It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

60 years old; short term memory failing

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I am 60 years old and in the early stages of dementia.

I joined this group to share the knowledge I have before "the lights go out" and I will no longer be able to remember my life at all: almost 37 years of research into the subject of consciousness; more than 32 years of research into the Dead Sea Scrolls & the Nag Hammadi Codices.

But all of that research is locked in my brain because it has been censored these past few decades by all of the official academic publications and the media.

I suspect that you young people can navigate this website quite easily; but, to someone my age, with failing short term memory, it is almost impossible to remember where one is, where one has been, and confused about how to get anywhere at all. (Maybe you should have a simplified website for the short-term memory impaired people. They still have wisdom and knowledge and are still people, believe it or not, even though their short-term memory is failing.)

It seems I have read a hundred rules of things I cannot do, of reason why people won't want to talk to me; and threats that, if I break any of those rules, I will be mercilessly banned for a reason I will probably never understand.

I have never encountered such an unfriendly website in my life.

I suspect I am probably breaking a dozen rules by even saying these things or trying to post this message.

And, if you want to ban me for that--I don't even know how I am supposed to write 20 messages anyway--go ahead.

If anything I have said is "txting"--whatever that is-- sorry.

Michael Cecil

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Hi and welcome to the boards. Looking forward to what you have to say and share. Don't worry too much about remembering all the "rules" it boils down to respectful communication. Though at times that can go out the window, when peoples temperatures rise. My grandmother is in the later stages of dementia. I wish she had taken the time to write more about the things she found important, before it was too late for her to do so.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Michael Cecil

Welcome aboard.

I was almost banned once. But I forgot why.

Anyhoo I'm looking forward to reading your contributions to the boards. Take it easy we all have to follow some rules in life right? I followed many rules in my life. Some I think were meant to be broken. So I bent them like a pretzel

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
he, we need you....you know about the scrolls....which they hide from the world....i have a remedy from hulda clark's book about dementia....get any form of wormwood or wormwood black walnut complex....it's at the natural store and cheap....it helps a bunch in like 1 hour....
and no hurry on the 20 threads....just tell us and have fun reading us.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Unfortunately, it's like it was when I was growing up. All of us kids would get in trouble for something 1 kid had done. Same premise here. The rules had to be made because so many ignoramouses (my word for them) were on here starting crap.

So, if you stick around long enough, you'll see that the majority of folks here on ATS are indeed cordial and very smart. Hope you do stay a while... I'd very much like to read your story.

I'm sorry about your dementia. You may find some topics here on Alternative meds that may help you fight that awful disease. But I think it's really cool that you want to document what you've studied all these years. ATS members will likely appreciate your knowledge

Welcome to ATS

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

relax and enjoy it. It's actually easy to deal with once you get the hang of it.

Please write as much as you wish to and tell someone where you wrote it at. Your loved ones will want to read your work later, and you might need a memory jog every now and then, so you can look back on what you have done, and remember. I hope that you are able to find some help with the dementia. My grandfather had it along with Alzheimers before he died. He had a truck load of knowledge that I wasn't ready for beck then but would pay most any price for now. Just do me a favor, don't waste time better spent, apologizing for not remembering something. He would get a brief few moments of his mind back and spend the whole time crying and apologizing for not remembering people or things he said. Life is way to short. Enjoy all of it.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Michael Cecil
I joined this group to share the knowledge I have before "the lights go out" and I will no longer be able to remember my life at all: almost 37 years of research into the subject of consciousness; more than 32 years of research into the Dead Sea Scrolls & the Nag Hammadi Codices.

Wow. If that's true I really look forward to seeing what you have to say. Lots of people would be very interested in you knowledge so please share.

As far as the worries about being banned, you have to behave pretty badly to accomplish that. Sorry about the 20 post rule but it was necessary to keep people from joining just to post a sales pitch or to promote their own agenda but feel free to comment in this or any other discussion on the site. The 20 posts will come quickly enough and there are no restrictions as far as contacting staff members.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS, and sorry to hear about your dementia.

I am glad you decided to come and share your knowledge with us while you can, and I look forward to reading your posts.

And the rules are not so bad. As someone else said, they are very common sense, and you will likely not have any trouble following them, even if you forget what they are. The moderators here are very good at what they do, and fair, and they can usually tell between a mistake and someone being abusive, and they generally act accordingly.

Enjoy ATS.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Welcome aboard.

Don't give up on your mind. We live in a world where heavy metals are in our food and in the air but your body is a miracle in action. Most heavy metals can pass the blood brain barrier and over time can retard mental faculties. The fact that this process occurred means it can be reveresed as well.

Detox from Heavy Metals Here is a start to get you on the path to recovery.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Hi Michael, I just wote you a long message, hit the wrong button and it vanished,
And I forgot what I wrote too. duh!

Just found this though and thought it might interest you.

Snacking on nuts and seeds 'could keep Alzheimer's at bay'
Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
hello and welcome to the site. Sorry for the confusion it has created. You without doubt will be a valuable member.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I look forward to your contributions. I'm sure you'll do just fine. Anyone capable and willing to engage in civil discourse will have little trouble here. My guess is, you'll come to appreciate the "rules" which you'll find do much more to encourage discussion than suppress it.

If there's anything staff can ever do for you, feel free to message one of us via the U2U message function or Complaint/Suggestion function available through the member tools dropdown button.

After you've made 20 posts, you can start your own thread, or U2U message any other member. Until then, you can reply to any thread, or U2U message any staff member.

I know it can be a daunting navigational task for a new member. Hang in there. We'll help out if you need us.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Mmmmm...I'm with ZROTH on this one...before you simply surrender to dementia you should seriously consider alternative medicines...today's medical professionals typically have two options in their medical toolbox: 1) drugs, 2) surgery - it's very rare when you find a doctor who will consider natural remedies - and you can't blame them because if there's no medical research into a natural remedy then they don't have any foundation to stand on in giving it to you...but that doesn't mean that there aren't any natural remedies.

So, if I were you, I'd be using my time to dig fast and furiously through the Internet for alternative medicines for dementia...and, of course, you have to be very, very careful because there are a lot of false claims from people who just want to sell you their “miracle cure.”

Nevertheless, spend your energies trying to find alternatives. See if you can find research papers from medical studies...don't give up and don't take this lying down!

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Hello there. Wanted to join in, in welcoming you to ATS. If you've been reading here for a while, then you know how interesting it can be.

I look forward to seeing you on the boards.

And like somebody else said, after a while you will come to appreciate most of the rules. Hang around ---- you'll see why.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS. As a new member myself, I thought the twenty post rule was a bit harsh but those posts passed by rather quickly. If you want to simplify things, just post on this thread, say hello to a few people and those posts will be gone before you know it.

A little help here:

txting or text speak is a form of communicating that contains abbreviations and other short cuts. Someone may post "R U Giong 2 skool " instead of "are you going to school?"

U2U is something you will have the option of doing after you have your twenty posts. U2U stands for User to User, this is basically a way to have a private chat with another member of ATS.

Have fun on the forums, I look forward to reading your posts. One last thing, don't be afraid to ask questions.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I am 41. I am also losing my damned mind. I had blood clots in my lungs in 2007, and my short term memory has never fully returned. I am blessed to still work and have a wife that handles the things I forget, but I, too, rarely post here. I love the site but am afraid of saying the wrong thing in the wrong place and getting kicked off for good. Hang in there, friend. I would certainly like to hear more of what you have to say.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:45 PM
link   
My dear new friend Michael.

It's so nice to have another wise elder join our community.

You and I are very close in age. I am either 62 or 63. It is not important to anyone but the Federal government.

I will be most happy to help you if you may wonder if what you might post is
permissible.

To be honest I did not read the Terms and Conditions when I joined.

I was right to figure that the rules are normal everyday common sense and manners.

You will be fine and am sure you will be an asset to our group.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I am either 62 or 63. It is not important to anyone but the Federal government.

Priceless!!!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

YOU SAID:

Are you a professor or researcher... or is/was your experience from
the vantage point of a person -> such-as-myself ...
a self described 'Aficinado' see my avatar's title/credit

~~~~~~

add:

the onlt 'touble' i see you getting inti... is typing real slowly into the
posting box, as your deliberating you thought & message.
that must really irk some mods... typing in your post with tons of restarts/erasures/ star overs... to finally get a point across..

instead of using your own PCs word pad or whatever
to compose your post then cut-&-paste it to the sites posting box.

Oh, and my memory.... i regularly search for the idea/word with agonizing slowness for the 40 year olds around me... lots of times i just let the idea die in an incomplete sentence, while my brain races through the Alphabet to finally 'recall' the word or experience i was speaking of... and i must sound like a Tourettes person, by blurting out a word or idea out-of-the-clear-blue...
i tend to apologize & relate that i have to do it this way...(the minutes delayed reply/response) because all the time i was silent was not because i forgot the immediate moments conversation... but because i was So busy concentrating on the subject at hand.... to the point of distancing myself to the casual observer

[edit on 7-7-2010 by St Udio]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join