It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 High Schoolers face 38 years in prison for Grade Change

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

A cyber-quest to improve grades resulted in a 17-page complaint and 69 felony counts against two California high school seniors — probably not the type of paperwork that'll get them into the Ivy League.

The scariest number of all is probably 38 — the number of years alleged cyber-hacker Omar Shahid Khan, 18, could face behind bars if convicted on all 69 charges he faces tied to alleged break-ins at Tesoro High School in Las Flores, Calif. His friend, Tanvir Singh, also 18, could face up to three years for four felony counts.

Their motive, according to prosecutors? To bulk up academic transcripts to make themselves more appealing to college admissions offices.

POLICE STATE USA!! this is unbelievably ridiculous... you have the rich and famous, the powerful and elite who , if even prosecuted for something, end up with a slap on the wrist. These two kids are facing 69 counts of felony and 38 years in prison... thats [*SNIP*] insane!!! you think their nationality has anything to do with it?? maybe, i hate to bring in the race card but considering the climate of society... THE LAW APPLIES TO THE LITTLE GUY, THE POOR AND DESTITUTE AND NOT TO THE RICH AND POWERFUL, UNDERSTAND?

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7/7/2010 by AshleyD]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
*sigh*

Yet again another injustice. Call me a pessimist, but I don't think there's any end in sight.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
in a state where vice and virtue are separated these actions can be viewed in either light. the act being a done deed is a crime in statute. how do proponents who disagree with this view acts committed and done that are against mandates of civil behavior. while some may complain that they are being treated harshly, i disagree.they have another opportunity in life as a non citizen who has unwritten rights, due to one of the offenders skill sets he can be a productive member of society even if the society he is a part does not accept him as a citizen.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Well, just goes to show ya, if your going to commit a crime, stick to rape and murder, much less backlash!

I haven't read the whole article, but after seeing their "names" I have a funny feeling bigotry is hiding somewhere.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
What I find amazing is how much trouble some people are willing to get into, just to get into college, it seems like the bar has been set so high, that now kids that want a higher education are willing to jeopardize their freedom for it. I mean what if the "new" grades would have lowered their tuition. It seems like a waste that kids that were actually looking into trying to better their education would have to go to such lengths.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

While I highly doubt either will face or be sentenced to the maximum, and after having read the full 2 page article, this wasn't just a mere single incident.

Multiple break-ins to various offices, repeated hacking into school computer systems, altering not only their grades but those of several other students, pilfering tests and passing the answers to several others via email.

This doesn't appear to be a "one time" prank but more a concerted and continued effort to fraudulently aide and/or assist both themselves and others grade point averages and overall perception with regards "intellectual prowess"

I do agree that the MAX sentence(s) would seem a bit harsh, BUT ... they not only jeopardized their own lives and educational futures but also those of several others at the same time.

To expect, suggest or feel that a mere "slap on the wrist" would seem appropriate "punishment" is ludicrous.

They not only Knew that what they were doing was illegal, it would seem they continued along all the while joking amongst themselves with regards the same. Yeah. We'll beat the system.

Now... I guess, they're soon to find themselves part of another system. The penal system.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Lol. Okay - well, what can I say to this. No wonder he couldn't get into Univ. not with D's and C's. Kid is a fool and tried to take the easy way out - got busted - and while I may think that a prison term of 38 years is ridiculous - I'm not holding this fool up to any misplaced higher standard, morality, or ideology, either.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

I agree. They will probably not be sentenced to 38 yrs for non-violent crimes. The 69 counts, however, do give the prosecution the upper hand in a plea bargain.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
im not defending their actions by any means. im simply pointing out that 2 high school vandals and hackers being charged with 69 counts of felony is .... well, as someone already said, better stick to rape and murder.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Were you (or anyone) able to find a list of all charges?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Okay, if this were really a police state? The kid wouldn't have had enough time to rack up 68 felony charges before he got caught.

This is messed up, obviously. The punishment for something like this should be much closer to a slap on the wrist; this sort of crime should call for a fine, maximum. Certainly not 38 years of prison.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
If you don't wanna do the time, don't do the crime.

Seriously, I see what you're saying about the number of years they're facing, however, this has nothing to do with a police state or anything like that.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Agreed Justice should be fair across the board .

There is the current GOLDEN RULE of today - HE who has the gold MAKES THE RULES .

But the Rich and politically connected always get the best justice MONEY CAN BUY ! You see it time and time again .

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Kids have attempted to change their grades and cheat to improve grades since the beginning of time. It is only natural to think that with our technology advancing and the ways to maintain information and records, the methods used to cheat will obviously change as well.

I can understand why the OP says this is an example of the police state. We have so many laws on the books now that cheating to improve your grades and get into a good collage is now punishable by some 30+ years in prison. This never would have happened to Zach Morris, Beaver, or Dennis the Menace and or any other fantasy character that has attempted to do the same thing.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Student breaks into the school's computer system : Felony charges and jail time

School's secret off-campus surveillance through students' webcams : standard operation, nobody gets charged with anything

???

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I think it is just sad that these two students had to do this. College admissions have gotten harder over the years so students can be under a lot of pressure when applying to get into schools. I am sure this had something do with it. These students could have taken another route, but I guess they thought this was their only option.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman
abcnews.go.com...

A cyber-quest to improve grades resulted in a 17-page complaint and 69 felony counts against two California high school seniors — probably not the type of paperwork that'll get them into the Ivy League.

The scariest number of all is probably 38 — the number of years alleged cyber-hacker Omar Shahid Khan, 18, could face behind bars if convicted on all 69 charges he faces tied to alleged break-ins at Tesoro High School in Las Flores, Calif. His friend, Tanvir Singh, also 18, could face up to three years for four felony counts.

Their motive, according to prosecutors? To bulk up academic transcripts to make themselves more appealing to college admissions offices.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7/7/2010 by AshleyD]

Not shocking. Two boys download Backtrack 4, then figure out how to use it. Expect more of this in the future.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Id rather see them in jail, rather than in 5 years one of these kids who lied about their grades, is selected to work on some big complicated project after college, and ends up miscalculating something and causes some huge problem. What stops them from trying to hack the college system and change their grades their too? Well the penalty is harsh and probably has something to do with their race.. But if you add all the cards up, why are you trying to lie about your grades and give yourself really good scores, (that screams infiltration to me) and what will stop them from trying to do the same thing in college? Or... its just some kids trying to lie about their grades to land a better job.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by alaskan
Student breaks into the school's computer system : Felony charges and jail time

School's secret off-campus surveillance through students' webcams : standard operation, nobody gets charged with anything

???

And the webcam is built into the laptop how convenient.... and you know why laptops are so nice?, cause you can take them with you lots of places... Privacy is a thing of the past, it disturbs me. No doubt there most any webcam can be hacked into as well and you could be watched on it when the webcam is plugged in, but not turned on.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
After reading the posts and reviewing the video, there are several questions that come to mind:
1) Would it matter if either did get into college and actually pulled the same thing? Would you want either of them working for you or representing you in any sort of business?
2) What if it was your child, whose has the talent and promise, but due to the actions of these 2 individuals, just had their acedemic life ruined, and any chance for them to get into a good school, get a scholarship or even have a chance of getting a good job, would it matter then?
In my opnion, what they did, is warrenting a harsh punishment, not only for the fact they committed fraud, but because they created a problem that affects the other students, those they helped and those they ruined.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join