It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long before Global Warming kills us all?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Lets see

Homo sapien has been around for millions of years;
Survived through ice ages
Survived heat waves
Meteor strikes
Global changing volcanic eruptions
Hurricanes
Earthquakes
Even when our population was reduced to a few thousand approx 74,000 years ago, we managed to survive.

So enough with the GW doom and gloom
The AGW folks have been quiet because their politicized faux science has been disproven and put through the meat grinder.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SlasherOfVeils

Ah, but back then there weren't 6,700,000,000 of us all wanting an SUV, 3 hot dinners a day, cool beer, and 24 hour TV and Internet

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Some rather silly people kept thinking that global warming meant everywhere on the earth would get warmer every year.

The premise of current AGW propaganda is that industrial CO2 emissions are causing the planetary atmosphere to retain more heat than it loses. If this is the case, then it would be ludicrous to try and explain that this heat retention would result in colder overall temperatures.

Oh, wait, that's what we're being told! Maybe it's not so ludicrous after all...

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

True, but in 500 years, that could be space ships and Holographic projectors instead----- or we could be busy reinventing the wheel and learning how to smelt metal again lol.

Wasn't it Einstein who said, "I don't know what technology we will fight WW3 with, but WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones"

Our species is a remarkably resilient one, due to our capacity to think. Unless our planet gets knocked off track and is sent spiraling closer to the sun I think we'll survive.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
with or withotu planet x, our ice will be melted by2012

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

You may have missed this, or chose to ignore it, but the guys providing this data were exposes as having basically made everything up as a way of scaring folks and getting grant money for saving the day. Kind of like that syndrome where fat chicks poison their own kids to make people feel sorry for them.
As a matter of fact, the earth has been cooling since 98, hence the switch from global warming to "climate change." That way, no matter what happens they can say "Dad gummit, it's raining. Must be that damn climate change again." Co2 is produced naturally by living organisms and other elements of nature. Oxygen producing plant life thrive on co2, and if there weren't sufficient co2 in the atmosphere, we'd have a really serious problem. So quit being so afraid of death, and rest assured, when you do die, it won't be because of the fact that I motor around in a mustang gt with a big honkin' V8 instead of a golf cart, or prius as you call them. Live your life, because we may get smashed by a comet tommorrow, or perhaps blown up by the russians because we have a pansy in the white house. In fact, toss out that crappy "inconvenient truth" by the sex poodle out of your video collection and get yourself a copy of red dawn. That's a much more likely way in which life as we know it may end. But probably, you'll just die of a heart attack or cancer, or get hit by a bus. So relax.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
very few of us survived if any, and we were brought back to our basicis

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
As of late, it seems the GW crowd has been quiet. Not much news about our impending doom. I am curious and hope one of our esteemed scientists who know about all things Global and warm can tell us how long it will be before our earth burns up into a puff of ash. Or at least when the effects will start to affect our ability to survive. Are we talking months, years, decades, or more here? Inquiring minds want to know.

Taking the non-strawman, it depends on many things.

1. Our actions
2. Other relevant variables

Some newer projections which try to fully account for feedbacks are showing a likely 4-5'C for current emissions paths (highest end previously expected) by around 2060-2080

At 4xC02, most projections are showing best of 6'C warming (between 4-9'C). However, the 4'C is as likely as the 9'C. And with around 5% probability of ranging up to 14'C.

"You've got to ask your self one question. 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya?"

At around 7'C, a recent paper shows we (as mammals) might have real issues with heat dissipation in many areas of the earth. But places like Pakistan are already hitting 54'C for a few days now and again - these extremes will become more likely and prolonged soon enough (and devastating with increasing humidity).

Of course, we'll have to try real hard to reach the 1000ppm level from our emissions. We're doing well thus far. Congrats to all.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by melatonin]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

and going back to ice cores from both poles, there is evidence that CO2 levels have been much higher in the past, yet both people, plants and animals survived just fine.

More CO2 = more plants = more oxygen being produced. And most of thoser projections have been proven wrong; we simply do not have the capacity nor knowledge to make accurate predictions of how things will look in 60-80 years, there are simply too many unknown variables, not to mention what things may/will/might change in that time period. Volcanic events especially.

Also, while on the subject of volcanic events, many of these produce methane, sulfoids, and other airborne particles that are far, far more dangerous greenhouse gases and compounds, yet cause global cooling due to blocking out sunlight.

Its such an egotistical thought to think that human technology and emissions, much less the air we exhale is causing global climate shifting. Hell we "break records" based on information in the past 100 years. That isn't even a percent of a percent of the 4,500,000,000 or so years this planet has been around. Hell it isn't even a drop in a bucket of the 360,000,000 or so years that we know complex life has been around, or even the 4,000,000 or so years that we know hominids have walked the earth.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

It's about 15 million years since we've seen CO2 levels this high. Around that time of 400ppm CO2 levels (Miocene), temperatures were somewhere between 3-6'C higher than now. Sea levels were 25-40m higher. There were no icecaps at the poles. Indeed, they only developed as CO2 levels fell.

That is the most recent comparable period. CO2 levels were only around 400ppm. Given, it will take sustained higher temperatures to rid us of the icecaps.

ABE: and for the 'we're only puny humans argument', do remember that the earth once had little oxygen until even punier microbes began photosynthesis.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It doesn't really matter anyway. Its a problem far bigger than us humans can begin to start reversing. We cant even join together to clean up an oil spill.

Little hope in us reversing the effects of clime change. The damage is done and will only continue. China, India and Brazil are all developing now, with a thirst for energy and coal plants.

There is no hope, No one wants a change to their comfortable lifestyles, I know I dont and neither will the emerging middle classes in the countries mentioned above.

It does surprise me that so many people deny the impact of man on the climate. Not like we havn't been pumping crap into the sky for the past 150 years, not to mention burning down rainforests and creating a whole in the ozone layer.

I believe our actions have had an effect on the climate, to deny it is willful delusion IMO

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
dp

[edit on 9-7-2010 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

Interesting read for you, especially the sources.

www.co2science.org...

Et. al., short edition:

CO2 rise doesn't precede rising ambient temperatures, and actually lags behind playing catchup by 800-1500 years, especially during periods of deglaciation.

in summary:

CO2 rising, then temp rising, false.

Temp rising, THEN co2 following suit, is how it works.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by SlasherOfVeils]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
It does surprise me that so many people deny the impact of man on the climate. Not like we havn't been pumping crap into the sky for the past 150 years, not to mention burning down rainforests and creating a whole in the ozone layer.

I believe our actions have had an effect on the climate, to deny it is willful delusion IMO

Most will not deny an impact. The questionable part is how big is our impact in the scheme of things.

To think that some cars and coal have more impact then things wildly not in our control such as the sun's energetic output, volcanic and geothermal events, et cetera, is simply egotistical.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

lol, no CO2 induces warming. It is a greenhouse gas. Warming also causes release of CO2 from the oceans (as solubility decreases with higher temperatures).

CO2 is both feedback and forcing. You're just buying old denier fodder. CO2 is a greenhouse gas, and this has been established for over 100 years.

No-one suggests that CO2 magically causes deglaciations. It is triggered by external forces (orbital), warming occurs, GHGs are released as a feedback, they cause further warming.

ABE: if you want an outline of the influence of CO2 in climate, try Richard Alley's presentation from last year at the AGU:

www.agu.org...

He covers this old-skool denier's meme.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
I'd imagine we'd be severely culled by a deadly fungus or bacteria that's been re-awoken by climate change before we fry under the sun.

I'm guessing it's going to be the mosquitoes. It's wetter and cooler here in Saskatchewan this year, and those little blood suckers are as big as bats, and very aggressive.

We used to have a ton of frogs, and dragonflies. Not this year, I think the mosquitoes ate them. We're next

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I can see your point. it is egotistical to think we have had an impact, but then just look around you and see what effect you have on your immediate surroundings

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I am so sick of this "It's nieve to think that humans can effect the planet" garbage.

Really?

Then I guess the gulf oil spill must be a dream I had.

Chernobyl must have been an SNL skit.

Those mountain tops I see chopped off in Appalachia must be a magic trick.

Etc. etc. etc.

Human technology has gotten to the point were we can do grave things that upset the balance of the environment.

Hell just ask any fisherman here who has been seeing squat due to over fishing or pollution.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amagnon
For most people - it takes less than 100 years.

Yeah, no kidding - Good observation.

Why blame global warming* when old age will get you first.

*fake

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Hopefully everyone should know by now that it was a great hoax in order to enforce carbon tax on the world. Why is AL Gore a front runner for this cause? He is a part of a company Silver Spring Networks that is developing software that would monitor carbon output from companies and then tax them.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join