It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Shall Not Hurt The Oil Or The Wine.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Heres one that is puzzling?

How could you HURT the oil or the wine?

Can anyone answer the Question?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

The Bible is a very misleading book - it is written by a lot of liars.

Thou shalt not hurt the oil or the wine, but why not kill a few thousand people in the meantime?

Do not believe the bible.

People have said it is the word of God - it is the word of a lot of people who are not God.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

The Bible is a very misleading book - it is written by a lot of liars. Thou shalt not hurt the oil or the wine, but why not kill a few thousand people in the meantime? Do not believe the bible.

I dont think OP asked whether you believed it on it or not.

I heard a voice out of the midst of the four animals saying, Hurt not the oil and the wine (Rev. 6:6);

where oil is the good of celestial love; and wine, the good of spiritual love.

www.biblemeanings.info...

The link above should provide more clues as to the spiritual meaning of the verse.

also, one of the meanings of hurt:

detriment: a damage or loss

So literally it could mean to drink from the oil or wine, but that was only my first impression.

Hopefully someone with more biblical knowledge can help you further.

anyways, God Bless.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by Falken]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

the oil in that verse is olive oil:

G1637
ἔλαιον
elaion
el'-ah-yon
Neuter of the same as G1636; olive oil: - oil.

and wine is just wine

hurt is:

G91
ἀδικέω
adikeō
ad-ee-keh'-o
From G94; to be unjust, that is, (actively) do wrong (morally, socially or physically): - hurt, injure, be an offender, be unjust, (do, suffer, take) wrong.

i looked up the same word throughout the NT, G91, to see how it is used in other sentences, to get a better idea of how it is used, and it can also indicate being injured, as the definition says.

it's mainly used as "to do wrong" or "to hurt" and "to injure" a few times.

i've thought about this verse a lot lately but so far, no new epiphanies!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Most people looking at that whole verse take it as a prediction of famine.
The argument is that the prices being set for wheat and barley are famine prices, which would be the consequence of a shortage of wheat and barley.
That implies that the production of wheat and barley has been hurt.
Following on from that thought, "don't hurt the oil and the wine" would mean "don't hurt the production of oil and wine".
The cereal crops are damaged, while grapes and olives are left untouched.
Or. as people sometimes observe, what is essential for food suffers, while the less essential. almost luxurious, items are left untouched.

I can offer you this account of the Four Horsemen as a whole;
The Four Horsemen

[edit on 8-7-2010 by DISRAELI]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
Most people looking at that whole verse take it as a prediction of famine.

good point.

but the scales represent justice (in general and in the bible) and righteousness (in the bible).

i don't know why that is not the accepted interpretation of the 3rd horsemen's scales, in favor of the idea of famine, which is rarely, if ever, at all, represented by scales in either the bible or general ideology.

just goes to show the very real possibility of an entirely twisted understanding of the book of Revelation, both in christianity as well as the general public who do not follow a religion but who do hear the standard mainstream interpretation of the apocalypse as a doom and gloom scenario that only increases fear of, and anger toward, the bible, GOD, and Jesus.

an example of such in this thread.

how can anyone say this opinion isn't valid when it is the result of this very thing? the accepted ideas are spread day in and day out by those who accept those ideas, but who do little studying or research on their own. this is supposedly an effort to spread the gospel and perhaps, but not always, christianity as the only "true" religion.

it's hard to promote the truth in the face of such opposition coming from those who claim to be GOD's true church.

how can something be true if it makes GOD out to be a liar or something equally sinful?

let GOD be true and every man a liar!

[edit on 7/8/2010 by queenannie38]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
See that's just the problem with the bible - a 100 people can read the same verse and it will mean something different to each one - that is unless they have been brainwashed by a preacher or other person and follow their meaning like a sheep. The bible was written by man, and I think they drank too much wine. As for the interpertation of the symbolic meanings - someone laid away all night figuring that out - get real. Oil and wine- how about some Peace and Love!

Forget this religious confusion - it causes conflict, hate and wars - nothing good about that.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by rtcctr

Quite puzzling indeed!

Oil hurts us. (As in the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico)

Wine hurts us. (As in liver disease, DUI fatalities and such)

Too much of both will kill us.

I believe the contents in the Bible is grossly twisted in some weird way. Instead of advocating life of people, it gives death.

[edit on 2010-7-09 by pikypiky]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Obviously both the oil and wine are sacred. Oil is used to anoint and the wine is used in feasts and as a drink offering. What's not so obvious is the hidden spiritual aspect of both.

I'll try to explain and hopefully you will understand.

After a person repents and gets baptized, there is still another baptism you are supposed to undergo, the one of spirit and fire that John the Baptist spoke of. Most people think, when you come to Christ, you get baptized, you try to live a good moral life, attend a decent church and tithe. Some people think you don't even have to get baptized, but Jesus led by example. He also said that if we love him, we are to keep his commandments. After his water baptism the first directive we get is to again repent because the kingdom is near.

Everything up to this point has been strictly a physical and mental effort on the initiates part to entering the kingdom. Next comes the metaphysical parts, that I can't tell you exactly how they work or who is doing what but if a persons eyes have been opened spiritually and have underwent the baptism of spirit and fire, they can then see similarities in other biblical stories.

I don't want this to be long and drawn out so I'll just cut to the chase. When the kingdom comes near, the strongest aroma of oil will show up and basically follow you around. I know it's sounds strange but it is what it is, a spiritual, metaphysical happening. This phase of the path is quite long. Remember the story of Esther, how she was prepared with oils and fragrent smells for a whole year, until finally she got one night with the King.

For the wine being so important, I'm going to take you back to the wedding at Cana, where Jesus revealed his glory to his disciples by changing water into wine. The story itself has to be taken literally but it also has many thinly veiled spiritual elements to it. The jars that held the water were huge holding 20 to 30 gallons each and were used in ceremonial cleansing. John's baptism only cleanses the outside - Jesus' cleanses the inside. Changing water into wine you have a definate fermentation process with the bubbling and fizzing and that is what it feels like internally. Jesus himself describes this later, as the gift of living water that wells UP to eternal life. Eternal meaning perpetual, and something to experience here and now and not referring to the hereafter. And this is the first of two, miraculous signs that are given to the disciple to know you are on the narrow path that leads to life.

There is a whole lot more but this thread is about the oil and wine, and not about every single mystery, so I'll leave it at that.

I'm not one to talk much about Revelations because of the strict warning to not add to or take away from it but not hurting the oil and wine has to do with the rider of the black horse and locust coming up out of the bottomless pit to hurt those who do not have the seal of God in their forheads. The ones who are sealed have had the oil and wine.

Always remember what Jesus' mother said to the disciples at that wedding: "Do whatever he tells you." By doing so, you are keeping his commands.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by Myrtales Instinct]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

On the "famine" theory, the purpose of the scales would be measuring, which would be normal when things were being sold by weight.

My reason for supporting the "famine" theory is that I think John intends us to understand all four "Horsemen" as different aspects of a punitive disaster; the fact that the fourth horseman is accompanied by "plague, famine, and war" is simply a repetition of what the first three horsemen are doing.

This argument is based partly on the parallel with the four horsemen and chariots of Zechariah, and I laid out my explanations of that point in this second thread;
The Four Horsemen- Why?

Revelation is not about God saying "I will bring disaster to everybody".
He is saying "I will bring disaster to those who hurt my people"
That's what makes it a message of hope and salvation.

The salvation of God and the wrath of God are the same thing, seen from different angles.
Getting rid of evil things, is "salvation" from the viewpoint of those who have been suffering from them.It is "wrath" from the viewpoint of the evil things themselves.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by DISRAELI]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   

I'll give you a hint...

Look at it in terms of the "olives" and the "grapes" of prophecy.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
The way I interpet that phrase is;

I should not harm(drill\refine) the oil or Burn\Drink the wine.

The bible is a warning about the impact of drilling for oil, Not about religion,

IMAGINE IF;

Someone with sufficiient knowledge on where to drill is using it as a weapon against the masses to make it look like there is a GOD.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by rtcctr

The oil and wine in this case are consumable goods.

You may want to take another look at Revelation Chapter 9, where the abyss is unlocked and locust come down on the earth - to not destroy anything green but to torment those who don't have the seal of God on their foreheads.

In this phase of the end, there are only two groups of people, the ones who are sealed and the ones who are not. One is his treasured possession and the others didn't give a crap. The constant theme throughout Revelations is that the judgements keep coming because the people still don't make the connection to repent.

"Repent and do the things you did at first." Rev 2:5

"Repent therefore!" Rev 2:16

"I have given her time to repent of her immorality, but she is unwilling." Rev 2:21

"...unless they repent of their ways." Rev 2:22

"So be earnest, and repent." Rev 3:19

"the rest of mankind that were not killed by these plagues STILL DID NOT REPENT of the work of their hands;" Rev 9:20

"Nor did they repent of their murders....." Rev 9:21

"....but they REFUSED TO REPENT and glorify him." Rev 16:9

"....but they REFUSED TO REPENT..." Rev 16:11

"The LORD is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is PATIENT with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." 2 Peter 3:9

Two groups of people, the ones sealed and the ones who are not. The ones who repented and the ones who did not. The ones who receive the anointing and the ones who do not.

I can honestly see how you are making a connection between the Gulf disaster and the end of times as we know it and oil, but in this case it's the wrong type of oil. Wheat, barley, oil and wine - consumable goods.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by Myrtales Instinct]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I believe it has a few meanings and don't wish to delve into deeper matters but I certainly was lead to the amazingly powerful qualities of pure unadulterated essential oils by these scriptures, one example- see history of three thieves oil which I believe was recorded to British military archives during the plauge? need to study up though some can cause blindness and death, have not had a sickness at all not once in @4 years now
and wine in military survival manuel I have on CD that states wine(and I think it said red?) is one of the greatest water purifications known, even Paul mentions wine mixed with water as being good for the stomach and I would guess back then was pretty important even Jesus first miracle eh?

another tidbit-****local ONLY honey*** has saved my life on a temporary kind of level-lol, have used @4-5 years now and not one case of allergies although missed a few weeks and had two days of start up but took immediately mixed and with higher doses. mixed meaning I normally keep @three varying **local** kinds and alternately take average of 3 tspns a week total and now looky what we got here-

Eat honey, my son, for it is good-Prov24.13

If you find honey, eat just enough— too much of it, and you will vomit.-Prov25.16

you should see the studies on cures/health from milk

[edit on by No King but Jesus]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Hurt\harm\burn the oil or wine,

They shalt not repent\stop hurting\harming\burning oil and wine.

Think about it.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Hurt\harm\burn the oil or wine,

They shalt not repent\stop hurting\harming\burning oil and wine.

Think about it.

There's nothing to think about because he's referring to olive trees and grape vines. The olive oil was used in the temple for the Menorah and nothing else is allowed to be used to light it. It's also used to anoint people.

Ya have to have the olive oil.

new topics

top topics

join