It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White supremacist wants his swastika tattoo altered before he enters prison

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Daniel Cowart asks for tattoo alteration

The lawyer for a Bells man who faces sentencing in a plot to kill more than 100 black people, including President Barack Obama, has filed a motion asking that he be transported to the Madison County Jail for tattoo alteration before he is sent to federal prison.

Daniel Cowart, 21, pleaded guilty in March to eight federal charges including threatening to kill Obama — who was a candidate for president at the time authorities discovered the plot — and transporting firearms, ammunition and a short-barreled shotgun in interstate commerce for the purpose of committing robberies, burglaries and murders.

Cowart and Paul Schlesselman, of Helena-West Helena, Ark., were arrested in October 2008 and charged with planning a multistate robbery and killing spree, which would end in an attempt to kill Obama.

Schlesselman was sentenced to 10 years, and Cowart faces a possible 12- to 18-year sentence at a hearing scheduled for Aug. 13.

----------

Pictures of Cowart show he has at least two large tattoos — a swastika on his right shoulder and an iron cross on the left side of his chest.

----------

The government's response asks that Cowart not be granted transport, arguing that giving Cowart special permission to undergo voluntary cosmetic surgery would cause several problems for the U.S. Marshals Service.

So what do you think? Should tax dollars be used to help this guy get cosmetic surgery to cover up what he got when he was not incarcerated?

To me, he had freedom of expression which meant he could get those tattoos. Now that he has lost his freedom, he has to live with the consequences of that speech, because we aren't about to carry him around just so he can amend his previous "speech." If he had chosen to do this while he was free, fine. But the US Marshals aren't a taxi service.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
ink up. live with it ... or pay for removal YOURSELF.

why should the state or taxpayers be tasked with paying for, expending resources, time and/or efforts for the same ?

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Given that prison populations divide themselves up by race autonomously he's better off leaving the tattoo and getting in with the local white supremacist clique for reasons of relative safety.

I'd have to think that if I was about to be sent to some "pound me in the ass" prison the very first thing I'd do is get a nazi tattoo and make friends with the skin heads. If I didn't do that there is a very high probability I would end up killed by some other race based group or raped to death because of my unaffiliated and weak position.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The ink is his problem not the taxpayers!
What a chicken! Those types are proud of their ink, even in the pen. With a little luck the AB will take care of him for not wanting to display his allegiance.
Good riddance

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I think that the guy's an idiot, and a part of me does agree with the sentiment of "Well, you should have thought of that before you got the tattoo. . ."

However:

. . .has filed a motion asking that he be transported to the Madison County Jail for tattoo alteration before he is sent to federal prison.

It sounds like they would be transporting him to a facility where they already tattoo removal. It's not like they're sending him to his personal artist for an afternoon.

You can at least see why it would be a good idea to get rid of a racial tattoo before going to prison. Is it going to cause more trouble among the inmates than it is worth? Might it just be easier to let him remove it?

The state already pays for the removal of tattoos, especially controversial ones. In general, this is a good idea. We want the prisoners to be less of a problem in society when the come out, and less of a burden to the state when they are locked up. The truth is that these highly polarizing tattoos cause problems both in and out of jail. It's generally a good idea to get rid of them, even from the perspective of the tax payers.

What would his medical bills be if it gets cut or burned off of him by another inmate on the inside? The answer is, orders of magnitude greater than the cost of sending him over to this other facility for a day.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Yup, he got the tat done so now he lives with it. I have several tattoos myself, all in good taste. So many people regret their choices in tattoos.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
ink up. live with it ... or pay for removal YOURSELF.

why should the state or taxpayers be tasked with paying for, expending resources, time and/or efforts for the same ?

It's not him that worries me. It's the staff that may get between this tool and another that is going to shank him. Remove it for the safety of the staff imo.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
There are plenty of prison tattoo artists that will be more than happy to transform his tattoo into something more appropriate...it won't be as sterile or comfortable as a tattoo parlor, he might have a knee pressing his kneck to the pavement when it happens, but I am sure he can get it done.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCar
Yup, he got the tat done so now he lives with it. I have several tattoos myself, all in good taste. So many people regret their choices in tattoos.

I think he should be able to get the tats altered...one changed to a Star of David, and the other becomes a gay pride flag.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I get that point, as OnceReturned
made mention of, But why should the state or taxpayer foot the bill for such?

If anything it should be tallied to his "bill" and worked off in the klink.

Perhaps that's how it already works. (?) I dunno.

Just sayin'...

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I get that point, as OnceReturned
made mention of, But why should the state or taxpayer foot the bill for such?

Because it would cost a helluva lot less than paying the family of a fallen CO, or even a disabled one. Well not only CO's but nurses, social workers, support staff, etc.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Obviously.

BUT....

???

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Tattoos are part of his body now.; after all he made the choice to have them put on. We the taxpayers should not have to foot the bill. It is also not the job of the government to take care of someones cosmetic surgery. He should have thought about all that before he committed his crime.

As the old saying go's "If you can't do the time...don't do the crime".

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

???

I don't know how it works in the States but work is not mandatory up here. It's a privilege, gets people out of their ranges but it's not compulsory.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by intrepid]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This would be a complete waste of tax dollars and resources. If this guy was proud to wear these tattoos in public, he should be proud to wear them in a Federal Prison.

Besides, he is going to a Federal Prison, I would take that any day over a State Prison. He will be much safer in Club Fed than he would be doing State time.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
What will tattoo removal do? It cant possibly be that he thinks that nobody there already knows what hes done, hes better off asking for cosmetic surgery, if he think that his crimes will not be know, no matter what prison hes sent to.

Before he got locked up he had his agenda set by having such a tattoo anyway, he should be more worried about closing certain orifices, then tattoo removal.
He got what he paid for, would the taxpayers have paid for the tattoo to be done in the first place. No.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I follow tat lore and know some about prison inking.

My gut feeling is that he got some 'unauthorized' tats. Just like military insignia, gang tats convey many messages and accomplishments. Many of those markings have to be approved of before you get them. The one that comes most readily to mind is the SS lightning bolts. When random meatheads get unauthorized ink they could at best be told to cover em up quick, or at worst get a prison-style arse kicking or shanking.

So my money is on the fact that in county he had a run in with the AB and they said lose those tats or we do it for you. I'd also bet he's looking to only cover up the work he has to, not scrub his white pride.

I say he's on his own.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by blamethegreys]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

no way!? allowed to just "sit in their cell"? ... and contribute Nothing?/

WoW

I dunno no, nor can I say that it's any different here, but *shrugs* it damn site Should be.

How else can one possibly become a contributor to society, as opposed to being a drain on the same?

Don't worry. Lay still. I'll get it. (?)

for 1 - 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 years ?
?

:shk:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Oh yeah. Didn't you hear? These guys have rights.
And an Ombudsman if they aren't getting them.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
He will win the case, Go to jail without it, Join the brotherhood then want it back,

Waste of time and money, Worse thing is he will will the case.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join