It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long before Global Warming kills us all?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
As of late, it seems the GW crowd has been quiet. Not much news about our impending doom. I am curious and hope one of our esteemed scientists who know about all things Global and warm can tell us how long it will be before our earth burns up into a puff of ash. Or at least when the effects will start to affect our ability to survive. Are we talking months, years, decades, or more here? Inquiring minds want to know.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I'd imagine we'd be severely culled by a deadly fungus or bacteria that's been re-awoken by climate change before we fry under the sun.

IRM

[edit on 9/7/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
You should take a look in the HOAX section

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I think recently the world has been distracted with other things and it’s taken a bit of a back seat, its still there and still very important to those who believe in GW. Things like the world cup, BP oil spill and so on are a distraction and it means GW is not high in the media agenda.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I think we will start to see the real effects of climate change within the next 10 - 20 years, more freakish weather, more draughts more floods, increasing food prices and more Wars for resources like water.

Im no scientist, but do believe in man made global warming. I dont believe in the solutions being offered

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Before they get Al Gore to stand up and tell us that, perhaps our esteemed scientists who know about all things Global and warm can actually find proof that what we are experiencing is not the natural cycle of weather patterns.

Nowadays more and more scientists are saying GW is political crap not a global catastrophe. (That ought to get the ball rolling for your thread ;-)

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Um, my best, most educated guess is about 37.4 million years - give or take a few millenia. And that is only because the sun will be expanding by that time.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Well since I happen to listen to ALL THE WORLDS LEADING CLIMATOLOGISTS you can expect a gradual degredation of how we live on this planet.

This common sense video from a simple science teacher will explain to even the hardened skeptic about how important this issue is.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by AllexxisF1]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

The changes will be small and subtle so that it won;t really be obvious anything is happening until you realise that a typical week of fairly warm sunny weather in 2069 is the same as what folk back in 2010 were calling a record breaking heatwave ......

Of course, it does depend on how much carbon emission derived global warming happens, how much other AGW happens and whether or not any natural events occur - like, say, a super volcanic eruption - to counter the warming.

Then, of course, whilst some places will warm a lot, some may not warm much and - according to some theories - if the NAD switches off then North Atlantic regions might even end up cooling!

The last IPCC report gives a good summary of what may happen given various scenarios - not a lot has changed in terms of thinking since then, although there are signs that folk are coming to accept it's not just carbon emission derived global warming and that we're causing climate change through other means too (the IPCC are still very much carbonistas!
)

Meanwhile, saw this today:

Heatwaves to be common place in US by 2039

Don't say you haven't been warmed

btw, looks like those who at the beginning of this year were saying 2010 could be the warmest on record are likely to be close if not spot on ....

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Maybe we won't even notice it untill it is too late
remember the frog in cold water, when you heat up the water the frog stays put, but when you throw the frog into hot water, of that same temperature as the heated water where the frog stays put, it will jump out immediatlly.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Mwaaah...

Lucky for me and you, i know and you know your jesting

Classic though.... Watch the replys flood in like a flood due to polar caps melting due to floods or something crap!!!

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
With all the recent revelations about the untruths being told to us by the GW crowd....I would love to see what data or quote some studies that actually show that there is global warming...

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Well as long as Al Gore doesn't buy another private jet/yacht/limo/spacecraft, we should be OK for another few hundred years.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
For most people - it takes less than 100 years.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Right Wing media is literally setting the world on fire.

I'm out, too much ignorance makes my indigestion act up.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Kozmo took my answer.

Until then, I predict we will have warm periods lasting close to 6 months each, followed by cold periods lasting approximately the same length. I also predict we will have periods of hysteria followed by periods of less hysteria.

Personally, I believe that AGW is caused by Al Gore. It seems to get warmer every time he starts talking about carbon credits.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
when al gore moves out of his shore front property
( not because his ex takes him to the cleaners)
because the water is up to the front door I'll take notice...
till then the medieval warming period that AG left out of his hokey stick graph where the temps were much higher then they are today and the warming experienced by the whole solar system are the evidence I'm forming my opinion from.

PS how come like in the linked video above its
GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE
what happened to global warming?

edit to add PS
that "science teacher missed the point that global climate CHANGE might include global cooling so right there his whole argument is BUNK

[edit on 9-7-2010 by Danbones]

[edit on 9-7-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

PS how come like in the linked video above its
GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGE
what happened to global warming?

Some rather silly people kept thinking that global warming meant everywhere on the earth would get warmer every year. This caused them much confusion since sometime it was cold in winter. And they had many sleepless nights as a result. So the kindly tabloid media decided to stop referring to global warming and call it climate change - which is of course what scientists had been calling it all along

(actually, climate change refers to all/b] changes in weather patterns, temperature, rainfall, winds etc whereas global warming obviously only refers to temperature - so climate change is a more accurate and more encompassing term)

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
So it appears it still exists. At least with some folks. There is no doubt that it's been hot. being summer time, I kind of expected that. But it's been "record breaking" hot in some places. So what do we do? Playing devils advocate, how do we fix global warming? the industrial revolution is infantile as far as our planet is concerned. So if we destroyed our planet by using too much carbon emissions, it should be a simple thing to stop it and reverse the affects. Why we could have it back to normal temps in less than 50 years right? Or is there more to this than just stopping out carbon output?

I still believe that we have historical periods of warm trends and cool trends. I have history on my side when I say that too. We have evidence of an Ice age. Long before any factories or cars were here. We have evidence of other planets in the solar system going through the same warming period we are right now. The one common factor seems to be the big orange ball. That thing that determines if it will be hot or cool. And my opinion has nothing to do with Fox news or any right wing agenda. It has everything to do with common sense.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

I want uncivilization to collapse
but I had hoped the christians were right ....
it would becaused by that demon ELVIS and his devil music...
that stuff was HOT man and COOL too!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join