It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oakland Riots Live stream/Police Scanner

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
For those of you who want to follow this more closely,
follow the links provided by OP and.....

www.godlikeproductions.com...

Don't forget about all those JULY 11th threads as well!!!!

It's Goin Downnnnn!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jdills1196

Thanks for he info...I remember the BART incident two years ago. Is this the same trial?

For those that haven't seen it.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   
scanner reports that there are people on the roofs of 14 and broadway throwing bottles rocks and other items dont know how they got on top of a skyscraper but this dosent bode well i dont know how you would try to get people off from the edge of a tall building but i dont think it will end well

building looks like at least a 20-30 story building just heard cops mutter something about takeing flash bang fire dont know if its there own flash bangs or if people in the crowd have them
maps.google.com... is the bulding and its 1333 and it seems like they are useing radios and other equipment to monitor police activitys and direct rioters to areas where there are gaps in police lines

[edit on 8-7-2010 by KilrathiLG]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sporkmonster

haha, I'd rather listen to music, but yeah.. Your welcome.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I live in Oakland, and have a few things to say about this.

1. Quit calling Oscar Grant innocent. If he would not have been fighting on the BART train, it would have never happened. He put himself in that situation to be arrested. If he would not have gotten in the original fight on the train, none of this would have happened.

2. Involuntary manslaughter is a fair sentence. I also agree with the gun enhancement charge that Mehserle was found guilty of as well. Do you really believe Mehserle woke up that morning and thought to himself "I am going to shoot someone in the back today"?

3. Have you ever been to Oakland? Downtown is not pretty. I'd love to see some of you walk through downtown at night. Especially the vocal people on here. You would not make it a block with out losing your shoes, Ipod, any jewelry you were wearing and your wallet, if not your life.

4. Jdills - He was CONVICTED today, not charged. What and why would you have liked to seen him get a greater charge? And did the evidence support the greater charge?

5. Zroth - I'd like to know what you think about all the other homicides that go on in Oakland, and why people are not out protesting those. There are a hell of a lot more murders in Oakland than this one. It is not Mayberry. This was an unfortunate accident and someone lost their life. How is it a double standard, was he not convicted? I will ask you too, What and why would you have liked to seen him get a greater charge? And did the evidence support the greater charge?

5. Did you see the stunned look on the officers face right after he shot him, or the daze he was in 20 minutes later in even more video footage?

6. Anyone care to comment on Oscar Grants buddies who were also getting arrested for fighting on the BART train. Or how the police that were there, had to control an overwhelming new years eve crowd of intoxicated people yelling, shouting, and trying to interfere BEFORE O.G. unfortunately got shot?

People really need to step back, and examine the whole situation. Today was a mostly peaceful protest, and I hope it continues in to the night peacefully as well. The original riots that that occurred after the initial shooting were not pretty, and we are lucky more people did not get killed, be it a protester or an officer. I have seen a lot of ignorant comments about the entire mess, and that is what it is.. a mess. Both for the Grant family and for the Mehserle family. My heart goes out to both families, as both have now been torn apart by this unfortunate accident.

I really think that if people want to protest this one incident, they should protest EVERY MURDER that happens during the year in the same manner. Only then will there truly be the change that is needed in Oakland.

~Druidae

[edit on 8-7-2010 by Druidae]

link   
reply to post by mordant1

Exactly. The people in the 'hood complain about businesses leaving the 'hood, while at the same time doing stuff like this. Then taxpayer money gets spent repairing the damage just so it can happen all over again. Every time I see riots like this I think more and more how 'Escape From New York' sounds like a sane solution.

link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Yes, this was that trial.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
It does remind me of the G20 as well, wonder if they have cops undercover instigating trouble among the peaceful protests?

Do we have members there who can let us know the truth?

It is a tragedy of the system to see this go south for the victim and his family.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by antar]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Druidae

Sorry I meant convicted... This is honestly the first time I've heard about it.
Anyways star for the post

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Druidae

Also, I never said I did think he needed a greater charge, but thats why these protest are going on. I just provide information, I don't have an opinion on this.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by jdills1196]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
can any one else recall when riots have happiend where they have taken over a tall building like this before or is this a first i hope this calms down soon they were doing soooo well

and to clear up why there so mad the cop claimed he was going for his tazer and ACCIDENTILY pulled his hand gun thats why there so mad i figure the least we can expect from our police officers is the ability to tell the difference between a loaded gun and a plastic tazer let alone shooting a complying suspect on the ground in the back

and part of the controversy is there were no black jurors in the jury pool it was ORIGINALLY 65 % Hispanic jurors but they switched them out for some reason to a almost 100% white jury

police scanner just stated the protestors have looted a pawn shop and are UNSURE weather or not it contianed weapons or firearms.....looks like the masses might be arming them selves

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Druidae

Starred you for the input. Although,

explain to me how a police officer is able to be convicted of
"involuntary manslaughter" when he murdered a young man?

If these officers of the law are to swear themself in to the enforcement
regime and have authorization to fire a weapon on someone, then the
officer should be convicted the same, if not more than us average people.

A TRAINED officer of the law made a mistake and "accidentally" grabbed
his handgun instead of his tazer!!!! Haha!

Yeah, funny how the tazer is on the opposite side of the belt!

*not being rude*

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Clearly all the evil conspirators must pay in full, including the children, whether in cali or elsewhere, no reason to have machinegunned that church group choir, it was not resisting arrest, just, umm trembling in the grace of the almighty , and the grenades afterward were unneeded.
Does nobody in a position of spokemanship see the irony of attacking the life and safety of those anonymous people that had nothing to do with it, and would have never imagined putting themselves into such a situation which could escalate. Maybe if given the chance to either keep the support checks or have that money go instead into repair of the damage and pay for increased security things would change, but thenm that would lead to further riots. This is just like when all those on the east coast burned the town down when the NBPP did not threaten voters with pool cues.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGiantPeach

Intent is required to prove murder. Intent is a hard thing to prove. While it may seem obvious to us which weapon he should have pulled...I have witnessed many people do stupid things backwards from what they would have done normally.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SphinxMontreal
So this lowlife murderer got the same rap as if he had unintentionally run over and killed someone with his car? The American justice system is a joke. There is no justice, just a bunch of out of control goons running wild and literally getting away with murder.

no, not really.
do you know what happens to white cops
when they are placed in general population
in prison for capping a brother ????

it is a death sentence anyway!!!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   

perhaps there was a contributory component that the young man could have applied to his fate? Cops as much as they are primarily revenue enhancment officers and basically dim can't be expected to behave any more perfectly than the wonderful residents that hate them, primarily by threatening the underground economy of generalized lawlessness. Those that dont understand the dynamics of humans (and mostly rather dull ones at that) under stress dont get out much in the hood.
All I can say is that if I got shot by a cop, i'd damn well intended that esact outcome. It is, in other words, quite avoidable and done all the time. Cops on the street know and feel like they are facing an ever increasing insurgency of lawlessness, and they'd be right.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Jurors in the trial of former BART police Officer Johannes Mehserle will be given the option of convicting him of second-degree murder, voluntary manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter or nothing at all, a judge ruled Wednesday on the eve of closing arguments.

source

Second-degree murder is ordinarily defined as 1) an intentional killing that is not premeditated or planned, nor committed in a reasonable "heat of passion" or 2) a killing caused by dangerous conduct and the offender's obvious lack of concern for human life. Second-degree murder may best be viewed as the middle ground between first-degree murder and voluntary manslaughter.

Voluntary manslaughter is commonly defined as an intentional killing in which the offender had no prior intent to kill, such as a killing that occurs in the "heat of passion." The circumstances leading to the killing must be the kind that would cause a reasonable person to become emotionally or mentally disturbed; otherwise, the killing may be charged as a first-degree or second-degree murder.

Involuntary manslaughter usually refers to an unintentional killing that results from recklessness or criminal negligence, or from an unlawful act that is a misdemeanor or low-level felony (such as DUI). The usual distinction from voluntary manslaughter is that involuntary manslaughter (sometimes called "criminally negligent homicide") is a crime in which the victim's death is unintended.

There you go.. Involuntary manslaughter pretty much fits what happened.

Originally posted by boondock-saint
no, not really.
do you know what happens to white cops
when they are placed in general population
in prison for capping a brother ????
it is a death sentence anyway!!!

No it's not. He will be AdSeg right away and will never see GenPop. And once again, the punishment fit the crime.

And to see what the Police are up against in Oakland, why don't you take a gander at this....

cbs5.com...

~Druidae

[edit on 9-7-2010 by Druidae]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

they currently dont have him in general custody they have him at the prisoner intake facility and then he is going to the county jail to be placed in protective custody for all the good its gonna do him....

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

reply to post by Druidae

Thanks for the facts.
Changed my outlook on the conviction!

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Where is the justice in our world? An innocent man who was only trying to stop a fight had a knee crushing his neck then shot, for what? He was not resisting anything and was shot dead by public authorities!

How are we supposed to feel knowing we pay taxes only to have innocent people shot dead, for judges to make backroom deals and politicians protecting the guilty and handing over the innocent. Where is our justice!? We must unite as one people and pursue a global uprising against not only the corrupt politicians but the corrupt judges, police, bankers, CEO's and anyone who perpetually desecrates the lives of the people!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join