It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media lies to increase public fear?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Ok so it's not new that the media like to lie about almost everything. It's not new that the media are used to instill fear in us lowly civilians, probably so they can control us and stop us leaving our houses and exercising our tiny minds. But the BBC/UK police have taken this to new levels. I often ask myself how stupid do they think we are?

Raul Moat, caught his girlfriend sleeping with a copper. So he lost his head and shot two coppers and his girlfriend, whatever the details here's the story: STORY (Note the ever clever photos used throughout the Moat stories).
So Moat states he is only after the police, he says the public are safe, the man actually says this.

Until yesterday... the police start to notice that the general public aren't scared of this gunman on the loose, they know he's only after the police and you know what? Due to the sorry state of policing in the UK most of the public don't care. So this beauty appears in the BBC news reports:

The search for fugitive gunman Raoul Moat has taken on a new level of urgency after he made threats to the public as well as police.
Northumbria Police revealed on Thursday the suspected killer had made threats to the wider public. Previously it had been thought his grievance had been directed only towards the police.

Link

No word of where the new info came from - Where could it have come from? The guys a fugitive.

This stinks of blatent lies to me. New info from a guy who's out on the run? The info, in my opinion is nonsense designed to instill the fear into the public. Yeah the guy's a loose cannon but this non-sourced nonsense is so blatent I'm kind of insulted they think we are too stupid not to notice their tactics.

EDIT: More rubbish

It had been thought that his main grievance was directed towards the police, but it has now emerged that members of the public could be at risk.

But police said there was no specific threat to the people of Rothbury.

news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 9-7-2010 by and14263]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Definitely. I don't have a rabid mistrust of the average policeman, but the higher up they go...

"Information has come to our attention about a wider threat to the public from Mr Moat.

"I am not prepared to comment further on this."

So any evidence? They were quick to publish and publicise his first letter.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Some people think that most things of TV are a lie, others think that a lot of TV is a lie.

TV IS a lie - all of it - everything on it is social programming, or bias or whatever - it only has one purpose - to manipulate people.

I reference MSM to find out what their agenda is.

Yes, what you have pointed out is obviously true - they would have received no statement from him - its pure fantasy.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by and14263

Well spotted

This kind of things happens all too frequently in the media/government arena.

"It is believed..."
"Apparently he..."
"He is suspected to..."
"Sources state that..."

And nobody ever questions these vague comments that usually disclose potentially sensitive information that almost always has an effect on public consciousness.

People need to be more vigilant in questioning the media and more specific about what they choose to believe.

Having said that, if this information saves a life then maybe it isn't all bad. Maybe now people will be less likely to try and approach Moat - something that could get them killed.

Still doesn't make it right but it could have it's benefits I suppose.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Exactly, if the "sources" were telling the truth they would have no problem with their name being published.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I think this change of tact came about after they started getting bad feedback in the press and from the public, that all this money is being spent and time and that also with all the police there, they still haven't caught him.

They changing the discussion topic from them, to us.

They then dont look so incompetent, as they doing a good job protecting the schools and the town, just in case, Rambo style he enters the village and starts shooting at people, blowing cars up, setting traps, and going after the cops.

He should hand himself in on the condition he gets a film out of it.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Exactly.
It was this that you quote:

That really got me thinking!

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

Having said that, if this information saves a life then maybe it isn't all bad. Maybe now people will be less likely to try and approach Moat - something that could get them killed.

Still doesn't make it right but it could have it's benefits I suppose.

You're right here. There is a definite benefit to this, after all, he is slightly unstable (slightly
) and armed. So yeah, good point.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Thought you folks might find this article interesting;

Oliver and Gillian Schönrock, the parents criticised for allowing their children to cycle to school, have warned that a culture of fear risks damaging youngsters' social development.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

I know when I was a kid I used to play out in the street until all hours and was never worried about being abducted or anything sinister, the TV would make you think it wasn't safe to leave your home.

That's why you buy all the useless crap that fills your house and distract yourself with material garbage. (He says as he types on a 17" laptop)

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

I just seen on Sky news if you've got it stick it on because they do a loop of info.

Anyway they were asking locals in Rothberry if they were worried. Most said no, a bit aprehensive but most likely he has escaped elsewhere.

Then they spoke to this little old woman, who hadn't slept a wink, she said she was terrified and lived all alone. You could actually hear the camera crew saying 'awww' this was the last interview with the public they did and finished with it. Meaning that the freshest public opinion in mind would be that of the old woman.

They have also just scrambled RAF Tornados to help look for him. This has been on sky but the only source I could find was the incredibly reliable Sun.

Ridiculous you say?

www.thesun.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by and14263
reply to post by jokei

Exactly.
It was this that you quote:

That really got me thinking!

(Sorry about the excessive quoting)

There's two ways that I'm seeing that specific statement can be interpreted:
1) I will not comment further.
2) I am unprepared for further questions*

* As in "we're fibbing and I don't want to catch myself up in further lies that may discredit me".

Edit to add:

Originally posted by Borag the Horse
Exactly, if the "sources" were telling the truth they would have no problem with their name being published.

I don't know if I agree with that, I wouldn't want to speculate on the future safety of a source that was named, if one does exist.

[edit on 9/7/1010 by jokei]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I agree, that is their job. But the problem is, very soon this is going to bite them in the arse and they are going to be exposed for the propagandist that they are. And I am sure a witch hunt will ensue.....

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Just an update on Raoul Moat the cops have him surrounded and he has a gun to his head. Basically he is in no position to hurt anyone but himself.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Your only just realising that the media creates panic and confusion to the general public? Seriously?

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   

I have seen in my own life how people just make up stuff to try and destroy anyone. The police have destroyed my life for 18 years now, desperate for me to do something wrong. Not one crime in my life for these desperate murderers.

I have no clue what that geezer did, but i am sure the police are 1st degree murderers based on my life experience, and all they did in this media rubbish is make up rubbish, i doubt most of it would be true.

I have learned in my life that police in uk are desperate to kill people for no reason, and my life has proven it.

So i would say mi5 where in behind the media stuff here desperate to create a picture of this person. Who knows what the real truth is, i sure do not in this as i know from my own life that the police are as bad as any criminals or murderers they are the murderers.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I also believe he was shot. If this guy had not shot a police officer he would still be at large and they would still be making enquries (sorry for my spelling) however he shot a copper (if he did) and the ptb want everyone to know that they can touch you but you cant touch them. I have also been at the hands of the law myself (for a victimless crime) stripped down, searched and locked in a cell for 9 hours, the whole time i felt i was being treat like an animal considering my offence was very minor. No-one will believe what the coppers said to me when they let me go. They are corrupt liars and bullies. Im not saying what Moat done was right, in fact far from it, but they DO lie to serve their agenda - increase fear = more cctv = more intense big bro state (thats if it could get any more intense)

Peace Light & Love

Marky

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Yeah they totally hyped this up and blatantly lied to the public as Moat was gaining support and sympathy both from villagers and the public.

I posted this on the other thread but will repost here.

Originally posted by blupblup
As I've said, while I don't buy that he was a ruthless, psychotic madman on the rampage, killing innocent people and a massive threat to the public, I still don't have sympathy for him and don't think he went about things in the right way.

It's a weird one..... Derek Bird was scum who shot at old ladies and and stuff...

Moat was a guy who shot and killed his G/F's new B/F... and then shot her and a random cop.
But all those shootings, in his mind, had a point.... it wasn't just indiscriminate.
He had opportunities to kill many, many more people.... and didn't.

He killed one person..... one too many, but not quite the rampaging gunman killing people the police and MSM would have you believe.

He robbed places and held up a chippy.... he could have killed many more people.

Even left a message on a dictaphone saying that he wasn't shooting old ladies like Derek Bird did.

[edit on 10/7/10 by blupblup]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Great thread and something I think about all the time.

Regarding Moat- He flipped, but I'm positive he'd calmed down and would have handed himself in if they'd given him the chance.

While he was on the run the amount of stuff they were saying about him in the papers would drive any (already angry) person to start shooting anything that moved. He didn't.

Kids were walking to school past heavily armed men with fingers on their triggers. I'd have kept my kids at home. At that time it was only the police he was after so why are the police (targets) standing around schools and mingling with children? A few folk mentioned this. Is that why the media changed the story about who he was after?

Regarding the couple who send their kids to school on a bike. The facts are- two kids 5 and 8 cycle to school for one mile. They cycle on the pavement and have 1 road to cross which is manned by a lollipop lady. Other parents reported them to the school, who in turn threatened to report the couple to the authorities. This was big news and most people were NOT on the side of the parents who let their kids cycle. Frightening. Every school I ever attended had bicycle sheds, how times have changed.

Another big story was the family who's baby girls were bitten by a fox in their bedroom. The animal lover brigade were out in force making threats against the family. "They bit their own babies and blamed it on a fox because they are pro-fox-hunting folk" was one of their mad claims. Some chats and web forums were filled with venom against the family. The media (DM to be exact) hunt some of the commenters down, photograph them, name and shame them in the papers, include the fact they're unemployed and claim dole money and this turns the story upside down and folk are then making comments by the hundreds against animal lovers.

The scary part is that most of those named and shamed in that story were not the ones making the really evil threats against the family. Their comments were mostly sceptical, sarcastic, bitchy, but not the totally vile ones the headline portrayed. They were not the people who made the threats the headline was about, but they were hunted and photographed and shoved right there in the story which if I remember right, also mentioned how fat and unemployed they were. This is 21st century witch-hunting.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I dont want to go off topic here, but that is correct. I am claiming Jobseekers in the UK and have been for the past 4 years, I am honestly trying my best to find work, im an active person i dont like to sit around the house all day. I cant find work for the love of trying now we get a PM who says "we`re gonna cut down on the number of jobs available" (whatever that means) then he says "they`re gonna be tougher on people claiming jobseekers to get them into work" nice one mate thanks for the contradiction. The state wonders why people get ticked off................

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Just look at the big Picture... All the commercials ... and the News is always something to cry about.. someone dead murdered raped, earthquakes .. scandals, CEO with big bye bye checks... and so on... we are a bunch of sheep raping and killing each other for Power! and the different news from different countries trying to "cover" the news or manipulate us to think which side of the story is true...

And we all are still fighting each other with what the news really updated our gullible minds with... go down there and see it for your self is the only thing to cover anything in any right direction, if that was possible ...

Why do you think the Fear game is big money?? cause we need to buy # stuff for alot of money to feel us more safe maybe

You are not a normal person if you dont have a Telly TV or whatever, and god! by all means if you dont have channels on your tv or just 3 or 2 channels your arent normal... god, i see people chit chat on the streets , and i mean friends probably known each other for years the only thing they can talk about it the god damn news, its like they need to update each other from their telly... its sad so sad, and people the world is so closed minded cause, you know the Television is talking for us in any directions, cant think by your own, cause youre probably a nutter then... so WE all wait when the Telly is updated us before we can state anything.

Peace.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join