It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats digging harder than ever for dirt on Republicans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The Democratic Party is moving faster and more aggressively than in previous election years to dig up unflattering details about Republican challengers. In House races from New Jersey to Ohio to California, Democratic operatives are seizing on evidence of GOP candidates' unpaid income taxes, property tax breaks and ties to financial firms that received taxpayer bailout money.

Renacci's campaign said the candidate did not believe he had tax liabilities for a trust fund and eventually paid all that he owed. A spokesman for Harmer said criticizing him for the money he lawfully earned is a "severe twist of the facts." Runyan's campaign said his actions were legal.

Jon Vogel, executive director of the DCCC, said Democrats are merely pointing out that some Republican recruits in competitive House races are "flawed candidates."

He added, "We have made this election a choice. . . . They're trying to run this national message in part about fiscal discipline, but they've recruited a number of candidates not credible to carry that message."

Opposition research has been a part of political campaigns for decades, but the 2010 cycle is different. In many states, Republicans have steered clear of candidates with long political track records -- eschewing state representatives and veteran city council members who have cast thousands of votes ripe for scrutiny -- in favor of political outsiders. The top GOP recruits include several former professional sports stars, as well as doctors and businessmen.

Democratic leaders are trying to frame the November midterm elections not as a national referendum on the party in power but as local choices between two candidates.

"We can win the contrast, but not the referendum," Democratic strategist Steve Murphy said. "What is critical in this election cycle is for Democratic candidates to hold Republican candidates accountable for their views."

Some years you ride the wave, and other years you paddle your canoe," Democratic strategist Paul Begala said. "Democrats, they've got to paddle like hell. So what you do when you're paddling is, as the Republicans seek to nationalize, you localize and personalize."

Source: By Philip Rucker www.washingtonpost.com...
and of course the drudge report, so here comes all the lefties screaming about it's tainted and false.

All I have to say is, We all can see it, The Left wants to hold on to want they got and they'll do anything to accomplish that goal, much like the last election.

The Democrats are trying to dig up the dirt and having to really dig this time.
DEMOCRATS, Stay In The Trash, That's Where Your Policies Belong!

OK, MODS: Please move or remove as you see fit.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I hate "dirt" politics. Well, I hate politics.

Just the other day for a local election I saw a "dirt" commercial against a candidate. There wasnt a single policy or belief or position mentioned. Just black and white footage and scary music.

I keep waiting for the "Has anyone asked so and so where Kyron is?" commercials.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
I hate "dirt" politics. Well, I hate politics.

Just the other day for a local election I saw a "dirt" commercial against a candidate. There wasnt a single policy or belief or position mentioned. Just black and white footage and scary music.

I keep waiting for the "Has anyone asked so and so where Kyron is?" commercials.

Now wouldn't that be a bit of fresh air, some thing new and some thing to listen to.
You're absolutely correct, it has been dirt, dirt and more dirt. Their all dirty, tell me some thing NEW!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Because they're shaking in their boots. You don't need to be Nostradamus to realize they are all on their way out the door. I don't even think a "false flag" or crisis can save them at this point. Opinion is so polarized that they will simply be blamed for any and all negative events that take place between now and November. I'd even go so far as to say that if they resort to "dirt" politics that its going to back fire. They are simply proving that they are not capable of successfully campaigning on their own merits.

"They" and "their" president have betrayed the people too many times. I hope I'm not an anomaly, but this is the 1st time in my 23-years of voting that I've gotten excited about the upcoming November elections.

I'm pretty certain that you could produce "dirt" on any incumbent and any candidate. Its going to take a boat-load of dirt to get me to give a single vote to any incumbent. They all need to go.

First the goes the house, then the senate, then Barrack Hussein Obama's hands will be tied and we can eagerly await his exit.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
SIGH, YAWN.

Just MORE Republican PROPAGANDA and SUPREME NONSENSE.
They never cease their CHILDISH behaviors. SO Pathetic.

YAWN

SIGH

YAWN

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by BuffaloJoe

I don't believe you are an anomaly.
I also think there are many more like you and this statement from your post:

["They" and "their" president have betrayed the people too many times. I hope I'm not an anomaly, but this is the 1st time in my 23-years of voting that I've gotten excited about the upcoming November elections. end quote]

Keep the faith, vote with your head, not that Tingly Feeling Running Up Your Leg
like Baloney did.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by guohua]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Dig and spin, spin and dig. They all do it. Pointing out that one does it is doing your political system a disservice. One just becomes part of a broken machine.

Edit: Btw, isn't Obama from Kenya?

[edit on 7-7-2010 by intrepid]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Dig and spin, spin and dig. They all do it. Pointing out that one does it is doing your political system a disservice. One just becomes part of a broken machine.

Edit: Btw, isn't Obama from Kenya?

[edit on 7-7-2010 by intrepid]

Yes you're right, they all do it, But be truthful, who is more prevalent and more persistent at this tactic?
Who well send legions of private investigators and news paper reporters to your home to ask Joe and Mary Blow on the street what they think of you, or did you beat your wife or kids. The Democrats that's who.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

"We can win the contrast, but not the referendum," Democratic strategist Steve Murphy said. "What is critical in this election cycle is for Democratic candidates to hold Republican candidates accountable for their views."

This is the real concern of the Republicans. During the nomination process they tend to cater to the far right of their party. Once nominated they moderate their messages to gain moderate votes. The last thing they want is their opponent reminding the voters of the extreme stances they took to gain their parties nomination.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by guohua
Yes you're right, they all do it, But be truthful, who is more prevalent and more persistent at this tactic?
Who well send legions of private investigators and news paper reporters to your home to ask Joe and Mary Blow on the street what they think of you, or did you beat your wife or kids. The Democrats that's who.

If you believe that you are lost to the machine. The Repub's are as bad.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baloney
SIGH, YAWN.

Just MORE Republican PROPAGANDA and SUPREME NONSENSE.
They never cease their CHILDISH behaviors. SO Pathetic.

YAWN

SIGH

YAWN

Uhh . . . So you're saying the smear campaigns (which exist in reality) are "Republican propaganda," even though they are real? You're saying that when prominent Democrats accuse all Republicans of being racist, that is "Republican propaganda?" Sir, do you even live in reality? Or do you live in some fantasy land where you can ignore facts and remain ignorant? Silly little Democrat.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

[If you believe that you are lost to the machine. The Repub's are as bad.] end quote.
I'm not lost, I'm going to make changes, where as you sir or mama are just giving up and hoping for the best, like what? Hope and Change

Yes, We Can
, that was a bunch of crap and no one wanted to listen to reason.
You all went with that Tingly Feeling and that White Quilt Trip Crap.

Next we'll hear the old stand by, I voted for the lesser of two evils.
BULL SH$T.
He's done nothing! But you go ahead and give up on the MACHINE, I and some friends are trying to change it.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Well the Democrats have solid majorities in the Congress and the office of President.

With all the failure of the past 2 years, I don't think the Dems want to much attention on themselves.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Some times the dirt can't be swept under the rug.

www.monstersandcritics.com...

Former US congressman pleads guilty to terrorist conspiracy
Jul 8, 2010, 1:52 GMT

Washington - A former US congressman has pleaded guilty in connection with a terrorist financing conspiracy that sent money to al-Qaeda and the Taliban in Afghanistan, the US Justice Department said Wednesday.

Mark Deli Siljander, who represented Michigan in the House of Representatives from 1981-87 and was a delegate to the United Nations under president Ronald Reagan, pleaded guilty to acting as an agent for an Islamic charity with ties to international terrorism, according to Beth Phillips, US Attorney for the western district of Missouri.

Siljander was the last of five co-defendants in the case that involved the Islamic American Relief Agency (IARA) of Columbia, Missouri. IARA was shut down by the US government in 2004 for connections to terrorism.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by guohua
You all went with that Tingly Feeling and that White Quilt Trip Crap.

Next we'll hear the old stand by, I voted for the lesser of two evils.
BULL SH$T.
He's done nothing! But you go ahead and give up on the MACHINE, I and some friends are trying to change it.

Um dude, I'm Canadian. I see things as they actually are. Not what I'm told to think.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Jesus Christ man, some of you just seem completely politicaly brainwashed ....

""Democratic leaders are trying to frame the November midterm elections not as a national referendum on the party in power but as local choices between two candidates ""

Isn't that the freakin point of local elections ??

People who vote for their "side" are completely ridiculous, it's like politic's has become your religion, cause you've become ignorant as hell.

.. and when someone points out that your party is guilty of the same tactics, your response is " well they do it more "

What are we, in elementary school ???

No wonder were in the mess were in, with people like you manning the poles, .... and when it's time for the next election, you'll just close your eyes and pull on the " republican" or " democrat" lever.

They this, they that, you've all bought into the system they sold you. Because there are two party's you THINK you have a choice. You fight one perceived evil for the next one.

Congratulations, ..... you are working for THEM.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by IntastellaBurst]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

"Moooommmy! Joey says I'm a nerd!"
"Apologize to your sister, Joey"
"No, she IS a nerd"
"Am not"
"Are too"
"Am not"

Yawn. Just another case of the pot calling the kettle black, don't you think?
They ALL act like a bunch of little kids. Trouble is, the public falls for it everytime. We end up with personal mud fights rather than legitimate arguments over substance.

It is our fault for not demanding intellectual rigor and substantive debate. If the public buys it, we'll get it. Until then. . . .lowest common denominator.

new topics

top topics

join