posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:40 PM
I live in Oakland, and have a few things to say about this.
1. Quit calling Oscar Grant innocent. If he would not have been fighting on the BART train, it would have never happened. He put himself in that
situation to be arrested. If he would not have gotten in the original fight on the train, none of this would have happened.
2. Involuntary manslaughter is a fair sentence. I also agree with the gun enhancement charge that Mehserle was found guilty of as well. Do you really
believe Mehserle woke up that morning and thought to himself "I am going to shoot someone in the back today"?
3. Have you ever been to Oakland? Downtown is not pretty. I'd love to see some of you walk through downtown at night. Especially the vocal people on
here. You would not make it a block with out losing your shoes, Ipod, any jewelry you were wearing and your wallet, if not your life.
4. Jdills - He was CONVICTED today, not charged. What and why would you have liked to seen him get a greater charge? And did the evidence support the
5. Zroth - I'd like to know what you think about all the other homicides that go on in Oakland, and why people are not out protesting those. There
are a hell of a lot more murders in Oakland than this one. It is not Mayberry. This was an unfortunate accident and someone lost their life. How is it
a double standard, was he not convicted? I will ask you too, What and why would you have liked to seen him get a greater charge? And did the evidence
support the greater charge?
5. Did you see the stunned look on the officers face right after he shot him, or the daze he was in 20 minutes later in even more video footage?
6. Anyone care to comment on Oscar Grants buddies who were also getting arrested for fighting on the BART train. Or how the police that were there,
had to control an overwhelming new years eve crowd of intoxicated people yelling, shouting, and trying to interfere BEFORE O.G. unfortunately got
People really need to step back, and examine the whole situation. Today was a mostly peaceful protest, and I hope it continues in to the night
peacefully as well. The original riots that that occurred after the initial shooting were not pretty, and we are lucky more people did not get killed,
be it a protester or an officer. I have seen a lot of ignorant comments about the entire mess, and that is what it is.. a mess. Both for the Grant
family and for the Mehserle family. My heart goes out to both families, as both have now been torn apart by this unfortunate accident.
I really think that if people want to protest this one incident, they should protest EVERY MURDER that happens during the year in the same manner.
Only then will there truly be the change that is needed in Oakland.
[edit on 8-7-2010 by Druidae]