pastime, if you wish.

Anyway, hope to see you around once in a while anyway!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   

At the end of the day, people just want to be entertained.

But im sure a lot of members here are appreciative of the serious discussions that go on and are able to draw the line between fantasy and reality.

It is another unusual aspect of ATS. What i read i dont post on - what i post on i dont read.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I generally avoid the 'woo' threads and stick with the science forums.

Sometimes I peek in there, but it generally just makes me depressed, so I avoid them like the plague.

top topics

join