It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany Takes Legal Steps Against Facebook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Germany Takes Legal Steps Against Facebook

www.time.com

diggs
digg
(BERLIN) — A German data protection official said Wednesday he launched legal proceedings against Facebook, which he accused of illegally accessing and saving personal data of people who don't use the social networking site.

Johannes Caspar said his Hamburg data protection office had initiated legal steps that could result in Facebook being fined tens of thousands of euros for saving private information of individuals who don't use the site and haven't
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Ha!

Good for your Germany, show Facebook and their evil little data mining ways that you won't take it.

He could not give a specific number, but said that it indicated third parties' data had been obtained by Facebook had been saved for future use.

"Given that several million people in Germany alone are members, this is a very unsettling notion," he said.

This is great IMO, it should be illegal for companies to data mine users and provide the information to third parties without EXPRESS consent from the people.

Thoughts?

~Keeper

www.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

A German data protection official said Wednesday he launched legal proceedings against Facebook, which he accused of illegally accessing and saving personal data of people who don't use the social networking site.

How is it possible to get to the personal data of people who don't use Facebook? Was Facebook hacking into people's computers or something?

That misunderstanding aside, I'm glad that the German government is taking action against Facebook. I remember seeing a news story a few months ago where it came out that the T&C for the German edition of Facebook is written in such a way that if a person signs up for Facebook in Germany, Facebook is allowed to take and sell the pictures that you upload to third parties that want to use them in big poster ads or billboards.

So, for example, say I had a picture of myself on Facebook where I was making a really stupid face. If I signed up for Facebook in Germany, if an advertiser saw my picture, they could buy it from Facebook, without my knowledge, and then make a sign that says something like, "Doesn't this drunk person look like a stupid monkey?"

Of course, this provision was buried in the legalese of the Facebook T&C so very few actually noticed it.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Facebook is place where slaves voluntarily register their identities and reveal their thoughts. An ideal source of information for future prosecutions perhaps?

Multi-billion dollar corporations are only allowed to exist for one reason and one reason only. To perpetuate, through deception, the subjugation and enslavement of humanity. All things that are detrimental to the development of our sovereign selves receive little, if any, financial backing.

I would beware of the things you say on ATS as well, for their might be laws being drafted this very moment, that would criminalize the things you've spoken here.

Perhaps, one day you might find yourself on a social networking site, monitored by Homeland security. Every day you speak decent, is another day of evidence gathering for your future trial as a home grown terrorist.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Good for Germany I closed my facebook account months ago because I found myself trying remain relevant in other peoples lives, and that's not the way it should be! I had so many people on my account that I honestly couldn't tell you 3 things about them. I just thought how can I seriously be invested in more than my close friends and family really? It devalues the term friend.

God knows what sort of info they store on you, it's like Google mining but with pictures to match your social commentaries. Some of the things people say on facebook are ridiculous it's like they don't think it's real life or something.

Here's a good example of the retarded things people say on Facebook enjoy;

www.lamebook.com...

new topics

top topics

join