It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is a Cop-out

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Saul of Tarsus

Atheism is a cop-out.

Yes... Refusing to blindly believe in man made mythologies without evidence of those man made mythologies depicting reality accurately is a complete total cop-out.

Your right, we should all blindly believe in the deities of man made mythologies because without such a belief in invisible deities we can never love one another.

You sir are an unintelligent troll.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I think Atheists tend to fall into two categories: first there are those rebelling against their religious parents, and secondly those that don't like the idea of having to answer for their behaviour.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robert Reynolds
I think Atheists tend to fall into two categories: first there are those rebelling against their religious parents, and secondly those that don't like the idea of having to answer for their behaviour.

What an ignorant, naive, and uneducated reply. It is simply astounding the level of intelligence that religious upbringing provides. I find it utterly fascinating that you lot haven't died off yet.

My parents were Atheists and I answer to society based upon my behavior. You think a lack of biblical mythology worshiping means a lack of morality? You think that we as Atheists can't possibly do ANY good at all because we don't follow your violent religious hypocritical convictions?

Come on now... That's just plain retarded.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

I follow no religion and you're 'ignorant' on my upbringing which makes your judgement of me based on so little, rather 'naive'. Having a definitive opinion that there is no God would imply you're rather 'uneducated' in some areas.

I found God through science, not by what it was telling us, but by what it wasn't. When I talk of God, I'm not talking of some coping mechanism, I'm talking of direct experience of deity and a very real conciousness.

Some of the cocnlusions you leap to are patently absurd and the stars you've recieved for that post, might possibly indicate a kind of blind following by the awarders akin to that of organised religions.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by Robert Reynolds]

[edit on 10-7-2010 by Robert Reynolds]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
If you think about atheists that way, then this is the way I think about Christianity

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bd4ef11f36c6.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Robert Reynolds

I found God through science, not by what it was telling us, but by what it wasn't. When I talk of God, I'm not talking of some coping mechanism, I'm talking of direct experience of deity and a very real conciousness.

Really now? So because science has no definitive answer or rather, various explanations behind origins without a definitive final say on origins, this inherently must mean that the Judaic-Christian biblical mythology or some derivative of it's deity must exist?

You didn't find this deity through science. Claiming God through gaps of knowledge is a pointless endeavor and innate human stupidity. You see a lack of definitive answers and utilize that gap by combining it with an explanatory experience (at least from your perspective) and use that as your personal evidence of some monotheistic entity derived from biblical mythology. You may not follow the Judaic-Christian mythology, but you sure as hell utilize it to answer the question of origins for yourself. And what a rather arrogant simple/narrow minded conclusion at that!

Why a singular deity? Why not a plethora of various creators? Could it be a simple case of cultural/societal impact on what you consider God should be? I would bet that's the case!

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Athiests use the same fools logic as the religious do, both jump to conclusions over something that when all is said and done they can't know for sure if they are right. Athiests just are not bound to serve any deity or higher good.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
Athiests use the same fools logic as the religious do, both jump to conclusions over something that when all is said and done they can't know for sure if they are right. Athiests just are not bound to serve any deity or higher good.

Don't have to serve any 'higher good'? Wow... Just abso-fing-lutely wow.

Yes, it is utterly wrong of Atheist doing good for the sake of doing good. How dare us heathen bastards not do good in return for an eternal reward!

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

It was a typo, it was supposed to be god, not good.

Don't get your knickers in a not.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by pazcat]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Why are religious types so ignorant of what atheism actually is?

Can you tell me what conclusions we jump to?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I take offence at the assumption I am a religious type, I clearly said athiest and religious types both fall in the same category.
Both make claims about something they do not know and can't know. One may be right but there is no way of knowing.
Quite simple really.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I take offence at the assumption I am a religious type, I clearly said athiest and religious types both fall in the same category.

I know. That is wrong. An atheist would know that.

Both make claims about something they do not know and can't know. One may be right but there is no way of knowing.
Quite simple really.

Again, I ASK...what claims or assumptions do atheists make?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Sorry OP, I couldnt finish reading all your pseudo-babble and I don't agree with your assertion at all.

In fact, I think religion is a cop out, no facts required makes it easier to believe in something that I'm pretty sure doesnt exist.

There is no proof of a god or supernatural being that is coming to save us.
Its wishful thinking- a little comfort blanket.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lifecitizen

The original poster is most likely another user who decided it would be great to troll on ATS. Most likely it's randyvs. He created a similar thread a while back. Looks like randyvs has a lot of time on his hands to troll ATS.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
hahaha I actually thought I must be in a Randy thread

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

Do you honestly not get it? Thre is only the one claim am I right?

Guess not.
The claim that there is no god. As opposed to the claim there is a god.
Both claims are jumping to conclusions.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   

No, you are not right.

Guess not.
The claim that there is no god.

Nope.

As opposed to the claim there is a god.

Nope.

You are somehow assuming, as religious types do, that you need to know of a god in order to be atheist. That is not what it is.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by K J Gunderson]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Guess not.

There is no proof of a god, so how can Atheists be jumping to conclusions?
Seems a logical conclusion to me.

Claiming there is a god otoh, could very well be seen as jumping to conclusions, as there is absolutely no proof of a god existing.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Guess not.

Atheism makes no claim towards the actual existence of any deity. Atheism is lack of belief in any man made mythological entity, be it God, Zeus, Osiris or Odin.

A man made mythology is a man made mythology that bears no relation to reality. Should there have been an entity behind the origins of the universe and/or life upon this insignificant rock, one would imagine clear evidence of this entity existing. As such no evidence exist, Atheists see no substantial reason to blindly believe in it's existence.

If you can't even make a valid argument about Atheism, then please don't attempt to do so unless you enjoy looking like an uneducated naive troll.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
No, I am not.
Thing is, I'm not assuming a thing and I'm quite content with that. It is you that seems to have all the answers. I don't even really care about the whole subject to be honest.
I merely pointed out both sides are making the same leap, just on the opposite side of things.

edit@ sirnex: It's a perfectly valid argument, both sides need to prove there belief before i will jump on any bandwagon. Don't belittle me, I know exactly what I'm dealing with, I have been there and done that.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by pazcat]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join