It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plastic paradise: Scientists plan to turn Pacific Ocean waste into a floating island

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Plastic paradise: Scientists plan to turn Pacific Ocean waste into a floating island

www.dail ymail.co.uk

An island the size of Hawaii made entirely from plastic bottles could become the hottest postcode on earth, and is part of an incredible environmental vision for the future.

CGI images show how a team of Dutch scientists plan to take 44 million kilos of plastic waste currently bobbing around in the Pacific Ocean and transform it into Recycled Island.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/7/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Whilst I was looking at a thread started by an ATS member - concerning the Plastic Garbage dump in the pacific ocean........ here's their thread....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I also came across this little nugget....

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Is this what is really being planned ?????

I remember reading on another thread a few weeks ago about a 'floating Island for the powers that be'

Well here you are ..... Have a LOOK at this article and picture !!!!

www.dail ymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/7/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Great, could put all the elite on 1 floating island and then i hope some trigger happy country nukes them all

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I wonder if this plastic beach was inspired by the gorillaz.

At least they are doing something somewhat productive with garbage.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
If the dispersant gets there from the spill there wont be any island

It will be dissolved.

or could it be like waterworld?

[edit on 8-7-2010 by jazz10]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Well, that's a creative use of trash and a way to turn something bad into something relatively "better." The air in a movie theater they built here on top of an old landfill here still smells bad at times though. Maybe they'll have better luck.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Reminds me of Gorillaz new cd - Plastic Beach.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
plastic is made from oil if i am right well find a way to make the oil in the gulf leak turn to plastic when it comes out of the broken well .
then we can create a real island.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

you may want to make that point a little clearer

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
wonderful, the first artifical floating ocean garbage pile yuor going to be encouraged to throw garbage onto/into* god are our leaders getting dumber and greedier. wonder how much tax money this is gunna cost us in the long run.
what a lesson were teaching everyone and our youth...go ahead kids! use the bathroom and toss yuor bottles off the side of the boat! the ocean likes that!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Excellent, so how about once this island is put in place and insured that we set it ablaze. I bet that would fuel the green houses gasses at a rapid pace.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
The world needs to take a serious look at prioritizing its use of plastic. Some unfortunately has become critical and some even necessary, but sheesh do we really need to be using so much? Never mind throwing it into the ocean?

[edit on 7/8/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Dont forget, BPA can leek out of plastics. Ive seen coffee bottles we sell in out store, that are BPA free

BPA can contaminate local fish groups swimming near and under the island, and spread it from thier. think about it.
They must not have enough money to clean the mess up or something.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I just find it AMAZING.. Israel can have hundreds of milliojns of our tax money, recently dubia was given tons o money tax payers expense...yet they dont want to donate, send much less money to clean up an environmental disaster* what ive been taught all these years, was to keep things clean* on the streets ect. lets call it basic sanitation. so their teaching us now, to simply not care and go ahead n let chemicals go free into the water systems and land.
i deeply re question the purpose of recycling at this point now,.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
They already have public, released solutions to this mess.

If one excludes patents and academic/corporate worlds, there were

Daniel Burd from Canada and Tseng I-Ching from Taiwan.

They discovered more species of bacteria that can degrade plastic fast.

Both were high school students.

greendig.net/2-kids-discover-plastic-eating-microbes
www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/blogs/high-school-girl-discovers-styrofoam-eating-bacterium

new topics

top topics

join