It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists develop 'fake' genetically-engineered blood for use on the battlefield

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Scientists develop 'fake' genetically-engineered blood for use on the battlefield

www.dai lymail.co.uk

American scientists have developed 'artificial' blood that could soon be used to treat wounded soldiers in battle.
The genetically-engineered blood is created by taking cells from umbilical cords and using a machine to mimic the way bone marrow works to produce mass quantities of usable units of red blood cells.
Known as 'blood pharming' the programme was launched in 2008 by the Pentagon's experimental arm, Darpa, to create blood to treat soldiers in far-flung battlefields.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Well it look like Our fine men and women in uniform will be used as test subjects once again.

I am all for saving lives but this scares the hell out of me.

There is no telling what they will inject the US Military soldiers with.

The bad thing is once you sign up you are property of the US government until your contract expires.

www.dai lymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Something like this has been around for a long time. 10 years or so. I remember overhearing this conversation among some businessmen. "I am a broker and I don't usually give tips on stocks but invest in Synblood. Synthetic blood"...

It was a penny stock then. I told some friends casually about the conversation and after a couple of months it jumped to over a dollar. My friends made money.

So anyway...it probably has already gone through the testing phase....somewhere, on someone.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Artificial blood has been in use for a while now, but it doesn't do what human blood does. Check out this link:en.wikipedia.org...

I guess this new 'blood' may have the capability to act just like real human blood, or be a combination of a oxygen therapeutic or volume expander.

edit to add: After reading the entire article, here's the answer to my own speculations:

Blood cells produced using this method are 'functionally indistinguishable from red blood cells in healthy circulation', the company claims.

Pretty amazing stuff. This will undoubtedly be helpful in many arenas.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by space cadet]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
I am hiring some er female volunteers(Like the one in the picture above) for my experiments...

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
A soldier is most effective when dehumanized.

Artificial blood.

next artificial limbs.

finally artificial brains.

Sensationalism, I know, but you have to wonder what the battlefield will look like in 100 years. Nanomachines in theory can easily manipulate the nervous system to control things like endorphin releases and emotional suppressants. Could artificial blood be the gateway to introduce experimental nanomachines into the bloodstream? an easy way to begin to shape the battlefield of the future and produce soldiers who feel less and kill more efficiently?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Ok, this is just weird. I just (last night) watched Daybreakers; The Battle for Blood Begins and then I log on to ATS to see this story.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Could this have anything to do with the genetic engineering being accomplished at Dulce New Mexico? This could be a way to genetically enhance and institute accelerated healing and appendage regrowth. Is this not exactly where the Nazi SS left off with the development of their Uberman?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
Ok, this is just weird. I just (last night) watched Daybreakers; The Battle for Blood Begins and then I log on to ATS to see this story.

Funny you should say that, i was watching back to back True Blood last night.

*puts tinfoil hat on*

Vampire Disclosure Imminent!!

*takes tin foil hat off*

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This blood is neither fake nor genetically engineered. It's just lab grown from umbilical stem cells.

At any rate, red blood cells don't HAVE genetics.

edit: Looks like the Daily Fail did the old "look up a term on the net without actually understanding the context" routine. "Pharming" isn't exactly what's going on here, at least not in the sense that they took it to mean. But truthfully, I find it rare that a British periodical gets anything technical correct. They're actually substantially worse than US pubs in that respect. If it's not in the beeb, it's probably wrong, and even they've got a bad track record.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by Bedlam]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
sounds like
oh bollocks video won't embed TRUEBLOOD

[edit on 7/10/2010 by MrsBlonde]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Not really. The US army does treat troops with relatively good quality. I had an MRE once and was amazed at the technology in just a ration alone. If its being used, its pretty safe.

Also, medi-gel anyone? lol.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by WolfofWar
A soldier is most effective when dehumanized.

Artificial blood.

next artificial limbs.

finally artificial brains.

Sensationalism, I know, but you have to wonder what the battlefield will look like in 100 years. Nanomachines in theory can easily manipulate the nervous system to control things like endorphin releases and emotional suppressants. Could artificial blood be the gateway to introduce experimental nanomachines into the bloodstream? an easy way to begin to shape the battlefield of the future and produce soldiers who feel less and kill more efficiently?

Artificial limbs came long before artificial blood mate..

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

I 'm thinking we'll all be able to get along peacefully now that there is a realistic blood substitute

I was worried but now I feel fine , yay artificial blood !

if they ever invent an artificial soul I think we should make all Corporate execs get one

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrsBlonde

I was worried but now I feel fine , yay artificial blood !

It's not artificial, really, it's in vitro, but it's still real blood cells. They're just maturing blood precursor cells into red blood cells in a growth medium.

It's not like, say, one of those perfluorocarbon substitutes. Jehovah's Witnesses won't be able to take this either, because it's live blood.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I wonder if it has any relation to the following...

METHODS: A convenience sample of urban academic ED patients and visitors was surveyed during a visit regarding their attitudes and awareness of an emergency exception from informed consent, blood-substitute trial ongoing in the community.
p/ex]
Link

Curious nonetheless; good story...

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
i think it's a good thing

I'm assuming it's universal no types and I know from when my mother had repeated transfusions after surgery that a lot of blood in the blood supply is expired and there's the whole you don't know who you get blood from

I know they try to keep it safe but it isn't

this sounds like a real breakthrough no need for donors you get to keep your DNA and your privacy and people who need it have a safer product

I'm for it and artificially grown organs too

because New York did or is trying to pass a law that says you're an automatic organ donor if you 'die' and I have got a problem with that

I have a problem in general with humans swapping body parts with each other so to my mind anything like this is a good thing

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I and my father in law lost a bunch of money on the fore-runner of this about 5 years ago. The company was Northfield Labs, and the artificial blood was Poly-heme. It was up to about $20 bucks a share and then had some bad clinical studies, its now back in the penny stocks. This stuff has been experimented with for a while now.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by WolfofWar

Sensationalism my butt! You've hit it on the head. There was an article I remember reading in The Atlantic a few years back about the move towards robotics. Then there was the infamous mind control chip. I've seen a lot from the DoD about making an entirely computer controlled solider base.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

I agree with your post.

No more adverts begging for blood donors.

I am surprised blood wasn't first in line to be produced by the Biotech people.

I like yourself, am opposed to organ transplants, i find it to be a Frankenstein procedure that needs to be replaced ASAP.

Hopefully research will now move forward onto organ regeneration and accelerated healing of wounds.
That and the regrowth of nerve tissue.

So from my perspective this is good news.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join