It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphin leaps from tank 'in escape bid'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I found this quite ..Shocking .A video has emerged of the moment an aquarium dolphin leapt out of its tank in a seemingly desperate attempt to escape captivity.

The dolphin, from the Churaumi Aquarium in Okinawa, Japan, made the dive onto the floor outside its tank during a performance, the Daily Mail reports.

Called Kuru, the dolphin is a species known as a false killer whale, which can grow to up to 6m in length.

A US tourist captured the moment on camera and the footage shows aquarium staff rushing to wrap Kuru in a mat before lifting it back into the water with a crane.

Other dolphins in the tank gather around the side where Kuru leapt out.

Dolphin activist Ric O'Barry, who was sent the footage, told the Daily Mail the case highlighted how animals suffered in captivity.

"The habitat of that false killer whale is so unnatural it leapt out in desperation."

"It wanted to end it. Why does a person jump out of a building."

Keeping dolphins in concrete tanks was cruel because it deprived them of their sensory skills and bombarded them with strange sounds, he said.

But the aquarium's dolphin manager Hideshu Teruya denied Kuru was trying to escape.

"It was playing around and jumped out by accident from the momentum," he told the newspaper.

The dolphin had suffered some minor scratches and bruises but was otherwise unharmed by the incident, he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

here is the link with a brief video attached
news.ninemsn.com.au...

The dolphin was otherwise unharmed

that statement seems to appear as a weak excuse to cover up the trauma these creatures go through.

# 53% of those dolphins who survive the violent capture die within 90 days.

# The average life span of a dolphin in the wild is 45 years; yet half of all captured dolphins die within their first two years of captivity. The survivors last an average of only 5 years in captivity.

# Every seven years, half of all dolphins in captivity die from capture shock, pneumonia, intestinal disease, ulcers, chlorine poisoning, and other stress-related illnesses. To the captive dolphin industry, these facts are accepted as routine operating expenses.

# In many tanks the water is full of chemicals as well as bacteria, causing many health problems in dolphins including blindness.

# When a baby dolphin is born in captivity, the news is usually kept secret until the calf shows signs of survival. Although marine mammals do breed in captivity, the birth rate is not nearly as successful as the one in the wild, with high infant mortality rates.

# Wild dolphins can swim 40 to 100 miles per day - in pools they go around in circles.

# Many marine parks subject their mammals to hunger so they will perform for their food. Jumping through hoops, tailwalking and playing ball are trained behaviors that do not occur in the wild.

# Confined animals who abuse themselves (banging their heads against the walls) are creating stimuli which their environment cannot supply. Dolphins in captivity tend to develop stereotypical behaviors (swimming in a repetitive circle pattern, with eyes closed and in silence) because of boredom and confinement. This is equivalent to the swaying and pacing of primates, lions, tigers and bears confined in cages.

# Dolphins are predators of fish and spend up to half of their time in the wild hunting for food. Supplying dead fish results in less exercise and lack of mental stimulation, thus causing boredom.
www.inkokomo.com...

Thoughts ?

thanks

Ocker

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   
It's much easier to believe the poor dolphin was ending his misery rather than playing around.

Good post OP.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
OR, maybe that handler there hasn't been particularly nice to the whale. Could be trying to splat her.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
If I would be a dolphin in Japan I would try to get the hell out of there too.

Anyone who watched the Dolphin Cove documentary or the South park episode knows that the Japanese think they are fish and a tasty snack.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Could of been worse:

Could of ended up as sushi

[edit on 9-7-2010 by Master Shen long]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Cage them to make money. Money is the root of all evil.

man I think many of us feel just like that creature. he knows his future is bleak and he pains himself to leap from the comfort.. the security of the water, hoping for something better when he gets out, because he knows there's something far greater and beautiful waiting for him somewhere and it's worth dying to try to reach it.

It's things like this that show us the truth of reality.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by depth om]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by depth om
Cage them to make money. Money is the root of all evil.

man I think many of us feel just like that creature. he knows his future is bleak and he pains himself to leap from the comfort.. the security of the water, hoping for something better when he gets out, because he knows there's something far greater and beautiful waiting for him somewhere and it's worth dying to try to reach it.

It's things like this that show us the truth of reality.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by depth om]

Great post
its the reality of our ignorance for the anguish of such beautiful creatures

Thanks

Ocker

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I hate hate hate seeing animals suffer for our amusement. I don't know what to say other than that. I wish there was something I could do to help. The only thing I can think of is not going to places like this at all, at least deny them of my cash, if that will make any difference at all.

Hey OP, do you know when this occured? Wasn't there a popular thread about monkeys trying to escape out of a lab a couple of days ago in china somewhere? What I'm getting at is could these be signs of an impending disaster, such as a large earthquake, or a tsunami, or both, or something else entirely?

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Hatcookie

Hi Hatcookie
I cannot find a date the incident took place, the media services only ran with this today it seems.

The shocking thing is that this was the dolphins second attempt at freedom the first attempt Kuru almost made it over the edge before sliding back into the water.

Here are some more images that have become available

Notice how curious the other dolphins are

the image showing Kuru's first attempt can be seen here
news.ninemsn.com.au...

thanks

Ocker

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
It has seen the ocean behind it and thought that maybe, just maybe, there was enough water outside it's cage in the front to free it.

To go back in after that, would be torture, the only articulation of which is seeming insanity, illogical decisions. The dolphin is not crazy though we are.

An insane environment turns you insane.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Dolphins are smart.

This one however didn't think this through.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
Dolphins are smart.

- Lee

On the contrary maybe he did!

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I'm not trying to say that this dolphin is unintelligent, but to really think that an animal has the intelligence to commit suicide knowingly is insane, I mean come on, it probably got a weird sonar signal and went to chase it thus going out the glass. You show me more dolphins jumping out of a captivity in hopes of death and I'll believe this. You know PETA will spin this to their cause.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by denynothing

A whale beaches itself for many reasons, it knows if it does it will die, and I'm sure it weighs it's choices.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Dolphins are smart.

- Lee

Not if he planned on escaping.
Unless he expected evolution to kick in once he hit the concrete.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Dolphins are smart.

- Lee

Not if he planned on escaping.
Unless he expected evolution to kick in once he hit the concrete.

- Lee

When I noticed the ocean in the background I thought that maybe it's image was the catalyst, part instinct to survive, correctly, and part personal reflection of the future, of staying in there when the ocean is right there. I don't know but I feel like this dolphin is a kindred spirit.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I am greatful to see someone is spreading the word. I resently watched the video called the cove. I was stunned at what I saw. My wife and I live in FL and after that, vowed to NEVER support seaword on any level. They pay 150,00.00 for dolphins, and make billions on them like some sort of trick dog. I grew up in the flipper era and thought how cool! yet in reality the dolphin committed suicide in the arms of her trainer. The blow hole is not an involuntaring respone. She looked up at him opened her blow hole and sank ending her life of incredable pressure to get that scene right. In Japan its beyond immagination. At seaworld the spectators are eating dolphin and whale snaks while they watch the show. Hats off to seaworld. their bottom line is not conservatiopn and education. Its how much did we make today. Just give them some more steroid and pain medications weve got another show comming up. SHAME ON YOU SEAWORLD. if there is justice in the universe I hope the executives and trainers are there swimming in circles for others injoyment.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ocker

Please tell me that pool opens up into a larger enclosure. The one in my in-laws back yard looks bigger than that.

God, how they must hate us.

Thanks Ocker for the added pics, and for brining this to our attention.

Edited to remove my mushyness, or most of it anyway.

[edit on 7/9/2010 by Hatcookie]

[edit on 7/9/2010 by Hatcookie]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by safteynet
if there is justice in the universe I hope the executives and trainers are there swimming in circles for others injoyment.

My thoughts exactly. I guess I should watch this video, (the cove it was called?) but from what I hear, I don't know if I can stomach it.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifecitizen
It's much easier to believe the poor dolphin was ending his misery rather than playing around.

Good post OP.

Prob not. Dophins do not breath on an autonomous system

In other words they can stop breathing if they forget to breath or don't want to.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join