It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything's Amazing & Nobody's Happy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

In this day in age, we’ve got GPS systems that help us find our way, cell phones that are practically mini-computers, cameras that instantly capture important moments in our lives, computers that connect us with people around the world, advanced video game systems, and the list goes on and on.

When I stop to think about all of the advances in technology I have witnessed in my lifetime, I can’t help but laugh when I view the video below. Comedian Louis CK appears on the Conan O’Brien show and talks about how “Everything’s Amazing, and Nobody’s Happy.”

Funny stuff, isn’t it? The problem with all of these advances in technology is that we almost expect great stuff all the time and if we don’t get it, we’re disappointed and complain. Other times, we’re surrounded by amazing things, but we don’t stop to appreciate them (e.g., the concept of flying and airplanes).

The next time you sigh because you get a dropped call on your cell phone, or you’re frustrated because there’s another Gmail outage, or (fill in the blank here), stop, take a deep breath, and be thankful that such technology even exists! - cybernetnews.com...

I remember seeing this video a while back and thought it was brilliant. It highlights one of the weaker facets of the human psyche - that is the inability to appreciate the amazing world we have built around us.

I'm sure this isn't a problem for people of a certain generation, (my mum has her mind blown every time I show her a YouTube video), who know what it was like before this dawn of technology...

“We can only appreciate the miracle of a sunrise if we have waited in the darkness”

And so people of a certain age (who grew up in this 'darkness' ) will appreciate just how lucky they/we are to have all of this technology. But what of those people (like myself) who grew up with this technology?

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I am always taking things for granted. When you grow up with these things they become second nature - like breathing or walking - eventually they become part of the routine.

However, when this routine is changed in the slightest way (a phone taking two seconds longer than it should to send a message or a laptop freezing for a moment) my whole life falls apart. Obviously I am exaggerating (slightly
) but emotional responses like this do beg certain questions...

Are we too dependant on technology?
Do we expect too much from technology?
Are we looking to the wrong things (technology) to make us happy?
Have our technological advancements exceeded our emotional advancement?
Do we take it all for granted?

I'll leave you with the sobering words of one of histories greatest philosophers; Grandpa Simpson...

"I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with, isn't it and what's it seems weird and scary. It'll happen to yoooouuu."

[edit on 9/7/10 by LiveForever8]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Are we too dependant on technology?
Do we expect too much from technology?
Are we looking to the wrong things (technology) to make us happy?
Have our technological advancements exceeded our emotional advancement?
Do we take it all for granted?

yes to all of the above. though i do appreciate the technology we have, i am somewhat disappointed that there isn't "more" out there. whatever more means i do not know, but it seems we should have even more cool gadgets.

but maybe that is a good thing, as it gives more perspective to the topic.

thanks.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Technology has created iZombies. Here is an example. Take your average 12-14 year old and host a party. You will see them all in the same room texting each other. What is that about? With the advent of twitter, people will literally tweet that are having a conversation with someone which means they are ignoring the interaction that should be taking place at that moment.

Farmville is humanity which is why so many people resonated with it. People are the livestock of the global elite who "farm" consumer goods that fill the retail troughs where consumers feed.

Technology would be only beneficial if it pushed humanity forward versus enslaving us through contracts, bills and umbilical power cords.

I for one have seen nothing that surpasses the phenomenon we have seen in the pyramid builder ages. The Mayans built a temple where a shadow completes the snake decor on the solstice. The same structure has acoustics that cannot be replicated today. The Egyptians made cases out of stones that cannot be replicated today. Again, the Mayans understood the order of nature more so than us. The Chinese cataloged every element on the planet and how it impacts man. The Indians understand every subtle energy system in the body. These are just a few examples.

The only accomplishment of this iteration of humanity that is noteworthy is the ability to kill each other and create miserable living conditions. That has been truly remarkable.

I for one believe technology has forced polarity and seperation in this world.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by venetianguy

To be honest I think that a lull in advancements could be a good thing. Things have advanced so fast over the last thirty years that I believe we have become saturated by it - a step back could help us appreciate what we already have.

But from what I have seen recently thing's look to be getting even more 'Star Trek'...

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

Originally posted by zroth

Technology has created iZombies.

With the advent of twitter, people will literally tweet that are having a conversation with someone which means they are ignoring the interaction that should be taking place at that moment.

Farmville is humanity which is why so many people resonated with it. People are the livestock of the global elite who "farm" consumer goods that fill the retail troughs where consumers feed.

I agree that technology has a lot to answer for in that regard, however, there is always a flip side. The advancements in communications have been phenomenal, just take how we are conversing via the internet right now as an example.

I find it hard to blame technology though. I think the blame must rest squarely at our feet. This is why I used the question 'Have our technological advancements exceeded our emotional advancement?' because I think that we have evolved beyond our emotional capabilities.

Just take nuclear weapons for instance. The idea that some of the world leaders have access to these weapons is laughable. We created these deadly weapons of mass destruction and now we have no idea what to do with them. As J. Robert Oppenheimer said after creating the Atomic Bomb - "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

Originally posted by zroth

I for one have seen nothing that surpasses the phenomenon we have seen in the pyramid builder ages. The Mayans built a temple where a shadow completes the snake decor on the solstice. The same structure has acoustics that cannot be replicated today. The Egyptians made cases out of stones that cannot be replicated today. Again, the Mayans understood the order of nature more so than us. The Chinese cataloged every element on the planet and how it impacts man. The Indians understand every subtle energy system in the body. These are just a few examples.

I agree. I think we have been blinded by technology. If it doesn't have batteries or electrical cables then people don't seem interested. There are many more interesting technologies we could be discovering other than electronic can openers.

top topics

join