It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Hole Blows Huge Gas Bubble

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
A small black hole has been observed blowing a vast bubble of hot gas 1,000 light-years across.
The observations were made by the Very Large Telescope in Chile and Nasa's Chandra space observatory.

Astronomers say the two streams of particles they observed are the most powerful pair of jets ever seen from a stellar-mass black hole. "The length of the jets in NGC 7793 is amazing, compared with the size of the black hole from which they are launched," said co-author Robert Soria, from the Mullard Space Science Laboratory at University College London (UCL).

"If the black hole were shrunk to the size of a soccer ball, each jet would extend from the Earth to beyond the orbit of Pluto."

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
That is what I do not get. How can anything escape? I guess that rule has to be dropped from the equation now.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conclusion
That is what I do not get. How can anything escape? I guess that rule has to be dropped from the equation now.

Exactly.

It sounds like the opposite of a black hole. whatever that may be.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Bla bla bla, event horizon, bla bla...give me a break, they don't know why its happening and neither do I. Get back to the drawing board already guys!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The reason it comes out in those two jets is because when there is a massive amount of gas to absorb,all of it is accelerated to nearly the speed of light and with that speed it has enough energy to escape (because it hasn't reached that point of no return)

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Nothing's escaping from the black hole itself, it's coming from the accretion disk.

(reads article) Yep, the article says that too, you have to hit "show more text", it's at the bottom with the boring technical bits.

BTW, that's an "artist's rendition", not a picture of the event.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
WOW please tell me we are not downwind from THAT!!!

What goes in must come out I suppose.

Cool pics

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Absolutely amazing! Thanks for sharing looks like I have a new Desktop Background

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Conclusion

Imagine a whirlpool in a body of water. These jets are formed by colliding particles and gas etc... on the outside rim of the whirlpoool before they get to the point of no return. If for instance two suns collided at this point on a black hole the resulting explosion would blow some material into the hole and other material would be blown away from a black hole.

Remember just being near a black hole does not mean you cannot escape. The gravity increases as you get closer until you reach the event horizon which is when your close enough so that the gravity is now powerfull enough to prevent even light from escaping. Any light that passes near but not passed this point would be bent off its trajectory but not pulled in.

So bascially on the outskirts of this event horizon you have a natural particle collider where you get all kinds of exotic energies being released before the point of being trapped in the hole. This area is very violent. The jets occur when large amounts of matter and particles are colliding and releasing massive amounts of energies at the same time producing those jets.

So there is no need to reinvent the theories around black holes just yet.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by Xeven]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
It is amazing how some people pretend to know everything about this vast Universe.

Just amazing

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Is this evidence of cosmic burps?

Or maybe it is telling us that maybe the best ideas come from the most unexpected places?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Cause it is not a black hole, it is a plasma related process and black holes have nothing to do with it.

This is just another example of how they confuse the evidence for plasma cosmology, and try to fit it into their outdated gravitational paradigm.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
From what I've come to understand about these jets is that black holes have a limitation on what they can absorb at one time, which most of the time equates to an overabundance of material the object ingests, whereby the excess material is then thrust towards the polar axis of the object via directional rotation and shed violently in both directions.

As the object grows denser and denser through proportionate growth, the more material it then can absorb and attract. Absorbtion is what creates the object's growth, however said growth evidently is governed by existing mass times velocity. Excess is then thrust away, similar in manner as a supernovea event, however directionally controlled due to axial governance.

it's the sum of this total equation that in the future mankind will find his most efficient manner of propulsion - greater even that fussion, photonic, and/or ionic methods.

We'd literally have to create a black hole and control it's directional output in order to go where we wish, at the speed that we wish.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
This kind of adds to what Megiddodiddo had to say

Stephen Hawking has an easy explanation about why smaller black holes may lose mass (possibly disappear) over time :

physics.about.com...

"In a simplified version of the explanation, Hawking predicted that energy fluctuations from the vacuum causes the generation of particle-antiparticle pairs near the event horizon of the black hole. One of the particles falls into the black hole while the other escapes, before they have an opportunity to annihilate each other. The net result is that, to someone viewing the black hole, it would appear that a particle had been emitted.

Since the particle that is emitted has positive energy, the particle that gets absorbed by the black hole has a negative energy relative to the outside universe. This results in the black hole losing energy, and thus mass (because E = mc2).

Smaller primordial black holes can actually emit more energy than they absorb, which results in them losing net mass. Larger black holes, such as those that are one solar mass, absorb more cosmic radiation than they emit through Hawking radiation."

I found it to be an interesting explanation for why we don't have to worry about small man made ones.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by snowspirit]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
The reason it comes out in those two jets is because when there is a massive amount of gas to absorb,all of it is accelerated to nearly the speed of light and with that speed it has enough energy to escape (because it hasn't reached that point of no return)

Yes that could explain it.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Black holes don't exist.

And even if they did, the notion that a hole in space can shoot out jets of matter spanning multi-galactic scales is so utterly ridiculous that it defies any rational logic.

The "jets" are not jets, they are currents of charged plasma streaming INTO the galactic core.

The galactic core is a plasma pinch.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Apparently there are a couple threads on this, here is what I posted in the other one:

Replace 'hot gas' in the article with the word 'plasma'.

Next, replace 'jets' with the word 'filament'.

Then, replace 'black hole' with the words 'pinch and double layer related process'.

One could even replace the phrase 'swallow matter' with 'influx current'.

'Jets of fast-moving particles' then becomes 'plasma filaments'.

'bubble' is OK but in plasma cosmology the word 'cell' is more appropriate as plasma often takes on cellular structure with its boundary layers. So expanding cellular boundary layer = expanding bubble.

From the article, I changed the wording of the following sentences a little:

"We have been astonished by how much energy is injected into the plasma filaments by the central pinch process," says lead author Manfred Pakull, from the University of Strasbourg, France.

These process are known to release a prodigious amount of energy when they influx current.

It was thought that most of this energy was released in the form of radiation, predominantly X-rays. However, the new findings that were predicted by plasma cosmologists last century, show that some of these processes can release at least as much energy, perhaps more, in the form of "filaments" of fast-moving plasma.

(note from me: A large scale plasma pinch process would inherently output energy in the form of the plasma filament itself, and the radiation is a necessary byproduct. Notice there is no need for the mathematical construct of a black hole because it has been supplanted by scaled up versions of known laboratory plasma phenomena. Certain plasma variables having scale invariance make this possible.)

edit to add link to relevant external source, written over 20 years ago:
journals.cambridge.org...

new topics

top topics

join