It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US state launches wine vending machines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   
I am terribly sorry if this has already been posted, but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Whilst this doesn't appear to be NWO related, it is big brother freaky.

US state launches wine vending machines

* July 08, 2010 8:47PM

PENNSYLVANIA has introduced the United States' first vending machines for wine.

All you have to do is swipe your driver's licence, look into a surveillance camera and blow into a breath sensor.

Pennsylvania's complicated liquor laws do not allow wine to be sold on supermarket shelves. Instead, the state is selling wine in high-tech "kiosks" in two grocery stores.

Critics say the machines are overly complicated and have overtones of Big Brother. They also express concern about sales to minors.

But many customers say they appreciate the convenience of having wine and groceries in the same place.

State officials say the kiosks could be placed in 100 supermarkets in the coming months.

Read more: www.news.com.au...

www.news.com.au...

edit: what's next ? dna samples to buy ordinary groceries ? Maybe to check if you are able to consume that level of fat / carbs / sodium ?

Also, I love how it reads .. 'all you have to do'

[edit on 8-7-2010 by ppk55]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Why don't they just cop themselves on and allow the "Grocery Store" to sell Wine?

The Big Brother crap is the government treating people like children and saying "No, you can't by alcohol in the same shop as your Groceries".

Its pretty ridiculous lol

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
This is a testament how nigh impossible it is for a government to repeal a law. Even a wholly pointless law.

It's much easier to invent some bizarre virtual bar tender and bend the law to the breaking point by claiming selling from a kiosk I. The market is not actually selling from the market than it is to just repeal the stupid law.

Never let your government pass a law. Any law. They rarely ever go away and eventually it'll bite you in the ass. Stupid inconvenience is the best case scenario. A life in prison or on some "list" is the worst.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:02 AM
link   
This makes me miss Nevada. Go to the grocery store, pick up milk, eggs and a bottle of Jack. Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms really is a conviencence store in Nevada!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

They can't repeal it because the voters don't want them to repeal it.

They strike down some old law concerning liquor, and next thing you know, there is a campaign advert saying "Congressmen So-in-so wants your family to GET DRUNK at the super market! Vote for me, instead; you deserve a congressman who isn't an ALCOHOLIC."

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ppk55

Laws like this are crazy! There are some dry counties in Mississippi, so people just drive to the next county over and get what they want.

Some parishes in Louisiana, do not even allow beer to be sold on Sunday, so everyone just stocks up on Saturday.

It's just like illegal substances, if people want to get them they will find away, or buy mass quantities when they want to.

Antiquated laws need to be done away with!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

You say the "voters dont want to" then give the completely absurd yet wholly real example of the exaggerated smear ad.

All too real.

Which is why I am not a fan of voting or voters. They're all morons. Living life like it's high school and treating the selection of representatives like it's a popularity contest for fun.

Perhaps rather than saying "dont let your governments pass any laws" it would be more to the root of the problem if I said "dont let some other asshat run your life for you."

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
If it's any consolation, we can't buy alcohol from any supermarket in Australia. The supermarket usually owns a liquor store right next to it. Crazy.

It's the big brother aspect of this that worries me the most, breath samples, ID, and a camera you stare into .. what the ?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ppk55

It's the big brother aspect of this that worries me the most, breath samples, ID, and a camera you stare into .. what the ?

You know, pointing this out is important, because could anybody really be interested in using this vending machine, based on your quote above, alone?

I sure as heck, don't mind showing ID if I purchase alcohol, and hope that it stops underage drinking when it is verified for everyone, but, a liquor store does not record your pertinent information. The just look at your birth date. Where does this data from the vending machine end up, is what everyone should be concerned with! Also, what if a drunk person uses the machine? Does it only refuse to sell, or does it notify law enforcement?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

I sure as heck, don't mind showing ID if I purchase alcohol, and hope that it stops underage drinking when it is verified for everyone, but, a liquor store does not record your pertinent information. The just look at your birth date. Where does this data from the vending machine end up, is what everyone should be concerned with! Also, what if a drunk person uses the machine? Does it only refuse to sell, or does it notify law enforcement?

Last time I bought alcohol, about 6 years ago, it was from one of those state liquor stores. Already suspicious. State liquor store? It was some wine for a dinner party I was attending.

Anyway, when I got up the register I saw the clerk take the license from the customer ahead of me and swipe it in some card reader then all this info popped up on the screen including the photo.

I left the wine on the counter and walked out.

Havent bought any alcohol since.

There's less personal intrusion and info collection when buying gun.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ppk55

Star and Flag, Aussie friend!

I am from Pennsylvania, the state in question. Our liquor laws are really messed up.

You can NOT buy a 6-pack of beer at a grocery store.
You CAN buy a 6-pack at a restaurant that is licensed to sell alcoholic beverages or a bar, BUT you can't buy more than two six packs. You can NOT buy wine or liquor for TAKE-OUT at these establishments.

If you want to buy more than two six-packs of beer at one time, you must go to a licensed BEER DISTRIBUTOR!

If you want to buy wine or liquor, you must go to the Pennsylvania Wine and Spirits store. This is a state-run entity that is the only source for wine and liquor. Even the bars and restaurants must get their wine and liquor through this entity.

Recently, several select supermarkets has Wine and Spirits Shoppes built into their locations, but the consumers are still purchasing their wine and liquor through the state run entity.

That is just a basic run-down of some of the laws regarding alcohol in our fine state. It can be a bit confusing.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Anyway, when I got up the register I saw the clerk take the license from the customer ahead of me and swipe it in some card reader then all this info popped up on the screen including the photo.

Yikes! Never knew this was happening, in New Hampshire, none the less! I would not let my license be swiped in this way, either.

I do know in Mississippi, you can't buy anything but beer at a grocery store. Otherwise, you have to go to a liquor store. When I bought some wine last time, they guy rang it up, and I said, no tax? It was rung up at the same price as on the shelf. He said they buy the liquor from the state, and the taxes are already included, so this might be how it is in NH, too. the prices in Miss, are also very high. I must look over 21 though...LOL, because I'm never asked for proof of age.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Yikes! Never knew this was happening, in New Hampshire, none the less! I would not let my license be swiped in this way, either.

I was in CT when this happened. Dont know what buying liquor in NH is like since Ive never bought any here. That experience in CT was enough to keep me out of liquor stores for the rest of my life.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by Kaytagg

You say the "voters dont want to" then give the completely absurd yet wholly real example of the exaggerated smear ad.

All too real.

Which is why I am not a fan of voting or voters. They're all morons. Living life like it's high school and treating the selection of representatives like it's a popularity contest for fun.

Perhaps rather than saying "dont let your governments pass any laws" it would be more to the root of the problem if I said "dont let some other asshat run your life for you."

It's definitely difficult. I don't envy those in power.

The government is too stupid to run our lives and we're too stupid to run our own. What do we do?

(I suppose you could substitute a variety of words for "stupid"; selfish, etc.)

Next thing you know, there will be government run marijuana kiosks floating off the coast in international waters.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by Mayson]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
"All you have to do is swipe your driver's licence, look into a surveillance camera and blow into a breath sensor."

All this intrusion for a bottle of cheap wine which probably tastes no better than your urine? No thanks! No doubt the information will be used to keep track of how many alcohol related purchases a person makes. Probably will get tied into being denied health care in the future.

What do you expect from PA? This is a state populated with four generations of miserable human beings due to having no option other than being dead end employees like steel workers and coal miners.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I'm from PA too and our liquor laws are bizarre, which is weird because in my opinion we make some of the best beers in the country.

I wish the article would explain what the overtones of Big Brother are a little more. There's the idea that it will log everyone who buys wine from this thing, but that could be done anyway with people who pay for booze with credit cards. Otherwise, it just does everything a clerk at a beer or liquor store would do.

The thing that seems really strange is the idea of selling it from a kiosk/vending machine. I'm guessing a big reason for PA's laws is so kids don't see alcohol in supermarkets. I'm sure there are also religious reasons, but it's not like people don't know about alcohol, they just don't see it in front of them. So, instead of introducing alcohol into a grocery store in a mundane way, as some have done, they decide to build a big strange machine which only adults can use. That's going to draw more attention from kids than bottles on a shelf.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaulGoodman
I'm from PA too and our liquor laws are bizarre, which is weird because in my opinion we make some of the best beers in the country.
I am sure a few will argue that point. I must say that Yuengling brews some good mass produced beverages.

I bet it would surprise some people to know that Sam Adams is brewed in Fogelsville, PA.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Reply to post by SaulGoodman

CT and MA make a whole lot of guns yet their gun laws are downright absurd. Go figure.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ppk55

Minors will probably still manage to bypass the system and get the wine anyway if there is no store attendant. People manage to get free stuff from vending machines all the time, just look it up on Youtube.

new topics

top topics

join