It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Limit to Embedded Videos in OPs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Embedded vids can really add to an OP. Sometimes they can express points more clearly than the member is able to do. They aren't a bad thing...but... can we have some guidelines about reasonable use?

A couple of weeks ago a member embedded over 30 videos. The running time of the vids was over 24 hours! Every other day, we get threads where the OP embeds series of videos. Apart from causing system lag and stalling browsers, they are often used to sidestep having an original thought.

If I post a thread and use an external source, guidelines recommend using no more than three paragraphs of the text. It's also advised to avoid using too much external text. These guidelines make a lot of sense and encourage the member to come up with an opinion.

In the case of the guys who let YT do all their talking for them, they expect people to donate up to several hours (sometimes) of our lives and then 'discuss.'

How about a guideline limit? One or two videos and a link to the other 20 parts?

Please?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I can agree with your concerns on this. sometimes video content can really lag you.

however, there are some posts I've come across that used YT to prove the point of truth on the topic at hand, and sometimes it took several alternative sources to make that point irrefutable, which is an expression of truth, the thing we here on ATS seek.

I think that a little lag is worth the total truth, if it takes that. Just something to consider if guidelines are in order.

Thanx for your time!

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Yeah, i also think we need there a good guideline for embedding videos in OP.

As i have only mobile net i am only able to see vids in ca. two weeks a month.
Sometimes i´m really angry to see a thread title sounding very interesting and then open just a one-liner saying:
"Hey, found this on yt.... have a look:" Thats so ignorant!

Also i have to agree with you Megiddodiddo: If it is needed for the truth
then vids should be in the OP.
But as Kandinsky stated before i also agree with, if there are, lets say, 3+ vid-parts, a link should be enough!

Peace

new topics

join