It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

G20 fence law probe 'top priority': ombudsman

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

G20 fence law probe 'top priority': ombudsman

ca.news.yahoo.com

TORONTO - Ontario ombudsman Andre Marin is launching an investigation into the secret law that was passed by the Liberal government for the G20 summit.

The probe will examine the involvement of the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services in the law, which many believed allowed police to arrest people who came within five metres of the summit security fence.

The regulation, passed in secret June 2, only decreed that all streets and sidewalks inside the summit security fence were a "public work" just like courthouses — meaning police could search people trying to ent
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

[edit on 7/10/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I think that there should be no such a thing as a secret law; this to me is a contradiction in terms. Especially a law such as this which explicity affects public areas. It seems fairly obvious the law was passed specifically for the G20 summit, which specificity is also very dubious for a law. I will not stand by and see my country turned into a police state.

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
We put people into power to pass laws...

We are in charge.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidself

Secret laws? How can anyone be arrested for dissobeying a secret law ? Not to mention disagree with it and prevent the law from excisting.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

We are in charge

---------------------------------------------------

How can you say that with conviction if you know the people you put in office are passing secret laws with zero accountability?

~meathead

Edit to add( 3:58): if you were really in charge they would not need to pass laws secretly they know you would not agree with.

ETA 3:58 EST

[edit on 9-7-2010 by Mike Stivic]

[edit on 9-7-2010 by Mike Stivic]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420

We are in charge.

Not to be a dick - but uh....if you and the people are in charge. Why are they passing "secret laws" ?

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Rafe_

Exactly. How indeed? If ignorance is no excuse for disobeying a law then an intolerable catch-22 develops - how can the public expect to know a law when it is not made public? It is fascism - big brother doublethink type of thing. The only argument I could see would be defense concerns, but even in places like Groom Lake they post intimidating signs. ...and this is clearly not a defense issue.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I would have to agree with this. Otherwise we are not involved in an open, democratic society. The people should not be frightened of their govt.; it should be the other way around.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
"how can the public expect to know a law when it is not made public? It is fascism - big brother doublethink type of thing.''

This type of insidious and despicable behavior by elected official goes well beyond a state of fascism, where people are aware of the oppressive laws designed to strip away human rights. One can now see how this same government easily looked the other way when the Canadian military was handing over detainees in Afghanistan to be tortured.

www.thestar.com...

Any moron can see the ambiguity behind this "law" was done purposefully. As a result, the police state thugs and dictatorial apologists can provide the "excuse" that they weren't clear about the law. However, this does not give them an excuse to violate basic human rights, which they obviously did, and have shown no remorse towards doing so. If an alleged criminal cannot plead ignorance of a law and get away with it, why should these freedom hating goons be allowed to do so?

With the recent actions of this disreputable government, it is obvious their purpose is to strip away people's basic human rights. Politically, Canada is going down the same slimy path which has been taken by its Banana Republic neighbor to the south.

If using large sums of taxpayers dollars to violently attack political dissenters and destroy democracy are your thing, the least you can do is have the balls to come out and admit it, instead of hiding behind some draconian "secret laws", like a spineless coward. But then again, what do you expect from vermin who have to erect walls to hide behind?

[edit on 9-7-2010 by SphinxMontreal]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

We are in charge.

I laughed out loud at this. You are not in charge. If you were in charge, would "secret laws" be being passed and enforced on you? You support them?

It is silly to pretend we are 'in charge' and it seems like a copout and a way to hide from reality. "They let us 'vote' from a list of candidates that the biggest special interests in the nation approve of and then one of those people from the special interests list gets elected! We got the power!"

When "secret laws" can be passed and enforced in your country it's a pretty blatant demonstration that the people subject to those "secret laws" are not "in charge."

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
well over one billion dollars spent while we have starving unemployed?
comunities without clean water, waiting time at hospitals...

ummm....poor people eating lunch eh?....
we have a law about that, and you might get raped for breaking it

well like the x attorny general Pierre Blais said:
"The truth is no defence"

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Wouldn't that secret law be a trap?
Why not just dig a well camouflaged pit 5 meters away from the fence? Save themselves the trouble of dragging protesters across town.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidself

Yet another reason Canada is better than its arrogant neighbor, Canadians don't take no #$%@, the politicians try to take a foot and we make em get back to the centimeter!!

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I just want to point out to any that may stumble upon this thread that the story now showing as my OP is NOT the story that I originally linked to; it is related article but the issue in my original headline refrerred to the G20 SECRET law. The story headline has been changed without my knowledge or consent.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
That's ridiculous, as a Canadian I am appaled that such a secret law would have been passed in order to give the authorities more power.

I hope this investigation yields something for us Canadians, although I doubt it.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   

We are in charge.

This is fundementally true, and cannot be passed up as wrong.

We are to blame for our world in the current state it's in, we the people.

We put them into power, and we have the right, the means AND the responsibility to remove them when they begin pushing their own agenda as opposed to that of the people.

Don't be so dumb to think that you cannot change a thing.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Just another example of the people who are given power, using it to stifle the people who voted them in.
In reality , the leaders of the worlds governments have less right but more access to saftey and security. They will use thier power to insulate themselves from the public, the REAL people at all costs because if the public get to close to the truth of power, they will rebel. Its that simple. If you dont like the laws they pass, you have to take thier power from them, and give it to somebody else, and KEEP giving it and taking it, until someone takes the power and uses it correctly , and firmly in line with the wishes of the people.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I have to agree with this. The G20 tableaux (so quickly forgotten...) is such a perfect model of the state of affairs. The fence... well. The fence.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   

No really, they are not law makers. In fact they are simply there to uphold constitution and rights of people, and akin to managers of our joint communal property. Any legistlation they pass is not law. In fact, it can be challenged in a court of law. They are not above the law, our rights and constitution.

What was done at the G20 is not legal, no matter what they signed. It violates our justice system.

top topics

join