It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Find Surprises In Deep Atlantic Ocean

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Scientists have found at least 10 new species near the sea floor , in an area of the Atlantic Ocean that has never been seen before .

Some pretty cool looking creatures there . Go check out the pics .

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
wow...excellent find...

Amazing quality pictures.
10 more reasons to not drill into the ocean

S+F

love and light

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Fascinating. We can reach space easily but we don't know our home as well as we think we do.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Fascinating. We can reach space easily but we don't know our home as well as we think we do.

"That's because space is easy, IT'S EMPTY" Underwater you're dealing with thousands of pounds, of pressure per square inch
"

A paraphrase from one of the songs that I heard lately , but it suits this topic well

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by silverfox6

" 10 more reasons to not drill into the ocean "

Excellent point . Couldn't have said it better myself .

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
They forgot to mention how these new species will be killed because of the oil spill / Corexit poisoning of our ocean

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Yea , it still amazes me that we can probe deep into space while there remains a wealth of new species to be found right here at home .

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Bonified Ween

That is a terrible thought , although I do recall reading something here on ATS about a recently discovered type of fish that was being threatened because of the oil disaster .

Let's hope this doesn't happen . That would be a tradegy.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by okbmd]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Wow, absolutely beautiful - fell deeply for the blue glow worm. We need to keep the oceans clean for all the sea life we already know about and those that we recently have discovered. Thank you - with great hopes of more awesome discoveries such as these.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
So there really is a spaghetti monster.

Beautiful creatures. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I thought numbers 5 & 10 were fascinating , the sea-cucumbers .

The acorn worm in photo number 1 was also very intriguing , in that , there is speculation that it may be a 'transitional' species that falls between invertebrates and animals with backbones .

That would be an awesome find for science . Then again , these are awesome finds regardless .

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing. I think the 6th picture looks like a brain, very cool.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
The first two look like a floating uterus.

Another one looked like a floating Eustachian tube.

But that starfish...that is crazy. Another instance of fractal geometry encoded into biological design.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I believe this was on ATS yesterday already: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Nonetheless, beautiful and interesting find.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thill

Originally posted by intrepid

"That's because space is easy, IT'S EMPTY" Underwater you're dealing with thousands of pounds, of pressure per square inch
"

A paraphrase from one of the songs that I heard lately , but it suits this topic well

sure its empty...just a few planets, stars, asteroids, comets, black holes, space debris, gamma bursts, CME's, and probably a billion other things we dont even know of yet.

at least in your submarine theres nothing thats going to destroy your ship. you just got to hope it doesnt break down under water...then again...same goes for space too.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

When it comes to sea floor or simply sea for what matters we haven't seen much actually. We know Mars way better than we know the oceans of Earth it self.

The way they put it, it sounds like they already knew the entire ocean while in fact we know 20% of it at best.

Have they managed to find where the giant squids live yet?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silicis n Volvo
at least in your submarine theres nothing thats going to destroy your ship. you just got to hope it doesnt break down under water...then again...same goes for space too.

How can we know that for sure?

Just because we know how things work and what to expect up to a certain level while underwater doesn't automatically mean that the same rules will apply to the bit we don't.

Neither one is easy. But I have to agree that investing so much into space while almost completely neglecting our seas is kinda unfair and stupid.

Perhaps by knowing our planet a little better would allow us to better comprehend the universe.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

And at least 3 species die every hour because Mankind has
destroyed their home or due to pollution

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
My apologies to airspoon . He posted this several hours before I did .
The search function showed no results , just depends on how you word your search , as to whether it turns up any hits .

Airspoon's thread can be found here : www.abovetopsecret.com...

Mods , feel free to close this thread .

top topics

join