It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphin leaps from tank 'in escape bid'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Well theres downsides and upsides to animal enclosures.

On the plus, they are free from poaching, and other human threats (deforestation) and such, and are free to breed, which is obviously good for endangered species.

But its moments like this that makes you wonder, how are they really treated in these kind of enclosures.

Im sure, that in a place like longleat in the UK, that the animals are treated with great care and are more than happy living there, but places like these, that use the animals to entertain humans. It's just wrong.

We didn't bring these animals in to make them make money for us. We bought them in to keep them safe. But it seems wherever the animal goes, no matter what species, Humans come and ruin there lives/habitats etc in some way shape or form.

[edit on 19 10uSaturday10 20 by vanhippi]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I find the fact that they returned it to the pool absurd. If it wanted out that bad just pull the crane over to near the ocean and presto.

I agree with the whole idea above of a "swim with the dolphins" in their natural habitat. If we want to see animals in a cage we should open jails to the public. 5$ guided tours and 10$ to feed an inmate. 100$ to spend the night in a nice comfy jail cell (1 jail house meal included). We would be able to pay for the jails without tax payers money. Also perhaps take a bite out of crime. How many of the lesser criminals in there would really want to return when they are looked at like an animal in a zoo? and how many kids would be willing to do a crime if they knew they would be stuck in a "zoo" for X number of years? Perhaps it will either rehabilitate more inmates or cause them a little more stress. But either way the public will have a "zoo" to visit.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

I agree totally. I know I visited the zoo with school. Then my parent's took me to Seaworld too at a young age. Like it's something to be proud of... I see right past it now, and I remember my visit to the zoo I always sort of felt disappointed or like I was missing something. I'll give "The Cove" a watch. In these times people shouldn't be worried about hitting amusement parks, they should be taking care of their responsibilities and enjoying life.

It's just gotten ridiculous. I think the "age of innocence" is past for zoos and these sorts of things, (the statistics are public) and now it's become obvious that what they are doing does way more harm than good.

Of course if a scientist goes to school for ten years and get the PHD to learn how to "conserve" wildlife in these awfully ungainly situations, they will certainly come on the discovery channel at the drop of the hat to defend their career and sugarcoat the situation in their favor. High time for people to get off of this mentality and listen to reason, to their hearts, and end this ridiculousness.

How does the conservation argument hold up when the life expectancy and infant mortality rates in captivity are basically 10% of natural settings? I want to give that the benefit of the doubt, and I starred the post giving it ups, but at the end of the day I think it's a lot of professors and scientists with their jobs on the line giving this that hopeful sort of pluralistic, environmentalist appeal, appreciation.

Makes me wonder what the environmentalists, like PETA, think about this. They seem to go for government rulings, a true lobbyist organization, but really it seems that public education truly, could well put a boycott on a lot of things having to do with this.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by ocker

Any official sources of those facts?

If true, unsurprising. Consider we voluntarily live in captivity and literally live just over half our true life spans in miserable annoyance.

Hi Gormon91

The information is by researchers in the field
www.care2.com...

Their story correlates to the move the Cove..
It was the winner of the Audience award for best documentary at the 2009 Sundance film festival.

Great eye opener

Thanks

Ocker

[edit on 10/7/2010 by ocker] edit to fix yt code

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 10/7/2010 by ocker]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ocker

Thanks an. i will watch it in the morning.

It's an interesting fact. Dolphins are the 2nd most intelligent species on Earth and the only species capable of the intelligence of a child.

This is even more interesting. I've begun to read through the bible front to back, and like every book, I broke that patterns and read the last book after the first.

Just a bit of religion inputed:

One thing stood out to me. The part about 1/3rd the creatures of the sea dying. Apparently, the original Greek translation, translated to modern English, speaks of not creatures, but rather, "those structures (bodies) with the breathe of life living in the sea". Having read Genesis just before, God only breathes this breathe of life to Adam. It's a common wording for a soul.

If true, it seems the bible is saying there are creatures in the sea with souls. And it does not say fish, but rather, creatures. Dolphins are not fish, but rather, creatures like us. mammals.

And yea, this is the part that sounds like the BP oil spill, if you read that topic a ways back.

Food for thought.

I posted that on the last page but did not actually explain it.

[edit on 11-7-2010 by Gorman91]

[edit on 11-7-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by depth om

There havent really been a lot of reasons for beached whales, I've heard anywhere from chasing prey obviously not thinking about safety to magnetic pole or other interference that messes with their navigation. Obviously not a depressed whale that didnt have things that go their way. A comparison between a beached whale and a dolphin jumping out of a containment is also a bad comparison.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
On the idea that the dolphin was trying to commit suicide...

Has it tried to commit suicide any time after the two documented times it tried to jump out of the tank?

If not, it may refute the idea, also an examination of the dolphin's behaviour since the event may illuminate things further.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this.
It pains me when I learn about such stories.
How moronic and insensitive is the Human Race that we cannot consider the lives and feelings of other intelligent life forms on this planet?
Most of the humans alive at this time are sooooooo selfish and shortsighted, that I despair when I realise I am of the same species. Please, in the future, let us have a Law for criminal arrogance.
To me, it is WRONG that we even eat meat. The human being DOES NOT NEED MEAT!!!

Shame on humanity..... Again!!!!

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Yellow Teapot

This is not about whether people eat meat (should we insist that dolphins become vegetarian), but about whether dolphins et al should be stuck in a swimming pool for our amusement.

I think most people on this Board think dolphins should not be captured and forced to do tricks, but clearly the rest of the world think that it's perfectly OK because they go along to these events and part with their hard earned cash to be amused. In fact, according to the Born Free Foundation a bottlenose dolphin generates 1 million US dollars and there are 800 of these animals in captivity.

Dolphins in captivity

If you don't like it then do something about it. Until people stop "paying to see" dolphins will continue to suffer. Maybe the rest of the world needs to learn from the UK experience where public campaigns led to the closure of all dolphinaria.

Regards

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ocker

you do know that dolphins who want to "end it" just kill themselves, right? the case with dolphins and aquatic animals is different from lions and other land dwelling animals. read "Life of Pi" for a second take on animals in captivity. if you walked outside, and you knew you would be attacked by other animals, and have to compete for mates and food, wouldn't you rather stay inside where its warm, comfortable, ready food sources, and such?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

maybe, but that's just like us humans. There are more comfortably numb people than the individuals with a mania of realities which leads to extremely calculated yet ultimately fatalistic behaviors.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I hate seeing animals caged; especially the ones that in the wild can travel long distances. One of the cruellest examples is caging birds. It makes me sick to my stomach. I imagine heaven is coming back as a bird and hell is coming back as a bird that's trapped and caged.

Or hell could be coming back as a dolphin taken from the vastness of the ocean and put into a small tank....

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 11118

Dolphins are both 3rd density entities just like Humans, they are direct descendants of a certain faction of Atlanteans.

???

Who are these people and where do they come from?

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I hope it didnt get hurt

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by denynothing

It's starting to sound like a "Peta" thread.

I'm out...

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngelHeart
reply to post by 11118

Dolphins are both 3rd density entities just like Humans, they are direct descendants of a certain faction of Atlanteans.

???

Who are these people and where do they come from?

They are self-aware as individuated entities, thus having a third-density awareness.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   

The Cove is a MUST-SEE movie!! No wonder it tried to end itself considering what they have to go though until they reach their horrible prisons.

Dolphins CONSCIOUSLY breathe, they can STOP breathing to commit suicide...as they have in the past. The original "Flipper" killed itself by stopping to breathe. It just let itself sink to the bottom of its prison, while the trainer watched, and died.

This HAS to end!!! NOW!

[edit on 13-7-2010 by MrXYZ]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join