It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Production shifting back to the US?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
This is something I've been waiting for with my fingers crossed, for some time. With labor costs stagnating in the States and rising in China, it becomes economical to manufacture things here once again (thank God).

Yahoo link

In an about-face mocked on "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart," Wham-O, the company that created the Hula-Hoop and Slip 'n Slide, decided to bring half of its Frisbee production and some production of its other products back to the U.S.

At the other end of the scale, some in research-intensive sectors such as pharmaceutical, biotech and other life sciences companies are also reconsidering China for a range of reasons, including costs and incentives being offered in other countries.

"Life sciences companies have shifted some production back to the U.S. from China. In some cases, the U.S. was becoming cheaper," said Sean Correll, director of consulting services for Burlington, Mass.-based Emptoris.

That may soon become true for publishers, too. Printing a 9-by-9-inch, 334-page hardcover book in China costs about 44 to 45 cents now, with another 3 cents for shipping, says Goodwin. The same book costs 65 to 68 cents to make in the U.S.

"If costs go up by half, it's about the same price as in the U.S. And you don't have 30 days on the water in shipping," he says.

Of course we'll still compete with the likes of Mexico, but maybe we'll start to see the end of the exodus of manufacturing from the United States.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Our company is bringing back much of the work from China and sending it to Detroit companies that will work for anybody now that the automakers have screwed them. We are also bringing some engineering back from India and creating 300 jobs here because of the many problems there

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
i read an article on yahoo news last nite that was titled "Companies brace for end of cheap made-in-China era"

news.yahoo.com...

I was hoping it would lead to more US made goods. I'm sick of all that cheap plastic lead tainted crap.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
Our company is bringing back much of the work from China and sending it to Detroit companies that will work for anybody now that the automakers have screwed them. We are also bringing some engineering back from India and creating 300 jobs here because of the many problems there

Wow! Thanks for supporting info straight from the source!

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by toolstarr
i read an article on yahoo news last nite that was titled "Companies brace for end of cheap made-in-China era"

news.yahoo.com...

I was hoping it would lead to more US made goods. I'm sick of all that cheap plastic lead tainted crap.

Your not the only one thats sick of the cheap plastic crap tainted with just about every toxic chemical for our children to play with. That is all I hear when this stuff is mentioned. The people don't want it. The only ones that do are the greedy scum sucking business boards on wall street.They could care less about us all they care about is their bottom line so they can get their multi-million dollar bonus each year.

[edit on 7/9/2010 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
thought you were talking about the drug market.

Yep, Chinese companies are coming to America and setting up shop.

the largest-ever Chinese-built factory in the U.S., a $1 billion plant by Tianjin Pipe Group to manufacture seamless pipe for oil drilling. If everything proceeds as planned -- the company received its air-quality permit on April 14 and hopes to break ground by fall -- Tianjin Pipe expects to employ 600 Texans by 2012 and to provide an estimated $2.7 billion to the local economy over the next decade.

Chinese companies see America as more than a manufacturing center. So far this year they have announced plans to build a wind-energy turbine plant and wind farm in Nevada that will create 1,000 American jobs; purchased the 400-employee Los Angeles Marriott Downtown out of foreclosure; and acquired a shuttered shopping center in Milwaukee, with plans to turn it into a mega-mall for 200 Chinese retailers. In some cases Chinese companies are resuscitating American outfits that had been left for dead. About 70 miles west of Spartanburg, near the Georgia border, past signs reading "24-hour fried chicken," another Chinese company is hiring engineers -- metallurgical and mechanical, some from nearby Clemson University. In June 2009, Top-Eastern Group, a tool manufacturer based in China's coastal city of Dalian, acquired a factory here along with three other facilities from Kennametal, one of America's largest machine-tool makers, after the U.S. company, based in Latrobe, Pa., reported a $137 million loss (citing a slowdown in industrial activity) in the quarter before the sale.

money.cnn.com...

Who says are daddy doesn't care about us?

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Our CEO got a 10 mii bonus last year mine was just over 8k$ and now they are bringing 300 engineering jobs into this empty warehouse I'm sitting in right now. We'll take whatever we can get. Our local techonoligy centers will employ nearly 6000 people in a town of 20k. Not too bad if I must say

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Let's all hope so. A report came out today that Canada, with 1/10th the population, created more jobs last month than the U.S. economy created at home. That is just plain sad.

new topics

top topics

join