It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help a file called .avcrc

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Anyone ever heard of it? It started showing up on my pc at work running windows xp. I did a search and there are 2341 files on my comp with that name. It is replicating itself very rapidly and has attached to all my programs, run commands, etc. I went online but could not find anything about it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

[Edited on 11-3-2003 by K_OS]

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 12:46 PM
link   
what exactly are you doing when you notice it? and where is it replicating? system folders I'm assuming. but are you doing anything in particular when you can notice it? do you see an unfamiliar process running?
google turned out a bible group in California, the Bible Groups are on your computer!! just kidding.
sounds like a worm, get an anti virus program to take care of it. you can try Nortons, but I didnt see anything on their site about it

[Edited on 11-3-2003 by Grommer]

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I thought that was funny too when I checked google
I thought oh no I am being invaded by a California Bible group.
I'm running an up to date Norton Anti- virus and it isn't picking it up.
Using Hackman dissasembler this is the info I can extract from it:

AVCRCDB-1.04
Anatomy.exe Calc.exe Compare.exe Crypt.exe CStats.exe Dates.exe Prop.exe Sysinfo.exe Tables.exe Viewer.exe HackPM.exe Updater.exe isreg32.dll

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I went to start, all programs, and went to photoshop folder and there it was .avcrc. I tried to delete it and I checked another folder and it was there too.
So I did a search and found 2341 copies. It is in every folder in my computer.
I can't see it running in any of my processes unless it is running under a normal name like explorer, etc.

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 01:10 PM
link   
encrpyt the #er render it useless

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I can't find out where it is originating from??

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 01:26 PM
link   
take thetower block to a comp place if you cant do it altho if u have illeagle files on it they will find out

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 01:28 PM
link   
look in your startup options and see if there's something odd in there. Sounds like a pretty nasty worm for sure. If you see something odd in your startup programs, or processes that are running disable it. Downloaded any pics or mp3's lately?

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 01:29 PM
link   
or vids etc etc could be of anything

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 01:38 PM
link   
The only thing that I have ever downloaded onto it is Seti@home, I use either the mac or linux comps for all downloads. It acts like it came in on its own, which I have never heard of a virus doing.
I may have to take it somewhere...no worries, nothing illegal on it.
I tried to contact symantec but they wanted $29.95 to speak to me. What a rip.
The only odd thing that I can find is that it says I have 4 Internet explorers open.

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 01:46 PM
link   
could be any new disks or sumthing like that def sundsa like worm orvirus just pray it dosnt eraze anything

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 01:46 PM
link   
do you actually have 4 IE windows open? if not you can close the other ones as it probably is part of this worm. If you want a no hassle answer, I'd say reformat the drive, as you will likely spend hours on the phone with Symantec. Throw XP back on there, do a thorough reformat and you're good to go. You might be able to backup your much needed files without actually copying the virus. good luck

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 01:55 PM
link   
if u can locae were u think it originated frm reformating si a goodi dea ifyour burn on to a cd all theinportant stuff and have back up disks andmaybe codes to re install ?

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 01:59 PM
link   
sorry about bad typing my keyboard is all messedup

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Are you sure that's the file name - or is it just the extension?

You could go to Symantec site and scan for viruses -
Try this LINK

That will at least allow you to asses if and what virus you have. There are a few trojans going around at the moment that you may have been hit with. If it's your work PC like you mentioned is it your employers PC? Is there a help desk you can call? I'd spend that $29 on first purchasing antivirus software.

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Ok I think I have got it taken care of now. I had to reboot in linux and erase all files named .avcrc. As of now it hasn't resurfaced.
Thanks for all the ideas. I don't know if this is a new virus or what but I was unable to locate it on symantec. When I checked the properties of the file it was named .avcrc thats it.
It could have been a worm or a trojan...I don't know but I do know I couldn't delete it from Windows. It said can't find something...unable to delete.

By the way did I mention I switched to Mac at home.
OS X is pretty nice. Safari could be the best web browser out there. It was kinda embarrassing when my little 350 mhz imac with 512 ram was destroying my 1.4 gighz 512 ram pc. Now the PC is for my daughters games only.
Again thanks everyone, if it comes back again I'll let ya know.
P.S. Bob, sad but true I am the help desk. LOL...Small newspaper, usually I can correct 99% of the problems and I am running Norton on all the comps here, PC's and Macs, Is there a better antivirus software?
thanks everyone

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 03:27 PM
link   
For all practical purposes I am also the help desk.

I like Norton myself. I have used CA's Inoculan (because of a partnership with CA) - but that was 2nd rate, imho.
None the less, an odd occurance you had there K_OS.
I have a linux PC (Redhat 8) sitting next to me and want to get a Mac soon.

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Well it came back on April 14, I have again deleted it. I recieved a few emails from people that are having the same problem. I have searched the web trying to locate info on the file but I am unable to find anything.
It certainly acts like a worm, but I can't seem to find its source. It seems to cycle about every 27, or 28 days.
If anyone has any more info on it, please tell me.
Thanks!!

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 08:01 AM
link   
did they also have seti, those that has simular problems?

posted on Apr, 25 2003 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I had SETI, I removed it when I deleted the files this last time. I don't know if it was the cause or not, I will have to wait and see if it comes back.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join