It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant Snapping Reptile found in UK!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
uk.news.yahoo.com...

Just shows you whats living in a reservoir near you!

Steve Bellion, 23, was angling for carp when he hooked the 57lb (25kg) reptile at Earlswood Reservoir, near Birmingham.

He eventually hauled the 2ft-long creature on to the bank, and it was identified as an 80-year-old alligator snapping turtle, normally found in the eastern corner of the US

Apparently tales of a mythical creature have been told around this area for at least a decade. Interesting that it hid for so long, I wonder what else is lurking deep down!

Sorry if you were hoping for a real giant lizard, but this is still quite impressive.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
This is so awesome. Now all the kids will want to play with it and see it's amazing snapping jaws of power!

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Green

Sorry if you were hoping for a real giant lizard, but this is still quite impressive.

I thought David Icke was reporting that the Queen had returned home.

But your story was much more interesting. I once caught an alligator snapping turtle on my fishing line. It was the scariest looking creature I have seen.

In La. the guys go into the swamp and hunt turtle with their bare feet. By feeling for the direction of the ridges on the back of alligator snappers they know which end to reach down and pick them up.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea

I once caught an alligator snapping turtle on my fishing line. It was the scariest looking creature I have seen.

Until today Id never heard of them, it does look pretty scary though, its jaws especially. This ones grown so big due to no predators. 2 foot long and 25kg !!

"If it grew any larger it would have been a danger to shipping."

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea

Originally posted by Mr Green

lol thats funny

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I've grown up with these things and have caught and seen many.

To a brit though I'm sure it is a terrifying creature. It will take your hand from you let's put it that way. They have quite a reach with that "elastic" neck of theirs. Quite the force to be reckoned with.

I wonder how it got all the way to the UK...

[edit on 9-7-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

These turtles were popular as pets for kids a years back (teenage mutant ninja turtles ) and of course they had a habit of out growing their tanks you could buy baby snappers for a couple of quid.I live not too far from there and in a local lake I've seen red eared terrapins which were also popular and cheap.We have no native turtles in this country though European pond turtles may have lived here in warmer periods.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
I've grown up with these things and have caught and seen many.

To a brit though I'm sure it is a terrifying creature. It will take your hand from you let's put it that way. They have quite a reach with that "elastic" neck of theirs. Quite the force to be reckoned with.

I wonder how it got all the way to the UK...

[edit on 9-7-2010 by DaMod]

It most probably was a pet that got too big.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/513a5d7ee394.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
S&F!!! I love these stories! Its so cool to see creatures like this because i think it really gives people a good idea of what type of creatures ruled the world a couple million years ago. Just imgaine creatures who look like that but are 10 times bigger!! craziness!!!

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggyproductions05
S&F!!! I love these stories! Its so cool to see creatures like this because i think it really gives people a good idea of what type of creatures ruled the world a couple million years ago. Just imgaine creatures who look like that but are 10 times bigger!! craziness!!!

I know!! I think it helps expand our horizons, open up our minds to the unexpected, because your right creatures did walk the earth just like that reptile in the photo BUT 10 times bigger. (apparently the one in the photo had just caught a duck outright with no effort)

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Looks like they caught the Queen of England in her shape shifting form...

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Yes, it is still impressive. I've long heard stories of alligators being flushed down the toilet, growing in the sewers and, if I recall correctly, mutating from the various chemicals. That is what I imagined when I read the title of this thread, though I'm not too disappointed...

Eighty years old!

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bonified Ween
Looks like they caught the Queen of England in her shape shifting form...

Well the reptile was a female, which is a cause for concern, but I cant see there being a male in the reservoir too. It is possible though when this was bought as a pet, it was bought in a pair maybe.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
uk.news.yahoo.com...

Seems they are turning up ( the reps that is) in other unusual places....breaking free from various circus shows it seems !!

Odd two should break free from different shows within 10 days of each other.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
The title to this thread should read

"An angler was left with a nasty surprise when he caught a giant turtle in a Midlands reservoir. Skip related content"

The same as in the link but if your after fame then you could at least say it chopped someones head off.

top topics

join