It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans did not evolve from monkeys! - Clearing up a misconception

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Every time a new evolution thread pops up I see an alarming number of people who have the same misconception about evolution. They seem to be under the impression that humans evolved from monkeys. I want to clear this up.

Humans and apes, while related they are related, neither is descended from the other. We merely share a common ancestor. Somewhere down the line our DNA and theirs drifted apart as our ancestor, who was neither ape nor man, branched off into two distinct species.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I don't understand your posts because you say " somewhere down the line" our DNA separated - that does not mean that originally one did not evolve from the other. We still share a very close DNA.

Do you have a link on a scientific study to prove this?

I love apes, adorable and smart - more so than some people I know.

Not one bit ashamed to consider they might be an ancestor!

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I'll look for a link soon but in the meantime I'll explain it better.

Humans and Apes, especially chimps, all are descended from a creature that is now likely extinct. This creature mutated and branched off in two directions. One branch eventually led to humans. The other branch branched off even further to create the several species of apes.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I do not believe humans evolved from apes.

Given the current state of affairs, I would say
humans DEvolved from apes...

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

I'll look for a link soon but in the meantime I'll explain it better.

Humans and Apes, especially chimps, all are descended from a creature that is now likely extinct. This creature mutated and branched off in two directions. One branch eventually led to humans. The other branch branched off even further to create the several species of apes.

To expand, we share what are referred to as "Common Ancestors".

Homo Habillis, Australopithecus, Neanderthal, Homo Erectus, Not in that specific order but originating from those.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I reckon that you have misconstrued the theory of evolution...

Are you in fact discrediting the entire theory of evolution?

What exactly is your point of contention?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
there really is so little distinction between saying that we descended from apes versus that apes and us descended from a common ancestor. what difference does it make? does it really cheapen us if the common ancestor that we share with whatever ape species is deemed "ape?" who cares? anyone with any sense that isn't jaded by the retardation of religion clearly understands that there is a line of hominids from which apes, chimpanzees, gorillas and humans all descend. and that's cool.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Leonardo01

I think the OP is trying to clear up how misleading it is to say that the theory of evolution states that we descended from monkeys. It would be like saying that you "descended from" your ninth cousin twice removed or something -- it's confusing "related to" with "descended from".

I'm not sure how common it actually is for people arguing against evolution to make the claim that evolution says humans descended from monkeys, but in effect the OP was (as I understand it) trying to torch that straw man.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I never heard or read that we descended from the ape or monkey but rather that we had a common ancestor.
No?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

Thank you for clarifying evolution to the OP, and yes it is cool!

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leonardo01
I reckon that you have misconstrued the theory of evolution...

Are you in fact discrediting the entire theory of evolution?

What exactly is your point of contention?

Maybe you should read the thread, that might clear things up.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Good point OP!

Don't think it'll change the hardcore creationist posts though I'm afraid. They'll still come up with retarded points like "no way we evolved from monkeys", or "Darwin acknowledged the existence of God in the end", or similar bull#.

I gave up educating the stupid along time ago when it comes to the creationism/evolution debate. Let them be stupid, blind sheep I say...

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

But that ancestor was likely a monkey by definition, I mean sure we could call it something else and argue about what to call that common ancestor until we're blue in the mouth but honestly I have no issue admitting our monkey origins.

I present proof a la Aronra, the Texas Titan of setting Creationists straight:

Again even amongst scientists the debate still goes on as to whether we evolved from apes or an ape ancestor which evolved from a monkey ancestor. The only complaint I really have when a creationist says: "You think we evolved from Monkeys, heehaw heehaw." is that they usually believe humans evolved from monkey species that are still around today like chimps and gorillas (yes I know both of those are apes, not monkeys, but as Aron points out in his video that division is kind of arbitrary).

Whether we call it monkey or ape we are still related to monkey's and apes... I find it weird that Creationists dislike hearing we evolved from these animals because, at least according to the Biblical account, they think man came from dirt and is a dirty sinner deserving of hell and that woman is made from a man's rib bone...

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

While it's true that we could have evolved from something that could be classified as a monkey what I'm trying to do is get rid of the misconception that we evolved from modern day species of ape or monkey. I swear if I hear one more person ask "If we evolved from monkeys why are monkeys still around?" my head will explode.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Question:

Why is it that humans are significantly more advanced than modern apes if we share the same ancestor? Just wondering.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Yeah one big happy family.

I wonder when the day comes when that guy will eat those words like a banana

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hadrian
anyone with any sense that isn't jaded by the retardation of religion clearly understands that there is a line of hominids from which apes, chimpanzees, gorillas and humans all descend.

Been to ATS lately? There are 3 active atheism bashing threads right now with people talking about giants being discovered and covered up, the "fact" that there are only 18,000 species of animals on the planet today, all kinds of fun stuff so...

Just saying.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Agreed. Creationists love their strawman arguments don't they? They get a sick kick out of insulting evolution with their own ignorant perceptions of it. We definitely did not evolve from any surviving primate/ape/monkey species

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by cLOUDDEAD
Question:

Why is it that humans are significantly more advanced than modern apes if we share the same ancestor? Just wondering.

Because a magical man in the sky actually made men from dirt. Then he took part of men and made women. There was a scuffle with a talking snake and one of a couple magic tress and viola!

Make sense now?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join