It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just had what felt like a moderate earthquake in Anchorage.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
If you use GEE you can hone in on local stations and watch the shocks come in on the real-time seismos

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
My map isn't showing that one yet. lol watching a flower.... That is going to be on hella of a bloom when she blossoms! Hope it stays quiet for you for now anyway.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by yigsstarhouse

The 1.8 is on this list..

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I just check its was small - 2.5

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Sorry for the name typo earlier... What exactly is GEE? Have a link or is it a program?

BTW, The Washington one was about a hour prior to Alaska and it was only a 2.3 if I recall correctly

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I just check its was small - 2.5

Ahh, that's why - I thought you meant there was a big one

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
08.07.2010 - 03:15:48 5.2 North America USA Alaska Willow
08.07.2010 - 03:15:47 5.0 North America USA Alaska Willow

From RSOE

Looks as if there were two quakes? 1 second from each other - is that possible experts?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I need to do that. Believe it or not, I actually got a degree in Geology in 1975. Never used it or worked at it since. About all it gives me is I understand what people are talking about. My interests are more in the line of Mineralogy and Prospecting.

The features up here are awesome to see. The whole place is like a textbook.

I've seen GEE mentioned and I'll have to look at that tomorrow.

That same area over there seems to have at least one earthquake on the list every day. We feel one here about three times a year I'd guess. Many I don't feel but hear about them.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I saw it mentioned on another thread and I thought it was bigger too until I looked. I shouldn't have mentioned it actually!

link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I would think its just a case of a clock not being synchronized. The quake was quite long in duration. About 12 to 15 seconds I think.

link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

That's what I thought as well, but Im guessing that was maybe them just adjusting it since it was a min later? If not, that might not be good news.

link   
reply to post by yigsstarhouse

Here's a link for GEE (Global Earthquake Explorer) It's very good - and you can upload other station groups. Probably best to just play around with the stations listed, first, until you get the hang of it.

Download it. Go to Realtime events and click on the stations you want to monitor, then "load realtime date" and click on seismo's and you're away...

Download: www.seis.sc.edu...

Additional info on GEE from NASA: gcmd.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I see - thanks for the explanation!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
08.07.2010 - 03:15:48 5.2 North America USA Alaska Willow
08.07.2010 - 03:15:47 5.0 North America USA Alaska Willow

From RSOE

Looks as if there were two quakes? 1 second from each other - is that possible experts?

Would really need to see co-ordinates, but I think that perhaps the length of the quake means it was one but recorded as two. I'm not an expert, just an avid amateur

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Yes, Blaine, we have hundreds of quakes a week here in New Zealand, most go undetected by us mere mortals. The GEOnet service here only lists those that are "felt" unless you delve further into their datasets.

New Zealand quake monitoring: www.geonet.org.nz...

Also interesting to note that USGS doesn't report our quakes unless they are quite large.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Someone is still working on the Alaska 5.3 because the depth keeps changing!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

I did not know that area had that many quakes. Sounds a bit like here. I'll have to watch the sites more often. This is the first time I can recall where I actually think there are enough bigger quakes to be unusual. Does it seem that way to you?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
RSOE does that all the time when USGS revises magnitudes. It's just one quake, with a revised magnitude. Don't go by RSOE for accuracy, there's no reason the Hungarian government would be a better source for US quakes.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
This is a wee bit off topic, but while looking at the earthquake map I also see other things that have happened around the world. Do you ever wonder about the "Epidemic Hazards?" I mean isn't that something that can possibly spread far and wide?
For example this is showing in Canada for now and it says one person injured, but really no other information.

Full-screen
Epidemic Hazard

Event date: 06.07.2010 03:29:05
State: Province of Saskatchewan

Is it just me or do people really not just not notice these things or care or what?
It doesn't even give any information on just What the Epidemic may be.
Again sorry if it is a bit off topic, but since we are here yackin anyway....

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

.2 miles? That is pretty shallow is it not? They may have been shook up pretty good.

Is the USGS one of the better places to look?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join