It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whatever happened to FDR's second bill of rights?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Here are highlights of what he proposed. I like this idea and feel it would solve a lot of problems. Is it too late to try to get this enacted now?

"The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;

The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;

The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;

The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;

The right of every family to a decent home;

The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;

The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;

The right to a good education."

(www.ustaxreform.us...)

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
this is in the wrong forum. I meant to put this under politics but not current. Moderators if you can move this to the apporaite forum on above top secret.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
There is no way that anyone in power would have allowed this to be pushed forward. FDR knew that he screwed America when he sold her to the bankers.

Andrew Jackson tried to warn everyone. Link

This was a dying man's attempt to redeem himself. You see this a lot these days.

e.g. - Gates is a "humanitarian" after enslaving the population.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

Sounds like the same kind of BS they sold the Russian people to get them prepared for the Communist revolution.

You cannot make those things rights or then by default you could just demand them and work as little as possible, because you have a right to them.

FDR WAS A COMMUNIST!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

It died because it was stupid, so people dont want to work they wanna live off the governments Tit. You cant wish everyone a nice house and job. As nice as it sounds it just isnt going to happen....

The 2nd Bill of Rights should stay buried and we should throw SSI and Medicare in with it.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I think the second bill of rights are great. What is wrong with everyone having enough to live?

If You look below you will see that this is what humans beings need to live.
The most basic is food and shelter. How is that communism? We can't get to our higher needs if the first ones are not met.
Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

1 Self Actualization Needs
(full potential)

2 Esteem Needs
(self respect, personal worth, autonomy)

3 Love and Belongingness Needs
(love, friendship, comradeship)

4 Safety Needs
(security; protection from harm)

5 Physiological Needs
(food, sleep, stimulation, activity)

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by poedxsoldiervet

So what you are saying is not everyone had the right to eat and have shelter?
If we don't make these a right soon then every single one of us could be homeless and strave because it is not a right. I think what FDR was trying to do was to protect the people of the United States from the tragedies of the Great Depression.
Alll those programs he set up saved people.
If we have to have money to live we need jobs or else a different system needs to be set up.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by dreamseeker]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

If we threw out Medicare and SSI a lot of people would suffer. That sounds really heartless to me. I believe in the well being of ALL people regardless of socio economic status, ager, race or disablity. I believe in freedom for ALL people not a few.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The real question should be....

Whatever happened to the Constitutional Bill of Rights?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   
but we need more than just freedom of speech, the right bear arms etc. Actually in the consitution doesn't it state somewhere we have the right of happiness? How can one be happy without shelter or food? Th higher archy of needs means in order for someone to live this person needs food, shelter but in order to obtian these things in capitilism one needs a job.

link   

Thats all fine and dandy, I am not a rich person at all. But you cannot feed,house, and cloth every single American nor could you do it throughout the world. Its a nice idea on paper, but it simple can not and will not happen...

Unless you are content on being a surf.

link   

What is next?
A right to internet and cable tv and hand lotion?

So we have all that we need, then who is going to actually work to provide it to us?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I disagree EVERYONE needs food and a home. If they do not have these things they will die. What do you suggest in order to protect people then? Is it ok to allow people to simply die because the few on top are too selfish to share?
We have enough resources for everyone!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker

If we threw out Medicare and SSI a lot of people would suffer. That sounds really heartless to me. I believe in the well being of ALL people regardless of socio economic status, ager, race or disablity. I believe in freedom for ALL people not a few.

That may be the case, but SSI and Medicare have balloned into an uncontrollable debt. Some where to the tune 70 trillion dollars...

You are right we all soon will be out of a house and home... ANd if you added the FDR's stupid 2nd bill of rights... we would be done.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Actually in the consitution doesn't it state somewhere we have the right of happiness? How can one be happy without shelter or food?

I don't think that the founders of this country could have even imagined that people would become so selfish and lazy as to expect the world to provide them with food or shelter, so I doubt that s what they had in mind when they thought of happiness.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZuluChaka

What is next?
A right to internet and cable tv and hand lotion?

So we have all that we need, then who is going to actually work to provide it to us?

Now that sounds ridculous. Everyone has a right to live. Having shelter and food is not a luxery. I really thought most people on ats would agree with this. Most people on here are about rights; or is it just "their" rights?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

No we dont have enough resources for everyone.. you cannot give someone a home... Who will build it? how will they keep it cool? How will they put food in it? If you can come up with a plan that does it for 7 Billion people and it works and doesnt saddle us with more debt then go for it....

You wont be able to..

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker

It is heartless, and a moronic thing to say. Just ignore them.

There is always a certain slice of population who have no sense of common good or human rights. Unfortunately some are trolls on these boards, best thing is just ignore them and focus on the more intelligent responses.

Kharron

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ZuluChaka

Your right, some people have become lazy, some greedy, the government is not suppose to take care of you... You are suppose to take care of yourself.

And if you cant thats what family is for not the government.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ZuluChaka

Wow your comments really do not make sense in this economy.
What FDR proposed was everyone have the right to support themselves to live a decent life. It has nothing to do with selfishness or being lazy. How is it selfish to want too feed, cloth and house your family?
We are talking about basic human needs thats all not fancy BMWs or cell phones. We are talking about an idea from the 1940s before materialism took over.
Sure there are the selfish and lazy; but what about those people who are good?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join