It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism is a Cop-out

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Atheism is a cop-out. Non-belief in GOD is non-belief in self. GOD is not a dead white male in the sky. G (generate) O (organize) D (deliver) are attributes of the one reality of which we are part, therefore attributes of ourselves. Dualism (religion) and atheism are falsehoods. Truth is unity. There is no separation between us and GOD, separation exists only in the mind.
Ah hah!, got your attention didn’t I? Now, for those who have seen this same thread in another category and were thinking of commenting, there is a good reason why this thread appears twice. The Brahmin caste in India wears two threads over the shoulder symbolic of the possibility of a second birth. This thread appearing under both “Conspiracies in Religions” and “Philosophy and Metaphysics” is symbolic of the possibility of a second birth out of the ignorance of religion and atheism into self knowledge and unity.
OK, back to the thread. To illustrate the point I cite an example of a human life. 25 years ago a band with a female lead singer got up on stage and kicked some serious ass (sorry, it just doesn’t work with a**). It was the eighties and the alternative scene was exploding all over the planet. In our country’s limited music market, this band was on the radio all the time, they performed all over the country, they were hot, it was all happening for them, they could have cracked the international scene with ease. Then nothing… Recently, I was wondering what ever happened to this band. I searched the net and eventually managed to find one of their tracks on Youtube, the one that they cracked the scene with, apart from that nothing. All that potential and their total contribution is one song.
The above is judgmental yes, however there is more. I was part of the same music scene at the time, not achieving the kind of success this band was though. In fact, I had to leave the band I was playing for at the time, before they were able to achieve any measure of success (which they did for a time). In our case, my own self-judgment had been the limiting factor for our band. With that out the way, they made the scene. Ultimately however, there is also only one of their tracks on Youtube. So if you are making the scene, whilst not believing in yourself, in the end the difference in contribution to the whole is one song, compared to a band like AC/DC with their massive contribution. The difference is belief in self (GOD).
The purpose of the examples quoted above is to stir up the quantum soup. If I have succeeded in doing so, anybody to whom this applies will be feeling a bit of discomfort, and that is good! Although evolution is natural, dying and being reborn does not take place without a measure of discomfort. Both religion and atheism can be likened to blockages in the nozzle of the airbrush we are painting our external reality with. Religion is like a partial blockage and atheism a total blockage. So, if you are still generating, organizing and delivering you cannot be a true atheist, perhaps more of an agnostic (confused).

That’s OK, it is perfectly understandable. On at least two occasions during the present world age, this planet has suffered blockages in the essential flow of wisdom to humanity. Perhaps this was part of the grand design all along. Now that science has caught up with spirituality, the ancient wisdom that is starting to make sense of the all has miraculously become manifest. Buddha was not a Buddhist and Christ was not a Christian. They are metaphors for unblocked “nozzles” through which unrestricted and abundant manifestation pours into this world. For more than half a century a modern Buddha and a modern Christ have walked this planet, without anyone noticing (like thieves in the night). I will not do humanity the disservice of pointing them out to you and they would not appreciate it either. They have devoted their lives to bringing light into this world, and continue to do so with complete devotion, bless their souls. “Seek and ye shall find…”
The point is or should I say the points are the rest of us. Are we ready to clear our blockages? The question to keep asking yourself is “who am I?” When your answer finally brings the biggest grin imaginable to your face and in the next moment slips through your fingers as if it were never here, you have glimpsed it. To keep it here, keep asking the question. In this state you find that one last mirror that shows you where the blockage is. When you clear that, love and peace flows into this world through you unrestricted.
Thank you for being my mirror!
I am your humble servant

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Saul of Tarsus
. For more than half a century a modern Buddha and a modern Christ have walked this planet, without anyone noticing (like thieves in the night). I will not do humanity the disservice of pointing them out to you and they would not appreciate it either.

At the substantial risk of blocking my nozzle even further , are you claiming to have knowledge of the whereabouts of " a modern Buddha and a modern Christ " ?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Oh, it's this thread again. Atheist here, happily trying to do good and believing in myself.

A question to OP - why not contribute to one of the multitude of impotent Theist/Atheist threads as opposed to dredging a topic that will never be finalised one way or the other?

Too bored on a Saturday? It's sunny where I am, go do something useful instead of trolling.

+5 more 
posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Theism is a cop-out. Explaining things not understood and feared, though religious propaganda is tyranny! Not allowing someone to express themselves because someone else thinks it is "sin" has no logic. Forcing others into your agenda is the only reason for belief in god.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Saul of Tarsus

This pseudo-religious rant is supposed to convince me my atheism is a cop-out? Sorry, I still don't see any evidence of gods so I'm still inclined to lack belief in them.

The old we are one with God or collectively we are God ploy is nice and all, its a fun philosophical idea, but that doesn't make it true, its just a shifting of the goal posts for the definition of God.

Are we ready to clear our blockages?
Is that really the way you want to phrase it?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Atheism is a cop out?

Give me proof that God exists and I will believe. Oh... that's right... I remember, one must have faith. Yeah, you must believe, WITHOUT ANY proof. Otherwise you will suffer an eternity of pain, suffering and torture. Unending misery and burning without rest.

We are commanded to love. That itself is nonsense.

The demands of God, which we are taught by preachers and priests etc, sound like the needs of man not a God. Abeyance, loyalty, MONEY under threat of hell torture, burning pain, red hot spikes in your eyes and demons eating your innards and dancing on your body as you rot.... blah blah blah...

Oh God, if we tell you how big and powerful you are at least once a week, you will not send us to the fire pits to burn will you... please...?

I think God already knows how great he is. The idea that mere humans need to praise the ego of a supreme being is just silly. Would the supreme being not already know who the good people are? I mean, I really want to do the right thing! Really! That is my intention. But I am not going to give credence to an organisation of people (religions) under threat of torture. I will live my life as well as I can and help my fellow people where I can along the way. If I end up burning because of that then... well... that is some bad dude in control.

Time to grow up everyone. Take responsibility for your actions. Act in your own name and not that of a God that you are told exists from a child.

Everyone is equal. We are an expression of life. To believe otherwise is to put one above another and thus cause pain, conflict and ultimately war and death.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by Pentothal]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by theuhstuf

reply to post by Titen-Sxull

I agree with both of you, but do we really need to feed those that dwell under bridges?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
seems like i type these thoughts just about every other day ... don't know why i bother.

atheists, at least be definition, do not place value judgements on your fantasies.

atheists are not atheists because they think what you believe is wrong or silly (though they may believe that, in addition, and it also may be true).

atheists, typically, are so because they do not have any evidence that indicates there are deities.

again, by definition, if an atheist were presented with evidence of a deity, he would cease to be an atheist and would become a deist ... because there's evidence ... as opposed to now, when there is none (though of course, many do not feel this is the case and profess they do indeed have evidence of a deity and therefore they are deists ... and that's all well and good for them).

atheists, as a part of their atheism, do not want to kill you for your belief. some atheists detest the auxiliary baggage of deists (and their over-influence on society) and therefore amplify their problems with believers, but that is an individual opinion that is not strictly tied to the simplicity of having evidence of a deity or not having evidence of a deity.

atheism is not a religion, because the point of it is there is no evidence of a deity. atheism does not believe there is no god(s). atheism stresses a lack of evidence. choosing not to believe in a god indicates one exists and you've elected to deny its existence. this is not reasonable.

atheists do not choose not to believe. so they are neither choosing to believe or choosing not to believe. they are looking around for evidence and observing that there is none. that's not a belief. it's an act of observation.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Perfect! Many Blessings

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Sorry, perhaps your thread isn't being overwhelmed with the conflict you were hoping for?

Maybe you missed my question:

A question to OP - why not contribute to one of the multitude of impotent Theist/Atheist threads as opposed to dredging a topic that will never be finalised one way or the other?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Before you ran to the headmaster to close the other thread, Gandhi replied:

"I see what your saying.

Because people are born, and naturally accept the reality their born in as the reality, and then jump to conclusions due to primitive surroundings; They don't realize the fact that existence itself is impossible with the logic of thinking they are using.

If they reset, then they would see that being an atheist requires a bigger belief system than any other."

I rest my case

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

reply to post by jokei

"I see what your saying.

Because people are born, and naturally accept the reality their born in as the reality, and then jump to conclusions due to primitive surroundings; They don't realize the fact that existence itself is impossible with the logic of thinking they are using.

If they reset, then they would see that being an atheist requires a bigger belief system than any other."

I rest my case

Atheists may well require a bigger belief system, it tends to be one based on experience and research - remember it's simpler to read one easy book than lots of difficult ones.

I did not run to the headmaster to close your other, near identical thread, to be more clear - I did not report it to a moderator.

I think you misunderstood my question, I'm not sure I can make it more simple, so I will just repeat it and hope you can understand it. I am assuming English is your first language, if it isn't please state and I'll make an attempt to interpret it into your native language for you.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

I find your title to be very judgmental, to make your own stance look 'good'.

I dont find God holding it against anyone for needing to only believe what they can see or know. God is understanding...and will offer to all what they are in need of. Being content with your inner self, is a big part of what we all are in need of. Not seeking rewards in the after life, just living the best you know how with honest intentions, being humble enough to not place yourself above others.....these are important attributes that a non believer can have.

I dont think its about banking our soul on a belief, I think its about a weighing of our inner nature, what kind of person we are.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I rest my case

But your case is flawed, and is not sound.

Their stance does not stand on a 'belief' at all....they accept things they can observe, study, figure, reason with, understand. There is nothing wrong with that. It doesnt keep anyone from being a good person, which is what matters.

There are those that believe, and are only good people, because they await rewards for being 'good'. This is not honest, this is not true intentions.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by LeoVirgo]

[edit on 10-7-2010 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I'm an atheist and i respect your right to believe in Mohammed, Jesus, God, pixies, elves, etc.

No arguement from me here, except i don't believe in those things.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I love how the cop calls agnostics "confused".

FYI, we're just as confused as the rest of the world...but we chose not the blindly believe in fairy tales and make things up. We're actually ok admitting to not having all the answers.

Realist > blind obedient sheep imo

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Harder to be an athiest then a religious person. An athiest has no one to account to but themselves. They can't blame it all on someone else. aka God or the Devil.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

reply to post by jokei

"I see what your saying.

I rest my case

That's coming from the same man who said, "I like your Christ, but I do not like your Christians - they are so unlike your Christ."

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Harder to be an athiest then a religious person. An athiest has no one to account to but themselves. They can't blame it all on someone else. aka God or the Devil.

The scapegoat route can be dangerous for people. When the over come something that was really hard to do, they dont give themselves credit. When the do something wrong, they may not accept it as their own doing.

I think its important to not pass the buck to something outside of yourself.

And I still believe in a higher power....just not the same 'image' or 'nature' that most find Thee to be. Some of the wisest words I find in the Bible are....'pick up your own cross'.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
HERE WE GO AGAIN!
Go thump your bible elsewhere.
You people are liars. You claim to be christian, catholic, etc yet you judge everyone on here for NOT believing as you do.
That makes you no more a #ing christian than standing in a garage makes you a car.
GTFO.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join