It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army Unveils New Uniform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Army revealed on Monday a redesigned combat uniform with a digital camouflage pattern that looks strikingly different from soldiers' current battle dress uniforms.

It marks the first major change in the Army uniform since 1981, said Brig. Gen. James R. Moran, who modeled the uniform for reporters at the Pentagon. He said recruits will be issued the redesigned uniform starting October 2005, and the entire Army will be outfitted by December 2007.

Source

I haven't seen any mention of this on ATS before, so I figured I'd post something about it. Apparently it's going to be a universal uniform, to be used in urban, desert, and forest environments. It was designed to better fit over the new body armor being developed, and makes a lot of use of easy access zippers and velcro.

I was always partial to tiger-stripe camo, but hey if this is a better pattern and outfit then so be it.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 09:02 AM
link   
i cant see that being very camoflagey in the desert, but then again they must have tested there

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
You know, I've seen digital camo before, they're selling it as army surplus...

*shrug* It's a better camoflage to the human eye, so, uhh... yep they've been implementing it for a while now. It's just they haven't gotten it in stock. Really, if you look up "army digital camoflage" the first site you'll bring up is actually a surplus store for this, specifically. So go ahead, and get the army's new BDU before they do!

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by kuranrohaen
You know, I've seen digital camo before, they're selling it as army surplus...

*shrug* It's a better camoflage to the human eye, so, uhh... yep they've been implementing it for a while now. It's just they haven't gotten it in stock. Really, if you look up "army digital camoflage" the first site you'll bring up is actually a surplus store for this, specifically. So go ahead, and get the army's new BDU before they do!

Well... In the article it says that this digital camoflage has been in use by Marines for some time, but this is its first implementation in the Army. So the surplus uniforms you can buy are probably of the Marine variety. I'm not 100% sure though, just my speculation.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
This was actually discussed VERY recently. Here is the thread.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyarlathotep
This was actually discussed VERY recently. Here is the thread.

Oops I'm terribly sorry =/ I did a search for this before I posted, but for some reason I didn't find that thread. This thread can be closed if the mods want.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Digital camo? Does that mean microchip technology?

(i.e. the camo changes according to environment??)

-wD

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
Digital camo? Does that mean microchip technology?

(i.e. the camo changes according to environment??)

-wD

No. It means an image has been taken onto computer, pixellated and then printed onto fabric. The pixellated pattern is good at breaking up ones outline, so is used as camo.

new topics

top topics

join