It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge declares US gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Judge declares US gay-marriage ban is unconstitutional

www.boston.com

A federal district court judge in Boston today struck down a 1996 federal law that defines marriage as a union exclusively between a man and a woman, according to the office of state Attorney General Martha Coakley.

Judge Joseph L. Tauro, in a 36-page ruling that touched on the history of marriage laws, found that the federal Defense of Marriage Act violates Massachusetts’ right to recognize same-sex unions.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+4 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Now every state will be forced to recognize same-sex marriages from another state, even if their state constitution forbids gay marriage. Thoughts?

This will also rule out the recent veto of Hawaii governor against same sex civil union. I feel this is step is right direction so everyone get's to enjoy equal rights now.

www.boston.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Something tells me we will see the right-wing and religious christian 'crazies' turn up on this thread to denounce your support of liberty for gay folks.

I agree with you OP - equal rights FOR ALL. Let's hope this good trend continues.

Parallex.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I am a christian, however it does not effect me what these people do. I couldn't care less really. I can only be responsible for myself. I have a gay cousin, and support her 100%.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

You're not a 'crazy' then. Good for you - Your cousin has another reason above and beyond most others to show how unique she is!

Parallex.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

She is a good person, and I think that is the important thing here. Im glad she can be true to what she is and not hide it anymore.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The Constitution says every citizen is entitled to equal protection under the law. I don't see why that shouldn't apply to gay people.
If the State has a "compelling reason" to ban gay marriage, I'd sure like to hear it. The only reasons I hear are religious, the State should not enforce any religious doctrine.
Gay marriage IS legal in truth, there is no reason to prohibit it.
It's a right that hasn't been recognized, but it's still a right. The Government shouldn't be in the marriage defining business anyway, except for tax purposes.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
double post

[edit on 8-7-2010 by OldDragger]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I read in other thread on ATS some Christian guy was trying to use slippery slope to suppress supporters. He said "marriage for animals is next!" Guess what, an animal can't sign a piece of paper, and they lack our level of intelligence. The law should state that marriage is a union between two consenting adult humans.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Good, I'm happy the legal system is finally coming around to the idea.

Equal rights for all.

I don't think the government should be in marriage at all though, that needs to change, but so long as being "married" provides more benefits that just being a couple, gay folk should have a right to do so.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Good, I'm happy the legal system is finally coming around to the idea.

Equal rights for all.

I don't think the government should be in marriage at all though, that needs to change, but so long as being "married" provides more benefits that just being a couple, gay folk should have a right to do so.

~Keeper

What you are saying is flatly contradictory. The whole point of legal marriage is to be granted rights and privileges that people do not have as individuals. You are right that the government should not be involved. So, no, the legal system is not coming around at all. Its just getting more and more intrusive and gay people are flatly wrong if they are going to clamor for the state to take more and more control over their lives such as by requiring government permission to get married. Gay marriage is a big step backwards for civilization because it means yet more undeserved power and control for so-called government.

The Free State Project recently hosted "stateless" weddings at a recent event... that is what impresses me. Not more and more state permission slips for people to get married. Unlike the legal system, the Free State Project is actually advancing society.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by truthquest]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by truthquest

My comment was in regards to the fact that if the system is not willing to change for the better (ie. removing government from marriage) then the system needs to incorporate ALL people under the law to make it equal and fair.

This is what this ruling does.

There's no logical or valid argument for denying gays the right to marry under the current system.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Yes! If they are allowing a bedroom fetish to marry and have full benefits I’m going to get 10 wives !!! Yahoo!
If one whacked out fetish get recognized all should-right? They are not special.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Steve8511
Yes! If they are allowing a bedroom fetish to marry and have full benefits I’m going to get 10 wives !!! Yahoo!
If one whacked out fetish get recognized all should-right? They are not special.

That has to be one of the most interesting arguments I have ever seen.

Fetish? 10 wives?

We're not talking about leather or S&M here.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
You see they Gov has to open the flood gates now. People don’t think.
All “special”, alternative love/fetish/need/beliefs all carry the same weight now.
What are the Gays going to discriminate now?!

People are stupid.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by Steve8511]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

My comment was in regards to the fact that if the system is not willing to change for the better (ie. removing government from marriage) then the system needs to incorporate ALL people under the law to make it equal and fair.

I agree, but in my thoughts, the rules that go along with marriage are antiquated, and need to be done with all together.

Even marriages between men and woman do not last, at least half the time.

Marriage in itself, is ridiculous, and needs to be done away with, all together.

Every relationship, should be considered a domestic partnership, that may have a limited shelf life!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by I AM LEGION

about dang time there rights were respected this is a land mark case for human rights in the usa i just hope the crazys don't go all nutty on every one or take matters in to there own hands gay people are just that people like you and me and they have the RIGHT to get married!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Steve8511
You see they Gov has to open the flood gates now. People don’t think.
All “special”, alternative love/fetish/need/beliefs all carry the same weight now.

Why? All one declare is that a marriage is between two consenting people of legal age, getting all the legal benefits of the union.

Love, fetishes, need, belief or getting 10 extra wives have nothing to do with it.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by merka]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
So... all of the states that continue to define marriage as one man+one woman can still do so, and the federal government should stay out of it, right? So – wouldn't this prevent California's Proposition 8 from being struck down by a federal court? Or is this one of those funny one-way walls?

The LGBT community has shot themselves in the foot. You guys actually think of this as a victory? all this does is say that the FED GOV. has no right telling the STATES what marriage is. The states decide what marriage is.

I thought about this a little more and i realized that gay people still lose. Because like i said all this does is say that STATES decide what marriage is. That means if states like california ban or make a ammendment against gay marriage,gay people cant go to the federal court and whine. BECAUSE STATES DECIDE. Gay people are idiots...can they not even look that far ahead? What are you gonna do about PROP 8 now? You cant challenge it federally. Because the FEDS hands are tied. If they tried to strike down PROP 8 and other bans and ammendments IT WOULD BE UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

Do you gay people here really think this is a victory? Maybe right NOW. But when even more states start filing ammendments to ban or not recognize same sex marriage what are you gonna do? what happens if those states that do have gay marriage RIGHT NOW gets it banned again? You cant whine to the FED....remember....there hands are tied. If they tried to do something it would unconstitutional.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
let me ask a question:

what if ...... just what if
everybody in the entire world
immediately turned gay.

How would we procreate as a species ????

man + woman = life

man + man = death

woman + woman = death

why is that so hard to comprehend how we
were supposed to be to sustain ourselves???

[edit on 9-7-2010 by boondock-saint]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join