It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Implantable 'eye telescope' that magnifies vision approved for use in patients in US (Cyborgs here

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   

A miniature telescope that is implanted in the eye to solve sight problems has been approved for use in the US.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/843278da9471.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/aa28eee9020e.jpg[/atsimg]
VisionCare's implantable miniature telescope balanced on a fingertip, and attached to a patient's eye

The new device is for people with an irreversible, advanced form of macular degeneration in which a blind spot develops in the central vision of both eyes. The telescope replaces the eye’s nature lens and can provide an image that is magnified by almost three times. The device then magnifies and projects the images onto a healthy portion of the retina. It can only be used in one eye because the other is needed for peripheral vision.

The firm behind the telescope claims that it will help patients suffering from end-stage age-related macular degeneration (AMD), a disease which is the leading cause of vision loss in the US.

The firm behind the telescope, VisionCare, must now carry out two further studies, following up existing patients and beginning a study of 770 new patients. Each telescope will cost $15,000.

Source: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Amazing and great news for many. Including my parents. Probably me too at the rate I am going. Is this another step on the slippery slope? I think it is great that we have the ability to come up with this stuff. I can only imagine when a real, now-a-day, 6,000,000 Dollar Man is a real thing (of course, the cost will be more than the 1970's 6 million) Makes me wonder what type of world our future holds medically and socially......But, it does make me think of this also:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/02efefedfe70.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I'm thinking about how light my sniper rifle will be without the need for optics. You can bet some military applications will be found and willing participants in military tests are sure to follow.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
What a wonderful invention, though unfortunately it comes with a hefty price tag that many blind persons on a disability pension will not be able to afford. I understand the cost, but here we are again with another "cure" if you will, that will only be available to those who can afford it. I know there are charities that can help some, but just not enough. How about governments setting aside a tiny portion of the monies spent on wars, for cases such as this? If it takes a one world government to eliminate all war on this tiny planet, I'm all for it, then all former war and defense budgets could be used for medical purposes and inventions that will provide everyone with free energy, thus eliminating our dependency on life killing fossil fuels.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I agree with both of you. The military has got to be all over this-and if they aren't, they will be soon.

And, as far as the cost, yes-high but, a start to something better does have a price. Now, currently-in the US, this sounds good/do able but when NobamaCare kicks in-forget about it.

Have a good weekend.

new topics

top topics

join