It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you kill an alien zombie? [Edit to add : This title involves a metaphor explained in the OP]

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Personally, I think this website would go along very well with my idea of a welcome center (link in my signature) of coarse my idea hasn't generated much interest. I think that the majority of UFO believers, believe because they want to. It is by faith they chose to believe and they do not want to chance being disproved. People fear being proven wrong and loosing faith. I have very little knowledge of the sitings that have been proven to be hoaxes but I am willing to help with the research if anyone wants to get this started.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Domains are cheap, usually only around $10/year. I can store the web docs on my friend's server- although I'm not sure how many pics he'd let me store on it (suppose I could use other storage arenas for the pics).

I only know basic html, but could have a friend write the php or whatever language would work best for such an endeavor. Or we could recruit a programmer here on ats.

You have all the cool ideas IRM.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by IsaacKoi
What more can be done?

The only thing I see working is stricter and heavier moderation in the Aliens/UFO's forum. I assume the mods here are volunteers and are not paid, so it's understandable that when a photo is reposted for the 100th time it may go unnoticed for awhile. You could ask to become a mod and monitor the forum 24/7 and lock every rerun thread or move every hoax thread to the hoax forum.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by freelance_zenarchist

The only problem I see with moving new threads for old info to the trash is that the search feature isn't as exact as it could be. I know I've posted at least one news article that wasn't news to ATS
simply because a search of the exact title turned up no results.

There are people (I know this is going to be hard to believe but its true) who are JUST NOW coming into the place where they want to know if UFOs are real. They might never have seen the photos we all saw a long time ago.

If there were a way to make searching return better results I'd have no problem burying new requests for old photos.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

I don't think repeat threads are deleted here, I think they get locked and just sink to the bottom of the forum. I agree with you that the search tool here is broken and needs to be improved. It's funny how it says it's powered by Google but doesn't produce the same results as if you were to go to Google.com and search for a phrase from the abovetopsecret.com domain. You'll get accurate results from using google.com but many results will be missing using the search box here.

This is part of the problem that can be fixed, but there's no way to force a person to use the search option or to read through stickied threads of famous UFO photos. People will always be re-posting old info because they are new to the subject or they just simply don't care and make knee jerk posts.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by freelance_zenarchist]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

But would such a website need, say, the endorsement of some leading UFO researchers/groups to be meaningful?

Or would it be enough that, like the UFO Watchdog website, it would simply gain respect with the passage of time?

If there were two nails to hit, I think you struck them both Isaac.

The fact that we see so many "official disclosure threads" seems to support the idea that we as humans always look for a "definitive word" from "officials" or "experts."

Certainly joining forces with reputable groups like NARCAP, MUFON, UFO Magazine, etc would be a nice push-start. However, websites also gain respect with the passage of time and how the material is presented.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Is it possible - to e the e for it

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76

Domains are cheap, usually only around $10/year. I can store the web docs on my friend's server- although I'm not sure how many pics he'd let me store on it (suppose I could use other storage arenas for the pics).

I only know basic html, but could have a friend write the php or whatever language would work best for such an endeavor. Or we could recruit a programmer here on ats.

You have all the cool ideas IRM.

We'll talk Scramjet! I also design CSS web interfaces and know a little flash/php integration but I'm clueless with SQL having only dealt with it once before. The search engine would have to be very robust I'd imagine! We can pull it off if we could get a few more people on board with the skills we require...

IRM

[edit on 10/7/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by freelance_zenarchist
The only thing I see working is stricter and heavier moderation in the Aliens/UFO's forum.

I don't think a failure to search for previous posts on ATS is one the main problems (although it can sometimes be a bit frustrating). Members that fail to do a search will (generally) quickly be pointed in the direction of previous relevant discussions on here.

I have in mind in particular problems with:

(a) Some hoaxes having never been discussed in much detail, if at all, on ATS even though material has appeared elsewhere. I have in mind in particular material that has appeared in only in print (i.e. not available on the Internet) or in a foreign language. When I have looked into certain images and reports I've found fairly complete details of the true story are available in some foreign publication, but have simply not been disseminated in English or on the Internet.

(b) Some hoaxes that have been discussed here, but other Internet sites do not change their material to acknowledge research here or elsewhere - so the relevant images keep floating about.

All the best,

Isaac

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

a) Why not post that stuff here yourself?

b) You could try contacting the owners of those sites and informing them it's hoax. No guarantees that they'll listen though

"You can lead a person to reason but you can't make them think"

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I have a friend who works in Tokyo as a web programmer. I can probably get him to design whatever we couldn't figure out. No guarantees but I have alot of confidence in him.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by freelance_zenarchist
a) Why not post that stuff here yourself?

Over the last few years, I have posted some of it. If you do a search of ATS on "isaackoi" and (say) "infamous" or "photo", you'll find that I used to regularly post bits of information from my databases of infamous alien photos and infamous ufo videos.

Internos also started doing the same sort.

I can't say either of us had much impact in relation to those images beyond ATS (and query how much impact we had on ATS itself...).

I've been doing less of those sorts of posts since about 2007.

b) You could try contacting the owners of those sites and informing them it's hoax. No guarantees that they'll listen though

I have done this a few times.

I've often not had any response at all - hence my starting to think about some sort of Panel or group sending any such emails, rather than just little old me.

Some of the relevant websites even had statements on them saying not to bother letting them know information about images on their websites. Last time I checked, one of the bigger UFO websites had a rather terse statement at the top of one of his webpages stating: “No reason to write us and say that a certain photograph is a fake. We are only presenting what has been presented to us. Thank you.”

That sort of attitude might be harder to maintain if there were some respected panel or group making relevant statements or approving the text of a relevant email in relation to a particular image.

All the best,

Isaac

[edit on 11-7-2010 by IsaacKoi]

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I thought I'd briefly update this thread to mention that:

(1) The title of this thread has been referred to in an article on the Washington Post article as an example of the bizarre topics discussed on ATS. That article did not note the edit to the title (made within a few hours of starting this thread months ago) to expressly indicate that the thread title involves a metaphor explained in the first post in this thread.

(2) As part of various attempts I've been making over the last few years to help address the problem in the OP, I recently started two threads relating to the contents of the HOAX forum here on ATS. One of those threads was promptly moved to the trash bin (a decision which I immediately queried) and the other thread ("Visual guide to [HOAX] forum : UFO and Alien photos and videos") was so closely related to the deleted thread that I'm not sure there is any point in continuing work on it.

(3) More generally, to help nail down the sources of UFO reports in the last few days I have also attempted to start a thread for people to volunteer to help with UFO research by answering questions relating within their areas of expertise : see Registry of experts/consultants prepared to help with UFO research issues. We'll see if that thread takes off or not. It didn't do so immediately.

Oh well...

All the best,

Isaac

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join