It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal officials say Leak could be contained by Monday.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Federal officials say Leak could be contained by Monday.

www.msnbc.msn.com

Share Print Font: +-NEW ORLEANS — The federal official leading the Gulf oil spill cleanup said Friday a new containment cap and an additional ship collecting oil could effectively contain the spill in the next three days.

The work to replace a leaky containment cap on the well head with a tighter one will begin Saturday, National Incident Commander Thad Allen said Friday. At the same time, a ship connecting to a different part of the leak is expected to come online Sunday.

Oil will flow unimpeded into the Gulf during the cap switch for at least part of the weekend.

If all goes
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
latimesblogs.latimes.c om
today.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
So, these "federal officials" are saying that the oil leak could possibly be contained by monday, if everything goes "perfectly to plan". They're taking off the current cap thats over the well and putting on a tighter one this weekend. They're bringing in a ship to "suck up" more oil and gas from the water, filter it, then spray that same water back to the Gulf. Its the same ship that has never been tested in open waters.
Also, the containment cap will be removed sometime this weekend, letting all of the oil and volatile compuonds gush out at max speed. It'll just be off for long enough (day?) for them to put on the smaller cap. If something goes wrong with that cap, "they're" saying that their are more down there that can be put on in a bind.
My concern is this: if they put on a smaller cap, thats going to reduce the amount of oil/VOC being released from the well. That's great right? Not really, considering that we all know about the gas buildup thats under the seafloor!! Putting on a tigter cap will accelerate the buildup (and prevention of release) of that methane bubble. That could make the chance of a seafloor explosion much more likely. Think of it like plugging up the end of a running garden hose. The water's still going to keep flowing even after you plug it. The pressure just finds another way to relieve itself.

This is my first thread so let me know what you think.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I could not agree with you more.

Either this is *hopefully* going to end OK... which I have a dreadful feeling that It will not, or this thing is going to blow us all to hell.

I find myself reading so many different scenarios of what could possibly happen with the Gulf, but in the end all we can really do is hope that the worst does not happen.

Only time will tell

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Federal officials have also stated that Santa Clause has been spotted over Chicago. No offense to you OP ... but I am just tired of the BS these days and reading stuff with the federals saying this or that. We won't really know either way.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by Bonified Ween]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Contained, not stopped. If all goes well. Let's hope it does.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonified Ween

Believe me... I don't trust what the "federal officials" tell the general public, especially through the MSM. I'm just letting everyone know what "they're" telling us. What they want us to know.
I'm in know way saying in my opinion of this article that I believe what these people are saying will "work"... at all. In all contrary, I honestly think that every single operation that BP has tried to stop this leak, has only made it worse. Thats pretty obvious, considering the fact that its continued for almost 3 months. And no one will reveal the full extent of the disaster to the public.
There's more and more media blackout and diversoin tactics being used by the MSM everyday in regard to this situation. That alone should be disturbing enough to anyone. But for some reason, no one really seems to notice (thats not down south living it.).
I think that the fed's are just pulling out everything they can figure out to tell us to make us feel more reassured that "we're all gonna be ok."
Deep down inside, I really don't fell like that. I'm just saying, something is diffrent about this catastrophe. It's doing more damage to us then we could ever imagine.
I hope that this weekend they do get that tighter cap on the well. I hope that "drilling those relief wells does finish more soon then expected." I hope that the relief wells intercept the main well and that, that takes the pressure off of the seafloor. I hope its not bs and that for once our own government is being straight forward with its people. I hope that this time around, everything does go "perfectly as planned".
Really thats all that we can do, just hope. I'm gonna try to have some anyways.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Oh horse#.
These so called cracker jack box officials keep saying this, yet NOTHING changes.
The govt cannot be trusted under any circumstances, just like other forms of media sources I know.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by chanel

Its the same ship that has never been tested in open waters.

Is that true? It's never been tested in open waters? Are you referring to "A Whale" or to the tanker sucking up the crude from the 'cap'?

And what\s wrong with hoping? Do you folks actually want this to continue for macabre entertainment purposes?

[edit on 10-7-2010 by justadood]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by justadood

haha. Um, I thought that those were the same ship actually...

Really, you can correct me if I'm wrong. And tell me the diffrence between the two ships...

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Contained, not stopped. If all goes well. Let's hope it does.

Yes - and I think there is a huge difference between the two

top topics

join