It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Pot prices may decline up to 80 pct. after California legalization

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
But think.

If legal, then everyone is gonna grow without worries. Price drops like a rock, at least in USA.

The problem is that once it is legal and regulated by the government, no one will be able to grow for personal use. Just like liquor. It is illegal to still your own liquor.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
But it is legal to brew your on beer. And you can make "moonshine" legaly for fuel purposes you just have to get a permit from the ATF to do so.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
And you can make "moonshine" legaly for fuel purposes you just have to get a permit from the ATF to do so.

And how does this counter what I said? If you have to obtain a permit from the government, it is not free to grow anymore.

Plus, it is already happening. New Jersey and Washington DC (almost) are the 2 newest medical cannabis states/district. It is still illegal to grow your own medicine in these states/district.

[edit on 12-7-2010 by Nutter]

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

Yeah the permit is free so you are free to do it.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Nothing about growing medicine in an already legal state then?

That's how the government is going to regulate this. Either make people pay a tax to grow it or make it illegal to grow yourself. Just like liquor is illegal to manufacture for yourself. And yes, stilling is still illegal for consumption.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I agree it will drop massively in price.

Where I live, people pay about $200 per oz for the decent stuff, but the guy they get it off only pays about $100 in a bulk. Mostly likely the guy above him pays $50 per oz in bigger bulk.

Once it's legal, I expect that a few levels of middlemen will be cut out, and people won't be looking for such high profits, as there will no longer be such big risks.

I think it's true that a "sin tax" will be levied, but I bet it will still be a lot cheaper. Just think how much Tobacco costs for an ounce, I haven't bought any for a while, but I think it was way under $10. Pot is not really that much harder to grow for the standard stuff, and even the good stuff will not be too bad once economy of scale comes in. Right now, most grows can't go too big, because it gets suspicious with the heat signature and electricity usage. Once that's not a worry, people can go big.

Also, people can avoid such "sin taxes" by growing their own, just like some people brew their own beer, or make their own wines.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Nutter

Well blame the medical activists, they spent so much time getting it approved for mediacl use that they have one. The downside is that in doing so they make it available by Rx only.
So pot will be the most abused Rx drug around.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I disagree. You are telling me that Big Pharma, who wrote and got passed the health-care bill is just going to sit idly by and watch this happen? They are just going to let a opportunity get wasted? They can't get a silly law passed that says we can't grow it? Then who gets to grow it if we the people can't?

It will be so regulated by the government(IOW, under Big Pharma's thumb) so much and so difficult to obtain - just look at where I live, it's "legal" and a huge pain in the butt to get - that the illegal trade will still have to exist.

It should be free to all. If you can grow it, then it's yours to do as you like. No money, no taxes, no regulations, no stupid laws.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
If this bill passes, I think that you'll see a big drip in prices and and increase in "How to Grow" books and merchandise. Overall, it grows like a weed.

Twenty five square feet can give you some pretty good sized plants. So, you'll have portions of buyers who suddenly drop out of the market because their little patch in the backyard provides all they need.

People who grow their own, most likely won't pay their taxes either. Only commercial growers would pay tax.

I support this and hope that it does pass.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Wow! This thread is still going

I hadn't checked it since yesterday early and thought it was dwindling out.
Guess there must be a lot of interest in this

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
reply to post by Nutter

Well blame the medical activists, they spent so much time getting it approved for mediacl use that they have one. The downside is that in doing so they make it available by Rx only.
So pot will be the most abused Rx drug around.

Let me say it again. People with a cannabis prescription can not grow their own cannabis in New Jersey and DC. The argument was that they didn't want to become a CA where everyone can grow........wonder why? Because they want to make the profit and not let the individual.

BTW, the medical activists want patients to be able to grow their own.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThaLoccster
I don't see how this will lower any prices.

Legalization, will not stop greed.

I know people, who can by an lb of marijuana for $300, definately not some "boom boom pow", but definately not "commercial schwag" either.

Do they sell it for a slight mark up to make a profit?

No, they sell it for $700-$1000.

Why?

Probably the same reason a pair of Air Jordan's cost $4 to make, yet they are sold for $150.

No duh, of course your going your going sell it at the normal prices even when you get it on the low, thats just common sense. The only reason the prices work like that is because its illegal. The profit margins are even better for coke, because the drug is more illegal. If weed was legalized, you wont need a special connect to buy pounds, everybody could buy direct from the grower, and everybody would grow, I know I would. And are you sure you friend gets POUNDS for 300? Not quarter pounds? You live on the border of mexico or something? Those prices are insanely low. Here quarter pound of mids (usually crappy bricked weed) cost 325 if you got the hook ups or 370-400 if you dont. Your friend's weed prices, even after mark up, are really low. The article says if it was legalized, prices for dank would be $40 an O, your friend is already paying $19 an O(but mids, not dank), so maybe legalization wont change prices for you, but the rest of us are paying a hell of a lot more right now.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
reply to post by tothetenthpower

They are just going to let a opportunity get wasted? They can't get a silly law passed that says we can't grow it?

One reason I disagree with this, is sheer human laziness. If made fully legal, the product will be good enough that most people just won't bother.

We could all grow our own Tobacco, and brew our own Beer, but only a tiny percentage actually bother. Most people just pay that bit extra to get the quick and easy way, as long as the product is OK.

If it comes down to either setting up a closet with the special lights, attending the plants every day, and all the other work involved, then waiting months for the final crop, or just popping to the corner store with $20, I'm pretty convinced most people will just take the latter option, especially the majority who just like a bit for weekends or at parties.

I think the self grow will only be for the hardcore connoisseurs, heavy users, or the people who want it the most "natural" way, things like that.

[edit on 12/7/2010 by harpsounds]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join